Following please find answers to common issues encountered when creating/editing a profile. Please also download the Profile & Custom Page Guidelines for further information.
Once you are on the Research Website, you will need to log in to access and edit your profile with your zID and zPass. (‘Log in’ is located at the very bottom of the page.) Once logged in you will automatically be taken to your profile page.
Click on the ‘edit’ tab to access the edit mode. Use the Profile & Custom Page Guidelines to make changes as required.
This is probably because your profile has not yet been activated in the Gateway. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to have your profile activated.
Any formatting issues are most likely caused by copying and pasting text directly from a web page or word document into your Profile.
To avoid this, text should be copied:
- and pasted from the web page or Word document into Notepad (MS Office) or Text Edit (Mac) and then
- from Notepad or Text Edit and pasted into the free form fields (eg the Bio field) of your Profile page
How to find Notepad (Windows): Start – All Programs – Accessories – Notepad
How to find TextEdit (Apple): Applications - TextEdit
You can change the appearance of your First Name and Middle Name (these fields are highlighted in green in the edit mode of your profile) by logging into MyUNSW: My Staff profile - Personal Details - Preferred Name, and making the relevant changes.
Your Profile will be updated within 72 hours.
Data in these fields (highlighted in yellow in the edit mode of your profile - 'Name', 'UNSW Employee ID', 'Title', 'Last name', 'University role' and 'School') comes from HR and is not modifiable by the user from within the Profiles.
The data can be modified however by sending a request through to HR to make the necessary change within their system. To do this, enter the Profile edit mode and click the option: 'How to Change your Details - 'Click to request HR changes'.
Once HR makes the changes, your Profile will be updated within 72 hours.
Your publications data as displayed in the Research Gateway comes from Research Outputs Systems (ROS), the University's publications database managed by the Library.
Log in to ROS to edit or hide your publications. Changes will appear on this page in 72 hours or less.
For the current phase of the Researcher Profiles, only research-active academic staff on the Human Resources database are profiled on the site. It is intended that the scope of the profiles will be extended in future phases to incorporate HDR Candidates and additional staff members.
There are a number of options for promoting your research activities via the Gateway:
- You can include details of your research activities in the bio field of your Profile page.
- A Custom Page can be created for you to provide a summary of your research activities. Please email email@example.com to request this.
- A Custom Page can be created for your research group to outline its research activities and link to pre-existing pages. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request this.
- The search functionality on the Gateway allows for the option to search all UNSW sites, so any information you have regarding your research on other UNSW sites will be accessible via the Gateway.
For further information on how to create and edit a Custom Page, please see the Profile & Custom Page Guidelines.