Fields of Research (FoR)Architecture, Architectural Science and Technology (incl. Acoustics, Lighting, Structure and Ecologically Sustainable Design), Architectural Design, Building, Building Science and Techniques, Engineering Design, Engineering Design Empirical Studies, Civil Engineering, Construction Materials, Structural Engineering
Francesco is an Associate Professor in High Performance Architecture at the Faculty of Built Environment of the University of New South Wales. Prior to joining UNSW BE he held appointments at The University of Sydney, in the Architectural Science discipline, and at Politecnico di Bari (Italy), in the Architectural Engineering program. His main research expertise is in facade engineering and design. In recent years his research has focused on...view more
Francesco is an Associate Professor in High Performance Architecture at the Faculty of Built Environment of the University of New South Wales. Prior to joining UNSW BE he held appointments at The University of Sydney, in the Architectural Science discipline, and at Politecnico di Bari (Italy), in the Architectural Engineering program. His main research expertise is in facade engineering and design. In recent years his research has focused on the development of technologies and systems for kinetic facades. In particular, Francesco aims to explore the use of smart materials (shape memory alloys, phase-change materials, and chromogenic materials) in order to create self-adaptive building components. Reduction of building energy demand and increase of indoor comfort are the final goals.
Francesco is currently the Australian representative in the European COST Action on “Adaptive Facades Network” and has been involved as Chief Investigator in several research projects in Australia and overseas. He is currently CI of the ARC-funded Training Centre for Advanced Manufacturing of Prefabricated Housing.
2015-2019 CI Mendis, CI Ngo, CI Rasmussen, CI Ranzi, CI Aitchinson, CI Newman, CI Hao, CI Zhao, CI Manzie, CI Qiao, CI Aye, CI Duffield, CI Singh, CI Bai, CI Crawford, CI Noguchi, CI Fiorito, PI Alfano, PI Colquhoun, PI Liaskos, PI Crough, PI Pidcock, PI Miletic, PI Perren, PI Kirk, PI Zendler. Proposal for IC150100023: ARC Training Centre for Advanced Manufacturing of Prefabricated Housing. ARC Industrial Transformation Training Centre.
2014-2016 CI K. Rasmussen, CI G. Ranzi, CI D. Dias da Costa, CI A. Abbas, CI M. Valix, CI F. Fiorito, CI C. Logan. Research contract with the Sydney Opera House Trust on “Sydney Opera House Concrete Conservation Strategy Project".
2014-2015 CI G. Ranzi, PI F. Fiorito. University of Sydney Commercial Development & Industry Partnership (CDIP) fund: Prototyping a self-adaptive shading device activated by smart materials actuators.
2014-2015 CI F. Fiorito, PI G. Masera, PI M. Overend. University of Sydney International Program Development Fund (IPDF): International Network for High Performance Smart Kinetic Facades.
2013-2015 CI G. Ranzi, PI F. Fiorito, PI R. de Dear. Civil Engineering Development Scheme (CERDS): smart materials for dynamically activated building components: an integrated structural and indoor comfort based approach.
2011-2012 CI Di Gregorio, CI Fiorito. BMG - biomimetic microwind generator, innovative device for wind microgeneration in urban areas. Apulia Regional Government Research Grant (Italy), the funding programme "Principi Attivi - Giovani idee per una Puglia migliore".
MEng (1st class Hons), PhD, CPEng (Italy)
My Research Activities
Francesco's current research activities are oriented to:
- The development of technologies and systems for smart kinetic facades
- Integrated thermal and visual comfort analyses of advanced facade systems
- The implementation of smart materials (photovoltachromics, phase-change materials, electro-active polymers) to building envelope
- Integration within the building envelope of active systems for the conversion of energy from renewable sources
Member of the Chartered Institute of Engineers of the province of Bari (IT) since 2002. Membership number 6530, section A (equivalent to Certified Professional Engineer), sectors: Civil and Environmental, Industrial, Information Technologies
Member of the International Solar Energy Society (ISES) since 2004.
Member of Ar.Tec. (Italian Architectural Engineering scientific association)
Chartered Professional Engineer (Italy), with expertise in facade and structural engineering, design and site management of civil and industrial buildings, design and site management of refurbishment and restoration interventions of existing and historic buildings, design and site management of renewable energy plants, building technologies, solar integration in building design.
Selection of completed works:
- (2010-2011) Consultancy activity for the structural executive design of a pedestrian overpass of the national road n. 96 in the municipality of Altamura (Bari – IT).
- (2010-2011) Schematic Design of a building integrated 4 MWp PV plant on the roofs of “Interporto d’Abruzzo” in Manoppello (Pescara – Italy). Responsible of the building integration of PV plant.
- (2009–2011) Feasibility study for a new residential and commercial complex in the town of Domnesti (Bucharest – Romania). Co-designer in charge with particular regards to identification of strategies for reducing energy and environmental impact of the intervention and to the energy independence of the complex, through adoption of innovative solar technologies.
- (2009–2011) Construction Design and site management of civil and structural works related to the installation of PowerWind Wind Turbines in the south regions of Italy (Apulia and Basilicata).
- (2009) Consultancy for building integration of a PV plant on the roofs of “Pilkington Automotive” factory in San Salvo (Chieti – Italy). Responsible of the building integration of the PV plant.
- (2006-2008) Schematic Design, Construction Design and site management of a new industrial building inside the industrial factory for timber trade and processing “Frezza Legnami s.p.a.” in Bari (Italy). Study of strategies for the energy independence through the installation of a 214 kWp building integrated PV plant.
- (2004-2005) International Design Competition in two phases “New Cinema Palace in Venice and surrounding areas”. Component of design team (team leader Oriol Bohigas). Finalist project.
- (2002-2003) Collaboration to the project of static reinforcement, restoration and functional recovery of “Teatro Petruzzelli” in Bari (Italy).
ARCH1331 Architectural Fabrication (Bachelor of Architectural Studies)
ARCH7809 Architectural Environment and Building Services (Master of Architecture)
ARCH7213 High Performance Building Systems (Master of Architecture)