Dr. Jason Xu is an ARC Future Fellow and Senior Lecturer in School of Chemical Engineering, UNSW Sydney. He is currently leading a research group in the Centre for Advanced Macromolecular Design (CAMD) and Australian Centre for NanoMedicine (ACN), with the focus on green and precision polymer synthesis using state-of-the-art polymerization techniques and organic chemistry tools. Dr. Xu received his bachelor and PhD degree in polymer chemistry from Fudan University in China, where he focused on developing RAFT polymerization. Following the postdoctoral research in UNSW Australia and the University of Melbourne and industrial experience, he joined UNSW again to develop visible light-induced living polymerization and precision polymer synthesis.
See more in Group website: https://www.jiangtaoxu.com/
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Green chemistry and sustainable polymer synthesis
- Precision polymer synthesis mimicking natural perfection
- Photoredox catalysis for living polymerization
- Advanced polymer materials for nanomedicine and bioengineering applications
PUBLICATION RECORD SUMMARY
- More than 100 peer-reviewed journal articles and reviews in high-impact journals (e.g. JACS, Angew. Chem., Chem Rev., Chem. Soc. Rev., Chemical Science and Macromolecules etc.);
- More than 6000 citation and H-index of 44 (https://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=uQeAcMoAAAAJ&hl=en);
- 14 ISI Highly Cited Papers in the last 10 years rated by ISI web of Science Essential Science Indicators
GRANTS, HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2020 - Selected as “Pioneering Investigator” by Polymer Chemistry;
- 2019 - Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery Project (DP190100067);
- 2018 - Selected as “Emerging Investigator” by Chemical Communications
- 2018 - UNSW Gold Star Award 2018
- 2017 - 2018 UNSW Research Infrastructure Scheme Grant (RIS)
- 2017 - Selected as “Emerging Investigator” by Polymer Chemistry;
- 2017 - UNSW Faculty of Engineering Academic Start-up Fund;
- 2017 - Visiting Professor in Nagoya University (one month) funded by Nagoya University-Venture Business Laboratory (NU-VBL);
- 2016 - Australian Research Council (ARC) Future Fellowship (FT160100095);
- 2015, 2016 - Australian Centre for NanoMedicine (ACN) Seed Funding Program;
- 2013 - Leading Talent of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Fund, Zhejiang Province, China.
- 2012 - The University of Melbourne Early Career Researcher Grant (ECRG) Scheme 2012.
- 2007 - Excellent Graduate Award of Fudan University;
- Guanghua Graduate Student Awards (2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006), Fudan University, China;
- Undergraduate Student Awards (1998, 1999, 2000 and 2001), Fudan University, China.
- Invited and Keynote Talks
- 11th Research Symposium for Chinese Scholars in Australia, Dec. 1, 2018, Swinburne University of Technology, VIC, Australia;
- Emerging Polymer/Material Technologies Summit (EPTS/EMTS’18), Nov. 4-8, 2018, Hanoi, Vietnam;
- 2nd International Conference of Molecular Engineering of Polymers (MEP-2018), Sept. 20-23, 2018, Shanghai, China;
- 255th ACS National Meeting Spring 2018, March 18-22, 2018, New Orleans, LA;
- Euroscicon-Polymer Chemistry 2018, March 26-28, 2018, Vienna, Austria;
- 10th Research Symposium for Chinese Scholars in Australia, Nov., 18, 2017, Monash University, VIC, Australia;
- Biopolymer Congress 2016, Aug. 4-5th, 2016, Manchester, UK;
- Professional Society Membership
- American Chemical Society (ACS) (since 2014)
- Royal Australian Chemistry Institute (RACI) (since 2011).
- Reviewer Service
- ACS Petroleum Research Fund (PRF), ARC Discovery Project reviews, ARC Linkage Project reviews, External thesis reviewer/committee, etc;
- Reviewer for a large range of journals: Journal of the American Chemical Society, Angewandte Chemie, Nature Communications, Chemical Communications, Macromolecules, Polymer Chemistry, ACS macro Letters, and Macromolecular Rapid Communication, etc.
- Editor service
- Guest Editor of Special Issue “Precision Polymer Synthesis” for the journal of Polymers in 2017; http://www.mdpi.com/journal/polymers/special_issues/precision_polymer_synthesis
TEACHING AND SUPERVISION
- CEIC8105 Advanced Polymer Science
- CEIC4002 Thesis A
- CEIC4003 Thesis B
- CEIC9002 Advanced Thesis A
- CEIC9003 Advanced Thesis B
- Dr Jason Xu, Group leader
- Dr Nathaniel Corrigan, Postdoc, Feb., 2019-present
- Ms Yingying Chu, PhD, S1 2017 (primary supervision)
- Mr Chengyu Wu, PhD, S1 2017 (co-supervised with Prof Boyer)
- Mr Zixuan Huang, PhD, S2 2017 (primary supervision)
- Dr Guofeng Li, Visiting Fellow (from BUCT)
- Mr. Shiyang Lin MPhil, S1, 2018 (Primary supervision)
- Mr Ruizhe Liu PhD, S2 2018 (primary supervision)
- Ms Kaiqi Pan PhD, S2 2018 (primary supervision)
- Ms Lei Zhang PhD, S2 2018 (primary supervision)
- honors students: Mr Nicolas Veldhuizen, Ms Grace Le, Ms Tongxin Cao, Mr Hang xiao, Ms Ashley He, Mr Yuanpeng Cao, Mr Youzhi Zheng and Ms Zhenru Li.
Dr. Xu is looking for enthusiastic, highly motivated and self-disciplined students majoring in Polymer/Organic/Material/Medicinal Chemistry to join the group. The research project description can be found in the link: https://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/chemical-engineering/research/postgraduate-research/research-projects. For interested applicants please contact Dr. Jason Xu via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Domestic Research Scholarship, please refer to this link: https://research.unsw.edu.au/domestic-research-scholarships
- International Research Scholarship, please refer to this link: https://research.unsw.edu.au/international-research-scholarships
- UNSW Scientia PhD scholarship, please check https://research.unsw.edu.au/unsw-scientia-phd-scholarship-scheme
- UNSW-China Scholarship Council (CSC) Joint Scholarship program (中国国家公派出国留学奖学金). For more details, click here. To apply CSC, click here. Top-up scholarship (7k pa) will be provided to CSC awardees.
- UNSW / HEC Pakistan Joint Scholarship, please check https://research.unsw.edu.au/unsw-home-country-joint-scholarships;
- UNSW / CONICYT Chile Joint Scholarship, please check https://research.unsw.edu.au/unsw-home-country-joint-scholarships;
- Postdoc and Research Assistant positions are available at specific time. Please contact Dr Xu for opportunities.
My current research projects:
Green polymer synthesis and PET-RAFT technology: Green polymer synthesis is a fast developing area upon the environment requirement of energy saving and low carbon emission for chemical industry. I have had an excellent starting point since 2013 for this direction to use diverse eco-friendly materials as photocatalysts to activate commonly used polymer production line. This technology was termed as “PET-RAFT”, which are able to develop various efficient and selective polymerization processes. Meanwhile, catalyst immobilization technologies and flow reaction process make the polymer manufacturing industrially viable.
Precision polymer synthesis through single unit monomer insertion (SUMI) technology: Precise synthetic polymers to mimic natural biopolymers (protein, DNA and polysaccharide) and accurately control primary structures and stereo regularity is one of the “Holy Grail” frontier topics in macromolecular science. An innovative methodology using visible light catalyzed SUMI technology has been developed to produce discrete and stereospecific polymers with precise structures and functionalities along polymer chains. This breakthrough results can foresee the applications in artificial enzyme, data storage and drug discovery.
Biomedical materials from functional double network hydrogels: Double network hydrogels are wearable and soft materials with excellent biocompatibility, high strength and elasticity and self-healability. A unique device with exceptional electric sensitivity upon applied strains was fabricated from natural substance and biocompatible polyacrylamide for the potential application of biosensors and strain sensors.