My research expertise and industry experience cover many computer science areas including the following: database systems; data science/analytics; information extraction/natural language processing; big data; data mining and machine learning; cloud computing and web services.
Field of Research (FoR)
I am currently the Director of Online Education and an Associate Professor in the School of Computer Science & Engineering at UNSW Sydney. I am also the Data Science Consultant at UNSW Mark Wainwright Analytical Centre (Stats Central). I have published 56 journal papers, 170 conference papers and 2 US granted patents in various fields of computer science. I have received 8 best research/paper awards and 4 industry/professional...view more
I am currently the Director of Online Education and an Associate Professor in the School of Computer Science & Engineering at UNSW Sydney. I am also the Data Science Consultant at UNSW Mark Wainwright Analytical Centre (Stats Central). I have published 56 journal papers, 170 conference papers and 2 US granted patents in various fields of computer science. I have received 8 best research/paper awards and 4 industry/professional awards. I have supervised a total of 25 PhDs, 3 MPhils and 65 honours thesis students to completion. Six of my supervised honours students graduated with the prestigious University Medals. From 2005-2011, I was the Database Research Group Leader at NICTA (Data61/CSIRO). I have co-founded several technology startup companies. I received my BSc from Australian National University, and MPhil and PhD from Hong Kong University of Science & Technology.
Recent Australian grants:
- 2020 - 2021: Non-invasive early detection of ovarian cancer, Ovarian Cancer Res Foundation ($135,000)
- 2020 - 2021: Fibroblast factor for cardiovascular disease, NSW Health ($100,000)
- 2018 - 2018: Faculty Infrastructure Grants (GPU machines), UNSW FRG ($100,000)
- 2015 - 2019: Social Media Monitoring & Analytics, Data61 ($250,000)
- 2012 - 2015: Context-aware Recommendation, CSIRO ($250,000)
- 2011 - 2014: Spatiotemporal Data Analysis, NICTA ($180,000)
- PhD (Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 1997)
- MPhil (Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 1994)
- BSc (The Australian National University, 1993)
- 2016 ARC UNSW Supervisor Award (for Postgraduate Student Supervision)
- 2016 The 13th IEEE International Conference on Services Computing – Best Student Paper
- 2016 The 18th International Conference on Information and Communications Security – Best Paper
- 2016 The 20th Pacific Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining – Best Student Paper
- 2009 NICTA – Richard Newton Excellence in Research Award – Finalist
- 2009 Engineers Australia – Engineering Excellence Awards – Highly Commended (R&D)
- 2009 Engineers Australia – Engineering Excellence Awards – Finalist (Software & Embedded Sys)
- 2007 IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference – Best Paper Award
- 2007 IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference – AT&T Prize
- 2007 CeBIT Australia - Early Innovator Award
- 2007 NSW Enterprise Workshop – Intellectual Property Award
- 2006 The 17th Australasian Database Conference – Best Student Paper
- 2005 IEEE EEE Service Award – For contributions to IEEE e-commerce and services community
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
- Data Mining / Analytics;
- Text Mining & NLP;
- Information Extraction;
- Big Data; Cloud & Service Computing;
- Database System Optimizations.
I have supervised a total of 25 PhDs and 3 MPhils to graduation at UNSW.
I have been advising SME and large companies regarding their big data systems, data science/analytics, cloud computing and relevant technologies. I have also been involved and successfully completed numerous high-profile international technology projects, including projects in China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Japan, Singapore, Australia and USA. My projects range from building consumer mobile apps to a total cloud infrastructure solution. For example, most recently, I was involved in the Singapore NTU SPIRIT Smart Nation Research Centre, where together with the Singapore Judiciary, successfully developed an Intelligent Case Retrieval System (ICRS). I have been advising several technology startup companies, including Intelllex, a Singapore-based AI legal tech startup. Since the year 2000, I have also been providing consultations for patent valuations / infringement and providing expert opinions for clients in Australia, USA and Asia.