Three Minute Thesis Competition
Graduate Research School
The 2015 UNSW 3MT Interfaculty Final is shaping up to be a fantastic event. If you are a UNSW research candidate you should start thinking about entering your faculty heat.
- 1st place: Rosemary Barnes, Engineering solutions to political problems: the answer is blowing in the wind (Engineering UNSW Canberra) - Click here to see the presentation
- Runner-up, People's Choice Prize and ASPIRE Award: Andrew Craig, Predicting the impact of a Chlamydia vaccine for koalas (Medicine) - Click here to see the presentation on UNSWTV
2015 3MT Interfaculty Final
The 3 Minute Thesis (3MT) is an academic competition developed by the University of Queensland for PhD and Research Masters candidates. With just three minutes to give a compelling presentation on their thesis topic and its significance, the 3MT competition forces research candidates to consolidate their ideas and crystallise their research discoveries.
UNSW 3MT 2015 Interfaculty Final
4:30pm to 7:30pm
Click here for event detail
UNSW Prizes 2015 Prizes
- First prize $3,000 plus entry into the 2015 Trans-Tasman Competition at the University of Queensland as well as the U21 final, a virtual event with judges watching video entries rather than live presentations
- Runner-up prize $1,500
- People’s Choice prize $1,000
- ASPIRE prize $500
ASPIRE is a UNSW widening participation program that works with school students to support their educational aspirations. This year at 3MT we will have some of the school students from this program as VIP guests, and they will be awarding a special ASPIRE Prize for the presentation they enjoy the most.
UNSW 3MT 2015 Faculty Heat contacts and dates
|Faculty||Contact||Heat date||Heat time||Location|
|UNSW Art and Design||Jo Elliotfirstname.lastname@example.org||TBC||TBC||TBC|
|Arts and Social Sciences||Amy Stansfieldemail@example.com||TBC||TBC||TBC|
|UNSW Business School||Jenny Hislopfirstname.lastname@example.org||12 August||11am - 1pm||
Business School Lounge, West Foyer, Level 6 Business School
|Engineering||Lynne O'Sullivanemail@example.com||27 July||2 - 5pm||Engineering Design Studio, Level 5, Mechanical Engineering Building (J17)|
|Medicine||Petrina Choongfirstname.lastname@example.org||3 July||2:30 - 4:30pm||Wallace Wurth’s Lower Ground Theatre 3|
|Science||Morgan Suttonemail@example.com||30 July||TBC||Leighton Hall, Scientia|
|UNSW Canberra||Luke Garner||L.Garner@adfa.edu.au||TBC||TBC||TBC|
UNSW 3MT Interfaculty Final Judges and MC to be announced
UNSW 3MT 2015 - Eligibility, Rules and Judging Criteria
• Candidates who are active in a higher degree research program
• Candidates must be on track for timely completion
• Graduates are not eligible
1) A single, static PowerPoint slide is permitted
2) No additional electronic media
3) No additional props
4) Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum – competitors exceeding 3 minutes will be disqualified
5) The decision of the adjudicating panel is final
1) Communication style: was the thesis topic and its significance communicated in language appropriate to an intelligent but non-specialist audience?
2) Comprehension: did the presentation help the audience understand the research?
3) Engagement: did the oration make the audience want to know more?