Postgraduate Research Scholarships
Graduate Research School
UNSW assists postgraduate researchers by providing a wide range of prestigious scholarships. The scholarships provide a range of benefits such as annual stipends, living allowances and coverage of tuition fee costs, as well as funding and supplements for travel. Scholarships are available to support current and new postgraduate research candidates at UNSW.
Students can apply for the UNSW scholarships during their admission application (please see How To Apply steps for instructions and Key Dates for relevant dates). The UNSW scholarships available to Domestic students are:
- Domestic Research Training Program (RTP) - previously called Australian Postgraduate Award (APA)
- University Postgraduate Award (UPA)
- Faculty top ups – attached to RTP or UPA
The UNSW scholarships available to International students are:
- International Research Training Program (RTP) - previously called International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS)
- University International Postgraduate Award (UIPA)
- Tuition Fee Scholarship (TFS) plus a Research Stipend
- UNSW/Home Country Joint Scholarships
If applying for the above scholarships, please ensure you read the relevant Scholarship Guidelines, as well as the Commonwealth Government Guidelines (please see Related Links).
Further to the main awards offered by UNSW during the admission application, UNSW has a range of other scholarships available. Please read individual conditions and information.
UNSW PhD Candidate Paid Maternity Leave Scholarships
The UNSW Paid Maternity Leave Scholarships are designed to enable local PhD candidates currently in receipt of a scholarship with no maternity leave entitlements to apply for paid maternity leave for a period of up to 12 weeks, under the same conditions that are provided by the APA/UPA scholarships. The support will be equal to the value of the scholarship that the candidate has held for at least two semesters.
To apply, please email Roslyn McCann at email@example.com with your request, along with the dates of your Maternity leave and a copy of your doctor's certificate.
Scholarship Proposal Kit (For UNSW staff members only)