This workshop will benefit researchers and research students from a wide variety of disciplines. Regular Expressions (regexes) are a powerful way to handle a multitude of different types of data and are incredibly powerful for analysis and manipulation of any data stored in text format. Come along to learn what they can do and how to apply them to your research.
You will learn how to:
- Comprehend and apply the syntax of regular expressions
- Use the http://regexr.com tool to test a regular expression against some text
- Construct simple regular expressions to find capitalised words; all numbers; all words that start with a specific set of letters, etc. in a block of text
- Craft and test a progressively more complex regular expression
- Find helpful resources covering regular expressions on the web
Please note: A 'Regular Expressions on Command' workshop (which this session is a prerequisite for) is being held in the afternoon on the same date. If you are interested in attending the Regular Expressions on Command please click here for further information.
Additional courses: are being offered by UNSW throughout the year and course overviews are available on the eResearch Training Resources website.
UNSW researchers are also permitted to attend Intersect-run courses at any of the Intersect member institutions. If you would like to run a dedicated course offered by Intersect for your team please contact DVR Infrastructure at email@example.com.