Research Technology Services (ResTech) supports hosting research applications through cloud infrastructure providers, primarily Amazon Web Services (AWS) and the national eResearch cloud infrastructure Nectar.
An advantage of building on cloud is the ability to access and combine compute, storage, database and other resources on demand, and to provision and release resources as needed without a fixed setup or lock-in commitment.
Our support includes:
- Advice: matching cloud services to your application’s requirements and your research needs;
- Security: meeting UNSW data handling requirements and hosting within UNSW-supported environments;
- Estimation: pre-project estimation advice or pilot project test workloads to enable more accurate estimations for grants;
- Grant support: in-kind subject matter expertise or cash contribution towards platform hosting costs to include in competitive external grant applications (these must be discussed with ResTech and are for projects which leverage our existing platforms and skills);
- Hosting: support to host your application inside UNSW environments to make administration, billing and reporting easier.
We can provide in-kind support and advice on application migration, re-platforming and architecting applications on cloud. We cannot contribute to or fund application development or system administration.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org outlining the application you are looking to host or develop – we’d be happy to discuss the support ResTech can provide.
During 2021 we are able to fund hosting/provider costs for a new or existing research cloud application that will be used for estimation for research grant application or is a deliverable of a recent grant application, for up to $12,000 per year. For more information visit out ResTech Cloud Grants page.