My research expertise and industry experience cover many computer science areas including the following: database systems; data science/analytics; information extraction/natural language processing; big data; data mining and machine learning; cloud computing and web services.
Fields of Research (FoR)Mobile Technologies, Database Management, Pattern Recognition and Data Mining, Information Retrieval and Web Search, Web Technologies (excl. Web Search), Interorganisational Information Systems and Web Services
I am currently the Director of Online Education and an Associate Professor in the School of Computer Science & Engineering at UNSW Sydney. I am also the Data Science Consultant at UNSW Mark Wainwright Analytical Centre (Stats Central). I have published 56 journal papers, 170 conference papers, and 2 US granted patents in various fields of computer science. I have received 8 best research/paper awards and 4 industry/professional awards. I have...view more
I am currently the Director of Online Education and an Associate Professor in the School of Computer Science & Engineering at UNSW Sydney. I am also the Data Science Consultant at UNSW Mark Wainwright Analytical Centre (Stats Central). I have published 56 journal papers, 170 conference papers, and 2 US granted patents in various fields of computer science. I have received 8 best research/paper awards and 4 industry/professional awards. I have supervised a total of 25 PhDs, 3 MPhils, and 65 honours thesis students to completion. Six of my supervised honours students graduated with prestigious University Medals. From 2005-2011, I was the Database Research Group Leader at NICTA (Data61/CSIRO). I have co-founded several technology startup companies. I received my BSc from Australian National University; and MPhil and PhD from Hong Kong University of Science & Technology.
Recent Australian grants:
- 2020 - 2021: Non-invasive early detection of ovarian cancer, Ovarian Cancer Res Foundation ($135,000)
- 2020 - 2021: Fibroblast factor for cardiovascular disease, NSW Health ($100,000)
- 2018 - 2018: Faculty Infrastructure Grants (GPU machines), UNSW FRG ($100,000)
- 2015 - 2019: Social Media Monitoring & Analytics, Data61 ($250,000)
- 2012 - 2015: Context-aware Recommendation, CSIRO ($250,000)
- 2011 - 2014: Spatiotemporal Data Analysis, NICTA ($180,000)
- PhD (Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 1997)
- MPhil (Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 1994)
- BSc (The Australian National University, 1993)
- 2016 ARC UNSW Supervisor Award (for Postgraduate Student Supervision)
- 2016 The 13th IEEE International Conference on Services Computing – Best Student Paper
- 2016 The 18th International Conference on Information and Communications Security – Best Paper
- 2016 The 20th Pacific Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining – Best Student Paper
- 2009 NICTA – Richard Newton Excellence in Research Award – Finalist
- 2009 Engineers Australia – Engineering Excellence Awards – Highly Commended (R&D)
- 2009 Engineers Australia – Engineering Excellence Awards – Finalist (Software & Embedded Sys)
- 2007 IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference – Best Paper Award
- 2007 IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference – AT&T Prize
- 2007 CeBIT Australia - Early Innovator Award
- 2007 NSW Enterprise Workshop – Intellectual Property Award
- 2006 The 17th Australasian Database Conference – Best Student Paper
- 2005 IEEE EEE Service Award – For contributions to IEEE e-commerce and services community
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
- Data Mining / Analytics;
- Text Mining & NLP;
- Information Extraction;
- Big Data; Cloud & Service Computing;
- Database System Optimizations.
I have supervised a total of 25 PhDs and 3 MPhils to graduation at UNSW.
I have been advising SME and large companies regarding their big data systems, data science/analytics, cloud computing and relevant technologies. I have also been involved and successfully completed numerous high-profile international technology projects, including projects in China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Japan, Singapore, Australia and USA. My projects range from building consumer mobile apps to a total cloud infrastructure solution. For example, most recently, I was involved in the Singapore NTU SPIRIT Smart Nation Research Centre, where together with the Singapore Judiciary, successfully developed an Intelligent Case Retrieval System (ICRS). I have been advising several technology startup companies, including Intelllex, a Singapore-based AI legal tech startup. Since the year 2000, I have also been providing consultations for patent valuations / infringement and providing expert opinions for clients in Australia, USA and Asia.