Visiting Researchers

Domestic and international candidates enrolled at National and International Universities can visit UNSW to conduct short-term research as part of their research program. Short-term research visits promote research collaboration with other institutions and allow students to gain research experience at UNSW. Whilst conducting research at UNSW, visiting candidates have access to an appropriate supervisor, services, library, campus amenities and liability insurance whilst on UNSW premises. Guidelines and application procedures differ for domestic and international students.

International research delegations interested in visiting UNSW can request and plan a visit on the International Visits website.

Postgraduate Research Candidates at Australian Universities

Only candidates enrolled at an Australian University are eligible for consideration to come to UNSW as a visiting researcher. Visiting researchers must continue to be enrolled at their home University to be eligible for a short research visit. Visiting postgraduate researchers are not liable for UNSW student fees (but may be liable for fees at their home institution). Undergraduate and postgraduate coursework students are not eligible to apply in this manner. Please note that all matters relating to the higher degree research candidature are the responsibility of the home institution. The visiting researcher does not have a student status at UNSW.

Application Procedures

A visiting researcher application form must be completed. The applicant should provide information about their current enrolment and supervision at their home institution and the details of the person recommending their visit at UNSW (ie the person hosting them at UNSW). The form also contains a checklist which must be completed indicating that all necessary attachments have been included and that issues such as potential IP and workplace health and safety have been addressed.Once this is complete the form must be endorsed by the appropriate Head of School.  The completed and endorsed form should then be sent with the completed and endorsed OSA02 Online Services Access form to the IT Service Centre in order to provision IT services. In order to be granted up to 6 months access you must select 'contractor' in Section 1 - Application Category on this form. Once this is done arrangements can be made with FM Assist to get an ID card.

Guidelines for endorsement of visiting researchers

  • Short-term stays may be approved for periods of up to six months or less unless there are specific circumstances to justify a longer appointment.
  • Applicants must be judged to be competent in their masters or doctoral study and be undertaking study in fields relevant to the research interests of UNSW.
  • An application must be submitted on the Visiting Researcher application form.
  • The ownership of any Intellectual Property arising from the work must be addressed.
  • A UNSW proposer for the visit must be identified
  • Appropriate workplace health and safety arrangements must be in place, including an induction for the visiting researcher. Liability and personal accident insurance must be in place at the home institution that covers the visiting researcher for the duration of the stay.
  • Evidence of current enrolment in a research program at an Australian University must be provided.


Postgraduate Research Students from Overseas Institutions (Practicum Student Program)

The Professional Practicum Program is designed for students from overseas universities who wish to come to UNSW to obtain research experience or professional/industrial practice. This professional Practicum is for a limited period (usually between two and six months) and may be a formal requirement for the award of a degree at the student's home university. This is a full-time, non-award research program and participants are liable for an application fee. The program enables Practicum students to obtain a Student Visa from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

The International Exchange Program is responsible for administering the Professional Practicum Program. For information on guidelines, application procedures and forms, language and academic requirements, fee schedule, enrolment and contact details, please visit the Professional Practicum Student Program webpage.


Endeavour Postgraduate Research Fellowships

The Commonwealth Government’s Endeavour Postgraduate Research Fellowships enable international students to seek academic affiliation with an Australian institution for a period of four to six months for study and/or research in their chosen field.

For staff wishing to know more about this program please contact Tatjana Kroll in Student Development (International) by email at or by telephone on 93855338.