Non-ACGR scheme applications must comply with UNSW's policy for pricing and indirect costs. Many philanthropic Funds and Foundations provide funding for university research. In cases where research grant funding is awarded via an advertised competitive application round, the submission of applications is managed through the GMO, which will also manage the grant once awarded. See 'managing research income from philanthropic funding schemes' for further information.
UNSW Support for Category 1 Fellowships (non-ARC/NHMRC)
Applicants for non-ARC/NHMRC Fellowships listed on the ACGR (Cat1 Fellowships) may be entitled to Central support to meet salary gaps (where the salary is set a level below the equivalent UNSW rate) and/or where matching funding/co-contribution is a Scheme requirement. Please contact the Director GMO to confirm arrangements. Please note, retrospective funding is NOT available - this applies to submissions in 2014 and onwards.
For ARC/NHMRC named Fellowships, EB gaps will be automatically met by Central. The process is managed by the Research Finance Office. Please direct any enquiries to your Research Accountant
Category 1 Grants
Grants which are listed on the ACGR are classified as “Category 1” Grants, and are exempt from having to include indirect costs of research. This is indicated next to each scheme below where applicable. For more information on funding categories, see the Higher Education Data Collection category specifications document.
Non Corporate Commonwealth entities Funding Schemes
All non-corporate Commonwealth entities, including the Australian Research Council (ARC) and National Health & Medical Research Council (NHMRC) must only publish scheme documentation on GrantConnect to meet the requirements under the Commonwealth Grants Rules and Guidelines (CGRGs). GrantConnect is the authoritative source of information in relation to all Grant Opportunities and Grant Opportunity Guidelines— This includes Grant Guidelines (formerly known as Funding Rules) for all schemes under the National Competitive Grants Programs (NCGP). You will need to sign in or create a User Registration account in GrantConnect to access all relevant documentation for Grant Opportunities. Go to the GrantConnect website. Also accessible via https://www.grants.gov.au/
Eligibility and Submission
For application and submission support notify the Grants Management Office (GMO) of your intent to apply as soon as possible. All applications from UNSW Staff and Students must be submitted via the GMO. The internal deadline for submission of grant applications to the GMO is 2 weeks prior to the Sponsors deadline , this time frame allows the GMO to ensure applications comply with UNSW policies and sponsor requirement.
Ongoing funding schemes and opportunities
- Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research | Research Program
- Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) | Advancing Renewables
- Australian Institute of Judicial Administration | Seed Funding
- City of Sydney | Knowledge Exchange sponsorship
- Department of Defence & Industry, Innovation & Science | New Air Combat Capability - Industry Support Program
- Department of Industry, Innovation & Science | The Defence Global Competitive Grants
- Department of Industry, Innovation & Science | Incubator Support - New & Existing Incubators
- Department of Industry, Innovation & Science | Innovation Connections
- Horticulture Innovation Australia
- Open Technology Fund | Rapid Response Fund
- National Science Foundation | Geospace Environmental Grant
- The Simons Foundation | Targeted Grants in Mathematics and Physical Sciences
- Wetenhall Environmental Trust I Small Environment Grant
- USAID | Development Innovation Ventures
Access Australian Funding Sponsors, Organisations and the Government departments
- Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA)
- Department of Agriculture & Water
- Department of Environment
- Department of Foreign Affairs
- Department of Health
- Department of Defence
- Department of Industry Innovation & Science
- Department of Social Services
Finding Funding Opportunities through other sources
- Grant News
Subscribe to the Grant News Bulletin for regular updates on grant funding opportunities. To subscribe, send an email to email@example.com from your UNSW email account. Service available to UNSW Staff and student only.
- Access the SPIN Research Grant Database via InfoEd
The SPIN research database allows researchers to access details about potential funding sources, both local and overseas. The search engine enables researchers to tailor their interrogations of the database.
Log into InfoEd using your zID and zPass.
On the top bar, click the 'Find Funding' icon. This will take you directly to SPIN, you do not need to log in again.
- GMO Guide: How Do I Find Grant Funding? You will be required to use your UNSW zID and password to access this document.