Introduction of Dr. Ilhan Chang
I have strong expertise in Geotechnical Engineering and multi-disciplinary researches, as well as industrial cooperation through numbers of technical transfer and cooperative researches. Before my current appointment to UNSW, I served my previous research career as a senior researcher at Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology (KICT) - the only government funded research institute on Civil...view more
Introduction of Dr. Ilhan Chang
I have strong expertise in Geotechnical Engineering and multi-disciplinary researches, as well as industrial cooperation through numbers of technical transfer and cooperative researches. Before my current appointment to UNSW, I served my previous research career as a senior researcher at Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology (KICT) - the only government funded research institute on Civil Engineering in Korea. I earned my Bachelor of Science (2000), Master of Engineering (2004), and Doctor of Philosophy (2010) degrees in Civil and Environmental Engineering at KAIST (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology). The topics of my dissertations were soft soil evaluation using elastic waves and soil treatment using biogenic biopolymers, respectively. After serving as a Research Assistant Professor at KAIST, I moved to KICT to accumulate comprehensive experiences on practical and full scale in-situ applications. I also served my professional academic duty as an Invited Professor at KAIST and Adjunct Associate Professor at UST (University of Science & Technology) before joining UNSW.
My major field of interest is soil characterization and ground improvements through multi-disciplinary convergence such as, geophysical characterization using elastic waves, DCM (Deep Cement Mixing), scouring monitoring and preservation, and microbial soil treatment. Currently, I am trying to expand efforts to address geo-environmental issues such as environmentally-friendly soil improvement for earth pavements or embankments and developing countermeasures for desertification using biogenic materials, as well as cosmic geotechnical engineering based on lunar soil reproduction and characterization. I also have cumulative background on nation-wide urban planning and development. Nowadays, I am conducting researches on practical implementation of biomaterials in various fields in civil engineering, such as levee construction, slope protection, underground excavation, and ground improvement.
- E3 (Emerging, Environmental and Exterme) Geotechnical Engineering practices
- Geotechnical site characterization and soft soil (ground) stabilization / improvement.
- Soil erosion prevention and soil preservation against natural and climate hazards.
- Sustainable geotechnical engineering solutions to combat climate change and Desertification.
- Biopolymer-Soil Technology: From Fundamentals to Practical applications.
- Multi-disciplinary Geotechnical engineering solutions based on convergences with Biotechnology, Chemistry, Climatology, Soil science, Aerospace engineering, Military engineering, and Social science.
- New Soil construction Materials (binders) and their practical application methods.
- Geotechnical evaluation of natural; artificial; and bio-treated soils through laboratory (micro) to field (macro) experimental approaches.
- Development of new environmentally-friendly slope surface protection and levee construction technologies via bio-soil applications.