UNSW-CSIRO Industry PhD Program
The Industry PhD program has been developed to help bridge the ‘research-industry divide’ in Australia. Specifically the program addresses three key areas:
- Increasing the number of high calibre STEM graduates going on to applied research and technology careers
- Increasing innovation and industry-focussed, practical research training (to ensure that STEM research graduates are ‘work ready’)
- Providing more incentive and opportunities for Australian businesses to employ STEM researchers
The program aims to provide an innovation and industry-focussed 4-year applied research training experience that gives graduates a competitive advantage across a broad range of future career paths.
Successful candidates receive a four-year scholarship of $41,092 per annum (indexed), as well as $5,000 for additional skills development and conference travel.
The Industry PhD Difference
Industry PhD Higher Degree Research candidates will:
- Undertake an industry-focussed, applied research project Internship
- Be supervised by a team of three supervisors with expertise in applied research skills, knowledge exchange and industry
- Undertake an industry focussed training program with coursework and development activities
- Gain ‘real life’ industry experience through a six-month internship during their four-year candidature
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for Australian/New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents who will become future applied research and innovation leaders who are work-ready, understand the needs of industry, and know how to collaborate with others. The attributes we're looking for include:
- Demonstrated academic excellence and innovation
- Industry experience and leadership skills
- Research experience
Career and Professional Development
Candidates will have access to structured and tailored development activities that foster essential and transferrable professional skills including leadership, entrepreneurship and innovation, to support them in achieving their career goals when they finish their Industry PhD.
Our aim is to ensure candidates take time to reflect on these opportunities and develop their own insights and understanding of innovation at the interface of academia, industry and applied research.
A key feature of the Industry PhD is a team-based approach to supervision. As well as working together to set the direction of your project, your industry, UNSW and CSIRO supervisors will undertake some of the professional development with you.
An industry internship of at least six-months in total will be undertaken during the four-year program. This could be regularly throughout the candidature or as a six-month block of time. The practical learning activities candidates will undertake during this period will provide personal insight into what ‘work-readiness’ means by developing their business skills and experience. The internship will also help candidates understand how the industry partner’s operations influence the way in which they approach research and development.
Launch Camp is an experience designed to help research teams to think about their impact through the lens of customers or end-users and markets. Running over two days, it builds research team capacity to use new frameworks to understand and validate the problem they are solving & who their customer or end-user is. Launch Camp occurs towards the end of the first year of the Industry PhD program, with participation from both candidates and their supervisory team.