Three Minute Thesis Competition
Graduate Research School
What is 3MT?
The 3 Minute Thesis (3MT) is an academic competition developed by the University of Queensland for PhD and Research Masters candidates. With just three minutes to give a compelling presentation on their thesis topic and its significance, the 3MT competition forces research candidates to consolidate their ideas and crystallise their research discoveries.
Why should l take part?
Watch our 3MT stars talk about why they entered 3MT and what happened when they did!
UNSW 3MT 2017 Interfaculty Final
4:30pm to 7:30pm
Leighton Hall, Scientia
Click here for event detail
UNSW 3MT 2017 Prizes
- First prize $3,000 plus entry into the 2017 Asia-Pacific Competition at the University of Queensland as well as the U21 final, a virtual event with judges watching video entries rather than live presentations
- Runner-up prize $1,500
- People’s Choice prize $1,000
- ASPIRE prize $500
ASPIRE is a UNSW widening participation program that works with school students to support their educational aspirations. This year at 3MT we will have some of the school students from this program as VIP guests, and they will be awarding a special ASPIRE Prize for the presentation they enjoy the most.
UNSW 3MT 2017 Faculty Heat details
Click here to find the dates and times of the 3MT faculty heats.
Eligibility, Rules and Judging Criteria
Click here to access the egilibility, rules and judging criteria for the competition.
- 1st place: Patrick Tung, Desirable defects: Nano-scale structures of piezoelectrics. Click here to see the presentation on UNSW TV.
- Runner-up and ASPIRE Award: Nancy Mourad, Cancer: Bad to the bone. Click here to see the presentation on UNSW TV.
- 3rd place: Vera Newman, “Stressed” spelled backwards is “desserts”: Understanding the cognitive impact of stress and how to turn it around. Click here to see the presentation on UNSW TV.
- People's Choice Prize: Banjamin Walker, A saucy talk about performance-based identity. Click here to see the presentation on UNSW TV.