United States National Institute of Health (NIH)
Grants Management Office
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) is composed of 27 Institutes and Centres and provides leadership and financial support to medical researchers in every state of the USA and throughout the world.
Finding NIH Funding Opportunities
Subscribe to NIH Funding Opportunities and Notices
Search at Find Grant Opportunities
Applying for NIH Funding
The NIH handles all grant applications through the Grants.gov website.
Note that UNSW has completed all the registrations required to apply through Grants.gov. All PIs named on an application will also need to be registered as a PI on the eRA Commons system to successfully submit an application to the NIH. Please contact your Grants Officer for further information.
You must submit a draft version of your application to the Grants Management Office (send to firstname.lastname@example.org) for compliance checking and approval at least ten working days prior to the external due date.
General comments and useful information on applying to the NIH
UNSW is defined under NIH policy as a foreign institution.
Applications from foreign institutions are evaluated and scored using the standard assessment criteria but also have to address some additional criteria
1. How the project will use unique or unusual talent, resources, populations or environmental conditions that are not readily available in the US or that build on existing US resources
2. Whether the proposed project has specific relevance to the mission and objectives of the Institute and has the potential to significantly advance health sciences in the US
1. All applications from foreign institutions need to submit a detailed budget
2. Facilities and Administration (F&A) costs are the infrastructure support or indirect costs that UNSW deducts from grants. Researchers should request 3% of their budget in F&A costs for all US Federal Awards. The 3% will be deducted from your grant at setup and will be used to meet allowable UNSW compliance costs such as:
- Legal and insurance costs
- Ethics approval and trial monitoring costs
- The cost of complying with OH&S requirements in a laboratory environment
- The cost of annual A133 Certification
Facilities and Administration costs are not to be used to support the acquisition of, or provide for depreciation on, any capital expenditures, or support the normal, general operations of foreign and international organisations.
If you wish to claim for these costs against deducted infrastructure support funding, please contact email@example.com with the details of your claim.
4. The application budget, and your justification should be stated in US dollars and the exchange rate used be clearly stated in your justification.
5. NIH will not compensate foreign grantees for changes in exchange rates.
Allowable (Direct) Costs
- The costs must be specifically and readily identifiable to a specific project with a high degree of accuracy.
- The costs are required by the project scope, due to the project’s special purpose or circumstances.
- The costs must be specifically budgeted as a line item in the proposal budget and justified in the proposal narrative.
- Fly America Act Applies (must fly American Airlines)