The Grants Management Office (GMO) facilitates the research efforts of UNSW staff through the provision of pre- award grant services and the management of all post-award activities for external research funds (both grant and contract research). The GMO also provides full management services for ethics monitoring.
All grant applications to be administered at UNSW must be submitted through the Grants Management Office and provide advice on funding rules and review applications for compliance and eligibility issues prior to submission to the sponsor.
The Grant Cycle
Resources and Support for your Research application
Budget Preparation - Tools and resources to assist in the preparation of a budget for a grant proposal
UNSW Pricing Tool - Pricing tool to calculate UNSW indirect costs on externally funded research grants and contracts
Research Strategy Office - Strategic advice, support and training to assist UNSW researchers in developing competitive funding applications and local and international research collaborations
UNSW Research Support Services - UNSW Services avaiable for Researchers to support all Research including Impact, Infrastructure, Ethics and Compliance, Research Development and Research Collaboration
Authority to accept grant
Although an offer will normally refer to a chief investigator and a specific project, research funds are legally awarded to the UNSW. Most funding agencies require that a University delegate sign a grant award. Researchers are not permitted to sign grant acceptances on behalf of the University. Only the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) and approved delegates have the authority to accept research grants or fellowships and to accept conditions of award on behalf of the University.
Where an application has been successful the Grants Management Office will generate and provide you with a Grants Acceptance Form. Please contact email@example.com if you require a copy of this form for a grant you have been awarded.
Review of funding contract/conditions of award
The Grants Management Office reviews any proposed contract for the award or renewal or modification of a grant to ensure that the conditions are acceptable, usually in conjunction with the Legal Office (Research). If necessary, the Legal Office (Research) will negotiate any changes to the grant conditions on behalf of the University. Contract review is undertaken in consultation with the researcher who is kept informed of developments.
The bare minimum required by the Grants Management Office before a research project can be opened is:
- Grant Acceptance Form
- Letter of Offer/Agreement
- Copy of Application
For major granting rounds such as the ARC and NHMRC, the funding body will send funding rules and agreements to the institution. UNSW also receives a copy of the award letter and we have a copy of the application. After award announcements are made we contact researchers who have been successful to request additional documentation.
When a grant has been made through a process other than the above (i.e. when you may be undertaking contract research), you will need to provide the Grants Management Office with the additional documentation as listed above before funds can be released.
Information and Guidelines for Research Ethics and Safety
For projects which involve research in the below areas, Research Committee Clearances may be required. See the below links for information pertaining to each category, for complete details see Research Ethics and Compliance Support
The Grants Management Office houses a digital library of successful applications for a wide range of schemes.
Make an appointment to visit the Library:
Bookings are essential, Note: To ensure availability, please contact us 2 working days prior to the time you would like to visit the Library. Email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org, from your UNSW email account, with the following information:
- Name, position and school/Faculty (e.g. your UNSW email signature)
- The scheme(s) you would like to view (e.g. "ARC Discovery and Linkage Projects")
- Scheduling preferences, (e.g. Date, and time or preference in morning or afternoon)
Conditions for viewing successful Grants:
- Access is restricted to UNSW employees and students. You must bring your current UNSW Staff ID card with you when you visit the library.
- The applications may only be viewed at the Grants Management Office. Grants will be viewed digitally, but no part of the application is permitted to be printed, digitally copied nor photographed. You may take notes.
The Grants Library also includes Assessor Reports and responses to Assessors for NHMRC Project Grants, ARC Discovery Projects and DECRA.
Consult the GMO Successful Grants Library for ideas on structuring your proposal and for a better understanding of the level at which your proposal should be pitched.
- Discovery Indigenous
- Discovery Early Career Researcher Award
- Discovery Projects
- Future Fellowships
- Industrial Transformation Training Centres
- Linkage, Infrastructure, Equipment & Facilities
- Linkage Projects
- Career Development Fellowships
- Centres of Research Excellence
- Dementia Collaborative Research Centres
- Development Grants
- Early Career Fellowships
- Equipment Grants
- NHMRC-EU Collaborative Research Grants
- Partnership Projects
- Postgraduate Scholarships
- Practitioner Fellowships
- Program Grants
- Project Grants
- Research Fellowships
And grants from a wide range of other Sponsors, for example:
- Alzheimer's Australia
- ANZ Charitable Trust Australia/Mason Foundation
- Australian Academy of Science
- Australian Renewable Energy (ARENA)
- Australian Rotary Health Research Fund
- Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering (AINSE)
- Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute
- BUPA Health Foundation
- Cancer Australia
- Cancer Council NSW
- Cancer Institute NSW
- Centre of Excellence for International Finance and Regulation
- Department of Industry
- Department of the Environment
- Diabetes Australia
- Ian Potter Foundation
- National Heart Foundation
- NSW Health
- Science & Industry Endowment Fund
Grant not listed above? Email email@example.com to check whether the grant(s) you are looking for are available in the Library.
UNSW Fortnightly Bulletin on Research Funding Opportunities
Subscribe to Grant News for:
- New funding schemes for all disciplines
- Internal schemes and travel grants
- Research prizes and awards
You will also receive Alerts detailing important information and changes to funding rules for Australian Research Council and National Health and Medical Research Council major schemes.
To subscribe to Grant News, email firstname.lastname@example.org with 'subscribe grant-news' in the body of the message.
Please note, you must subscribe using your UNSW email account as subscription is only available to UNSW staff and students to your UNSW email account