Managing your Grant

Grants Management Office

Your obligations

As your Administering Organisation, UNSW enters into an agreement with the relevant funding body to administer your research grant and comply with the conditions of the agreement. As the first named Investigator, you are responsible for complying with the University’s administrative processes which have been set up to ensure the obligations of the funding agreement are met.

Please see the Policies, Procedures and Forms for Researchers and Research Support Staff page to download all current forms referred to below.
For a step by step guide to generating a research account financial statement, please see the Guide to Obtaining a Research Account Financial Statement using InfoEd

The conduct and timing of the research project

Your project must be carried out as described in your research grant proposal and in accordance with the funding agreements or conditions of the award. You must observe the conditions set out in these documents at all times during the life of your grant. Any significant changes to the project scope, timing, personnel or budget expenditure must be notified to the GMO as soon as practicable. The GMO will review the matter and determine if a variation should be submitted for approval by the Funding Body.

All correspondence to the funding body relating to your grant should be forwarded via the Grants Management Office.

ARC Funding Agreements
NHMRC Deeds of Agreement and Conditions of Award


Commencing employment: All funding recipients must be employees of UNSW for the duration of the funding. Research fellows must be placed on a UNSW contract of employment for the funding period.  All individuals on UNSW contracts of employment are covered by the relevant Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (or AWA, if applicable, for employees who commenced employment prior to 28 March 2008).

Your Faculty HR Representative [] will prepare letters of offer of employment and set in place any other arrangements relating to appointments.

In submitting HR10 forms to Human Resources it is usual to request appointment for the full length of time for which funds have been provided. Please contact your School Administrator for assistance in completing HR10 forms. A link to HR forms is provided at

Termination of employment: In most cases grant funding cannot be used for severance payments. Severance pay entitlements for fixed-term employees may be available in accordance with Section 15.2.3 of the UNSW (Academic Staff) Enterprise Agreement 2006.  Externally funded fixed term professional staff may be entitled to severance pay in accordance with Section 19.3 and 19.4 of the University of New South Wales (Professional Staff) Enterprise Agreement 2010.  Severance payments are provided via central funding and not through individual schools or centres.

UNSW employment conditions and policies for general staff
UNSW employment conditions and policies for academic staff

Ethics and Other Research Safety Clearances

You must have ethics clearance for all projects using human subjects in any form and for research involving animal subjects. Throughout the duration of your research this clearance must be current and you are responsible for renewing ethics approval over the course of the project.

Clearance must also be obtained for projects involving Risk Group 3 or 4 Micro-Organisms, Genetically Modified Organisms, Security Sensitive Biological Agents (SSBA), Ionising Radiation, Non-Ionising Radiation (e.g. transilluminators), Class 3 or 4 Laser, Poisons, Therapeutic Goods or Drug Addiction (S8), Use of Pentobarbitone Sodium (Lethabarb) (S4), Scheduled 10 Prohibited or Notifiable Carcinogen (NSW WHS Regulation 2011), Design or Manufacture of High Risk Plant or Equipment, Hazardous Chemicals that require health surveillance, Work with Lead (Pb), Work that requires a High Risk Work license (e.g. cranes / scaffolding, hoists / elevated work platforms), Scientific research diving

If you require and have not yet obtained your clearance(s), please contact the Research Ethics Compliance and Support (RECS) unit

Please note: The above approvals, once obtained, do not constitute approval for project commencement. There are a number of other research governance approvals that need to be obtained prior to the commencement of your research. Projects cannot proceed until these approvals have been obtained. For external grant funding this may include a signed contract/agreement (e.g. MIA), execution of the Sponsor’s Funding Agreement, return of a signed acceptance form, etc. If in any doubt, please speak to your Grants Officer for further information.

Record Keeping

It is important you keep project records to ensure accountability and transparency. Critical documents pertaining to your management of the project should be kept and be easily accessible. Record keeping makes good business sense to ensure the sustainability of your project should key personnel need to change with little notice. Internal audits may be undertaken randomly on research projects to ensure funding body and University requirements are being met. External auditing may be undertaken by funding bodies.

UNSW Recordkeeping policy
UNSW Records and Archives Office

The InfoEd Grants Management System provides you with access to all data recorded about an application or grant. You can access all records on which you are a named investigator. Documentation kept on InfoEd includes:

  • Project status - received, submitted to sponsor, awarded, funds released, etc
  • All project correspondence and documentation, including contracts and reports
  • Up-to-date financial reports via a direct link to the NSS project record
  • Deadlines for and details of milestone reports and deliverables

Working with other Australian Universities

In instances where you are collaborating with another Australian University you need to complete the Multi-Institutional Agreement (shared agreement) form and submit to the Grants Management Office.

Please see the Policies, Procedures and Forms for Researchers and Research Support Staff page to download the MIA form appropriate for your grant.

Expenditure and Finance

Account and Budget

In order for the Grants Management Office (GMO) to release your research account and budget, the Accepting a Grant steps need to be completed.


Your Faculty Accountant and School/Centre finance staff will assist you with expenditure management throughout the life of the grant, raising purchase orders on your behalf and reimbursing you for costs claimed. Only costs associated with research activities approved for a project can be charged against the research account for that project.


The GMO is responsible for requesting all research income invoicing. If you have completed a Milestone deliverable and need to request a related invoice for issue to your sponsor, contact your Grants Officer at the GMO. Funds from sources other than the Sponsor cannot be invoiced, transferred or journalled into the research account.

Research Finance

Research Finance works in partnership with the Grants Management Office to provide financial and administrative support for research funding.

Financial Reporting

The GMO is responsible for arranging and submitting all research financial statements required by Sponsors. The GMO will contact you ahead of the due date for a financial report to ensure all research project expenditure has been charged to your account. If you require a research financial statement to send to your Sponsor, contact your Grants Officer at the GMO.

The ARC and NHMRC require submission of an annual Financial Statement and Financial Acquittal for each individually funded grant. Research Finance and the GMO prepare and submit ARC & NHMRC financial reports.