Enrolment Instructions


If you are a continuing research candidate and need to re-enrol, please click here.

Once a candidate has accepted their place in a Higher Degree Research program at UNSW they are required to enrol for each semester up to and including the point at which they submit their thesis. The instructions below describe how to enrol in research study for the first year of your program, as well as some other useful information relating to your research enrolment.

Further Information 

For further information regarding enrolment procedures contact your School Office or the Graduate Research School on +61 2 9385 5500

For enrolment key faculty contacts, please click here


STEP 1 Enrolment

Kensington Campus Students - Enrolment forms will be sent by the Graduate Research School to your School or Faculty Office at the beginning of each semester. It is important that new research candidates contact their School to get advice on specific program requirements, and any required coursework for their program. Once this is done candidates should sign the enrolment form to state that they agree to enrol as shown on the form, and check that the contact details on the form are correct. Any changes can be recorded on the space provided. Once the form is completed, your School will need to sign the form, and then it can be sent to the relevant Candidiature Management Officer at the GRS, or brought directly to the GRS in person (see GRS Contacts for relevant staff and office location). 

Please Note: Candidates who hold a RTP stipend, UPA, UIPA or TFS, will also need to submit the Commencement of Study form which came with their scholarship offer letter when they enrol in order to initiate payments.

UNSW Art & Design Paddington Campus - Candidates enrolling in programs at UNSW Art & Design should contact Joanna Elliot in the Art & Design Student Centre by telephone on 8936 0608 or email j.elliot@unsw.edu.au to make an appointment to enrol at the Paddington campus. At your enrolment appointment you will be able to collect your enrolment form, discuss your enrolment, and have the form signed and approved. Art & Design Student Centre staff can also provide you with your Student ID card (Steps 1, 2 and 3 can all be completed at the Art & Design Student Centre)

For School and Faculty enrolment contacts, please click here

STEP 2 Collect your student ID card

  1. Log into my.unsw.edu.au
  2. In the student portal, click on the link “Student ID – Self-Service” https://photoid.unsw.edu.au/login
  3. Complete the application (students will need to attach a photo of themselves).
  4. Once the application is submitted, approval takes approx. 24 hours.
  5. Students will receive an email (sent to their Zmail address) to advise them that their card is ready for collection, they will also receive a code, and information on where to collect the ID card. Students MUST take this code to the UNSW Library collection point – located near the main Library entrance.

STEP 3 Attend Research Student Induction


Attendance at this event by all students commencing a PhD, MPhil or Masters by Research is essential to ensure a smooth transition to research study at UNSW. The Induction will provide you with crucial information on key issues about your candidature. Please see http://research.unsw.edu.au/induction-postgraduate-researchers for more details.



The University expects that students will be available to enrol before the commencement of semester. All Australian Universities are required to report student enrolments to the Australian Government shortly after the commencement of each semester. Late enrolment may also not be possible where the required coursework in a program has already commenced.  Please see https://student.unsw.edu.au/calendar for more details on semester commencement dates.

If a commencing student cannot enrol by the beginning of the semester they may be required to defer their offer of admission to a later semester, and should contact their School or Faculty Office, or the Graduate Research School for advice.


Following the passing of legislation by the Australian Government, universities and other higher education providers charge a Student Services and Amenities Fee. UNSW charges this fee to all research candidates, domestic or international. For more information please see https://student.unsw.edu.au/ssaf. It is your responsibility to access your fees statement on-line after enrolment. Failure to view your statement and pay any fees owed may result in the cancellation of your enrolment. The University does not issue fee statements by mail.


Once your enrolment has been processed tuition fees will be recorded against your account. It is your responsibility to access your fee statement on-line after enrolment. To access your statement on-line go to myUNSW. Failure to view your statement and pay any fees owed may result in the cancellation of your enrolment. The University does not issue fee statements by mail.


Student Development International (SDI) runs a variety of events and services to ensure that your transition to UNSW runs smoothly. This includes Orientation programs, airport reception, information regarding temporary accommodation and the SDI peer mentor program. They also organise a variety of events and trips throughout the year. For full information email international.student@unsw.edu.au or visit http://www.international.unsw.edu.au/