Field of Research (FoR)
My research in brief
The main focus of my research is microbial ecology and functioning. I am investigating distribution patterns, diversity, and functions of microbes in diverse environments including water, soil, and plants. We want to know what is out there, what they are doing, and how they respond to changing environmental conditions. Another part of my research is to understand the multitrophic interaction between plants, microbes,...view more
My research in brief
The main focus of my research is microbial ecology and functioning. I am investigating distribution patterns, diversity, and functions of microbes in diverse environments including water, soil, and plants. We want to know what is out there, what they are doing, and how they respond to changing environmental conditions. Another part of my research is to understand the multitrophic interaction between plants, microbes, and herbivores.
since 04/2017 Research associate at the UNSW
08/2013 - 03/2017 PostDoc at the University of Göttingen, Germany
08/2010 - 07/2013 PhD at the University of Göttingen, Germany
10/2009 - 07/2010 Postgraduate Research at the University of Göttingen, Germany
10/2002 - 05/2009 MSc in biology at the University of Potsdam, Germany
- Doctoral scholarship in the Cluster of Excellence (“Functional Biodiversity Research”), University of Göttingen, Germany
Mentée of the Dorothea Schlözer Mentoring Program, University of Göttingen, Germany
Leonardo da Vinci Scholarship for internship in Muhos, Finland, at the Finnish Forest Research Institute (METLA)
- Sandra Granzow, PhD candidate at the University of Goettingen ( jointly supervised with Prof Dr. Stefan Vidal).
(* authours contributed equally)
- Wemheuer B, Wemheuer F, Meier D, Billerbeck S, Giebel HA, Simon M, Scherber S, Daniel R. Linking structural and functional predictions to decipher ecological traits of abundant bacterioplankton lineages in the North Sea.
- Granzow S*, Kaiser K*, Wemheuer B, Pfeiffer B, Daniel R, Vidal S, Wemheuer F. The effects of cropping regimes on fungal and bacterial communities of wheat and faba bean in a greenhouse pot experiment differ between plant species and compartment. Frontiers in Microbiology. In press.
- Hollensteiner J, Poehlein A, Daniel R, Liesegang H, Vidal S, Wemheuer F. Draft genome sequence of Bacillus pumilus strain GM3FR, an endophyte isolated from aerial plant tissues of Festuca rubra L. Genome Announc 5:e00085-17.
- Wemheuer F, Hollensteiner J, Poehlein A, Granzow S, Daniel R, Vidal S, Wemheuer B. Draft genome sequence of Pseudomonas putida strain GM4FR, an endophytic bacterium isolated from Festuca rubra L. Genome Announc 5:e00086-17.
- Wemheuer F, Kaiser K, Karlovsky P, Daniel R, Vidal S & Wemheuer B. Bacterial endophyte communities of three agricultural important grass species differ in their response towards management regimes. Sci Rep 7:40914.
- Hollensteiner J, Wemheuer F, Harting R, Kolarzyk A, Verlerio-Diaz S, Poehlein A, Brzuszkiewicz E, Nesemann K, Braus-Stromeyer S, Braus G, Daniel R, Liesegang H. Bacillus thuringiensis and Bacillus weihenstephanensis inhibit the growth of phytopathogenic Verticillium species. Front Microbiol 7:2171
- Kaiser K, Wemheuer B, Korolkow V, Wemheuer F, Nacke H, Schöning I, Schrumpf M, Daniel R. Driving forces of soil bacterial community structure, diversity, and function in the German Biodiversity Exploratories. Scientific Reports 6: 33696
- Wemheuer F, Wemheuer B, Kretzschmar D, Pfeiffer B, Herzog S, Daniel R, Vidal S. Impact of grassland management regimes on bacterial endophyte diversity differs with grass species. Letters in Applied Microbiology 32: 323-329.
- Herzog S, Wemheuer F, Wemheuer B, Daniel R.Impact of Fertilization and Sampling Time on Composition and Diversity of Total and Active Soil Bacterial Communities in German Grassland Soils. PLOS One 10: e0145575.
- Wemheuer B*, Wemheuer F*, Hollensteiner J, Meyer F-D, Voget S, Daniel R. The green impact: bacterioplankton response towards a phytoplankton spring bloom in the southern North Sea assessed by comparative metagenomic and metatranscriptomic approaches. Frontiers in Microbiology 6: 805.
- Wemheuer B, Taube R, Akyol P, Wemheuer F, Daniel R. Microbial diversity and biochemical potential encoded by thermal spring metagenomes derived from the Kamchatka peninsula. Archaea 2013: Article ID 136714.
- Wemheuer B, Wemheuer F, Daniel R. RNA-based assessment of diversity and composition of active archaeal communities in the German Bight. Archaea 2012: Article ID 695826
- Schneider D*, Wemheuer F*, Pfeiffer B, Wemheuer B (2017). Extraction of Total DNA and RNA from Marine Filter Samples and Generation of a Universal cDNA as Universal Template for Marker Gene Studies. In Metagenomics: Methods and Protocols (2nd. Edition)..
- Wemheuer B, Wemheuer F (2017). Assessing Bacterial and Fungal Diversity in the Plant’s Endosphere. In Metagenomics: Methods and Protocols (2nd. Edition).