Vice-Chancellor’s Postdoctoral Research Fellowships
Division of Research Postdoctoral Research Fellowships
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2015 ROUND HAVE NOW CLOSED. APPLICATIONS WILL OPEN FOR THE 2016 ROUND IN MID-2015.
Vice-Chancellor’s Postdoctoral Research Fellowships are awarded to early career researchers of exceptional calibre wishing to conduct full-time research at UNSW in any of its areas of research strengths.
Conditions of Award
- Applicants must be either external to UNSW i.e., not currently hold an appointment at UNSW or UNSW affiliated organisations (NeuRA, Garvan, VCCRI, CCIA) or internal to UNSW but have not held an appointment at UNSW or UNSW affiliated organisations prior to 1 January 2014.
- Applicants must have been awarded a PhD, conferred (dated on testamur) no earlier than 1 January 2010; or for applicants who are expecting to soon be awarded a PhD, it must be conferred (dated on testamur) by 30 November 2014 to accept the Fellowship;
- If the applicant was awarded a PhD from UNSW they must have spent at least 2 years employed at another university or research institution and the Fellowship must not be undertaken with the applicant’s UNSW PhD supervisor as a mentor;
- Fellows will become full time employees of UNSW and be based at UNSW for the full duration of the Fellowship (except for periods of approved leave or travel);
- Fellowships will be offered for a period of 2 years, renewable for a third year subject to research performance in the top 25% of their level of appointment;
- UNSW employment conditions apply to the Fellowship, including such entitlements as relocation allowance on appointment;
- A salary (taxable) will be provided at Level A or B of the UNSW academic salary scale based on years of experience as determined by UNSW;
- A research support grant of A$10,000 per annum for three years will be provided to assist with research costs. This sum is paid per calendar year and must be utilised within the same year;
- Once a Fellow has accepted an offer, they will be required forthwith and for the duration of the Fellowship, to actively use all available opportunities to seek externally-funded fellowships applicable to their discipline such as from the ARC (e.g. DECRA) or NHMRC (e.g. ECF & CDF Level 1). Fellows are also expected to actively seek other external research funding during the course of their Fellowship.
- If a successful applicant is awarded a fellowship from another source, the UNSW Vice-Chancellor’s Postdoctoral Fellowship must be relinquished within 2 months of notification and prior to commencement of the other award.
- Fellows are required to submit an annual progress report detailing their progress to date, publications, career development and intended program for the following year to the Grants Management Office and be accompanied by a Head of School’s report;
- A final report is to be submitted to the Grants Management Office at the completion of the Fellowship or on termination if earlier;
- Fellows must comply with all of the UNSW research policies including the UNSW Intellectual Property Policy.
Application Round Dates
|1 May 2014:||Applications Open.|
|1 May - 4 July 2014:||Applicants to contact Heads of Schools regarding advice re mentors, whether their research is aligned with School research priorities, and an indication of whether they should develop a full application.|
|4 July 2014:||Closing date for applicants to submit completed application to Heads of School.|
|23 July 2014:||Heads of Schools to notify applicants if they have been shortlisted for consideration.|
|By end September 2014:||First round offers made to successful applicants via email.|
|28 February 2015:||Latest date for Fellows to take up position at UNSW.|
|Nalisa Mam||+61 2 9385 5638||+61 2 9385 firstname.lastname@example.org|