18th October 2012, 9:30am to 2:30pm
FRLP Module 7: Managing and Leading People in a Research Context (2012)
Future Research Leaders Program - Module 7 registrations close 15 October 2012
- Organised By: Researcher Development
- Category: Seminars or Workshops
Researchers at level A, B or C who are, or aspire to be, in a research leadership role. This program is for all research active academic staff at UNSW.
This module focuses on the activities a leader needs to undertake to assist team members perform at their best. It includes working with the group to set clear directions in the research and in understanding their role within the whole project, setting the tone and norms for respectful and innovative discussion and behaviour, providing a safe work environment, and recognising and rewarding achievement and efforts. It also focuses on managing team and interpersonal dynamics to make the best use of staff skills, knowledge and abilities, including addressing difficult conversations
Module 7 aims to assist researchers to reflect on their preferred leadership style, the challenge of developing a context for creative research and the ongoing management issues within the distinctive research context of fixed-term employment and narrow time frames.
Upon successful completion of this module you should be able to:
- identify the characteristics of a culture in which research teams identify and achieve appropriate goals
- understand the relevance of different leadership styles in a research context and the stages in team development
- introduce key characteristics of effective communication, negotiation skills and teams
- understand your responsibilities in creating a safe equitable workplace for the team
- provide tools and skills for researchers to plan and monitor activities to meet the requirements of the research plan.
MyUNSW Registration :
Enter your login ID (eg z1234567) and your zpass and click login. Select the tab at the top called ‘My staff profile’. On the left hand pane under ‘My Staff Services’, click on ‘Training Registration’. Under "Course Type", select ‘Research’ from the drop down menu, select the course code for the module you wish to attend and submit this for approval to your supervisor.
Registration Closing Date: 15th October 2012, 3pm