The National Institutes of Health (NIH) is composed of 27 Institutes and Centres and provides leadership and financial support to medical researchers in every state of the USA and throughout the world.
Finding NIH Funding Opportunities
Applying for NIH Funding
UNSW is defined under NIH policy as a foreign institution. Applications from foreign institutions are evaluated and scored using the standard assessment criteria but also have to address some additional criteria:
- How the project will use unique or unusual talent, resources, populations or environmental conditions that are not readily available in the US or that build on existing US resources
- Whether the proposed project has specific relevance to the mission and objectives of the Institute and has the potential to significantly advance health sciences in the US
The NIH handles all grant applications through the Grants.gov website. Applicants should also refer to the Grants.gov Application Guide and NIH Application Guide and information in the relevant Application Package and Program Announcement.
The NIH Grants Policy Statement
The NIH Grants Policy Statement (October 2017) details obligations of Principal Investigators in submitting grant applications, section 220.127.116.11 details that:
'The applicant organization is required to secure and retain a unique signature and dated assurance from the PD/PI for each submitted application, prior to submitting an application to the NIH. This assurance must be available to the NIH or other authorized DHHS or Federal officials upon request. Such an assurance must include at least the following certifications:
1) that the information submitted within the application is true, complete and accurate to the best of the PI’s knowledge;
2) that any false, fictitious, or fraudulent statements or claims may subject the PI to criminal, civil, or administrative penalties; and
3) that the PI agrees to accept responsibility for the scientific conduct of the project and to provide the required progress reports if a grant is awarded as a result of the application.
If multiple PIs are proposed in an application, this assurance must be retained for all named PIs.'
Note that UNSW has completed all the registrations required to apply through Grants.gov. All PIs named on an application will also need to be registered as a PI on the eRA Commons system to successfully submit an application to the NIH. Please contact your Grants Officer for further information.
You must submit a draft version of your application to the Grants Management Office (send to email@example.com) for compliance checking and approval at least ten working days prior to the external due date.
All applications from foreign institutions need to submit a detailed budget.
- Facilities and Administration (F&A) costs are the infrastructure support or indirect costs that UNSW deducts from grants. Researchers should request 8% of their budget in F&A costs for all US Federal Awards. The 8% will be deducted from your grant at setup.
- Facilities and Administration costs are not to be used to support the acquisition of, or provide for depreciation on, any capital expenditures, or support the normal, general operations of foreign and international organisations.
- The application budget and your justification should be stated in US dollars and the exchange rate used clearly stated in your justification.
- NIH will not compensate foreign grantees for changes in exchange rates.
Allowable (Direct) Costs
- The costs must be specifically and readily identifiable to a specific project with a high degree of accuracy.
- The costs are required by the project scope, due to the project’s special purpose or circumstances.
- The costs must be specifically budgeted as a line item in the proposal budget and justified in the proposal narrative.
- Fly America Act Applies (must fly American Airlines)