Fields of Research (FoR)Optometry and Ophthalmology, Public Health and Health Services not elsewhere classified
Dr Sheela Kumaran is a postdoctoral research fellow at the School of Optometry and Vision Science, University of New South Wales, Australia. She qualified as an Optometrist from India (Elite school of Optometry, Birla Institute of Technology and Science) and completed her PhD in Public Health from Flinders University, Australia. She has experience teaching optometry students and delivering eye care in India, where she engaged in private...view more
Dr Sheela Kumaran is a postdoctoral research fellow at the School of Optometry and Vision Science, University of New South Wales, Australia. She qualified as an Optometrist from India (Elite school of Optometry, Birla Institute of Technology and Science) and completed her PhD in Public Health from Flinders University, Australia. She has experience teaching optometry students and delivering eye care in India, where she engaged in private optometry practice as well as community eye health programs. Her research interests closely align with her passion to voice patient’s perspectives to improve health outcomes. She aims to achieve this by using technologically advanced patient reported outcome measures and modern psychometric analysis to reliably measure constructs such as quality of life. During her PhD, she was awarded the prestigious ‘Academic Excellence in Postgraduate Research, International Students Award’ from His Excellency, the Governor of South Australia. She is currently a proxy member of the Vision2020 Australia – independence and participation, and global committees, a member of the Australian Association of Gerontology, and an associate member of the UNSW Ageing Futures Institute.
Kumaran SE, Pesudovs K, Keay L, Liew G. Measuring the breadth and the depth of the quality-of-life impacts caused by age related macular degeneration, Macular Disease Foundation Australia Research Grant, AUD $AU49,674, 2021.
- Travel grant, The association for research in vision and ophthalmology (ARVO), USD 1100, 2018
- Flinders University Student Association (FUSA) development grant, AUD 800, 2017
- Travel Grant, ARVO – Asia, 2017
2020 PhD (Public Health), Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia.
Title: ‘Development of item banks to measure the impact of amblyopia and strabismus on quality of life’
2011 M Phil. Optometry, Elite School of Optometry, Birla Institute of Technology and Science, India.
Title: ‘Development of a vision related quality of life instrument for school going children with uncorrected refractive error’
2009 B S Optometry, Elite School of Optometry, Birla Institute of Technology and Science, India.
2015 Fellowship in British Dispensing Optics (O/S), UK
Sep 2021 – present Member, Age and Ageing Clinical Academic Group, Sydney Partnership for Health Education Research and Enterprise
Aug 2021 – present Member, Australian Association of Gerontology
Feb 2021 – present Vision 2020 Australia Independence and Participation & Global Committee
Feb 2021 – present Member, UNSW, Ageing Futures Institute
Jan 2017 – present Member in training, Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
Academic excellence (postgraduate research) international students award from His Excellency, the Governor of South Australia, Study Adelaide, Australia, 2019
The Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarship, up to AUD 130,864, 2016-2020
Australian Postgraduate Award (Full-time), $26,288 per annum (2016) indexed annually, 2016-2019
Research higher degree student publication award (AUD 500), Flinders University, 2019
Research higher degree student publication award (AUD 400), Flinders University, 2017
Sri R Sivaraman memorial endowment prize for the ‘Best Research Project’, 2011
Luxottica excellence award for ‘Research Methodology’, 2011
Best scientific presentation in ‘Low vision’ in ESO International Vision Science and Optometry Conference, 2010
Sri V Venugopal memorial prize for ‘Best outgoing student 2009’ (along with 10 other awards)
My Research Activities
- Hutchinson C, Ratcliffe J, Crocker M, Kumaran SE, Milte R and Khadka J, “Knowledge is everything?” How well do the general public understand aged care and how does this affect their attitudes towards quality of care and future funding? Ageing and Society (accepted 17/09/21).
- Kumaran SE, Rakshit A, Hussaindeen JR, Khadka J & Pesudovs K. Does non-strabismic amblyopia affect the quality of life of adults? Findings from a qualitative study. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt 2021; 41: 996-1006.
- Ratcliffe J, Khadka J, Kumaran S & Kaambwa B. What price quality in aged care? Findings from a national survey of more than 6500 income taxpayers. Med J Aust 2021; 215: 307-310.e301.
- Feo R, Kumaran S, Conroy T, Heuzenroeder L & Kitson A. An evaluation of instruments measuring behavioural aspects of the nurse-patient relationship. Nurs Inq 2021: e12425.
- Ratcliffe J, Chen G, Khadka J, Kumaran S, Hutchinson C, Milte R, Savvas S, Batchelor F (2020). Australia’s aged care system: the quality of care experience and community expectations. Caring Futures Institute, Flinders University, South Australia.
- Khadka J, Ratcliffe J, Chen G, Kumaran S, Milte R, Hutchinson C, Milte R, Savvas S, Batchelor F (2020). A new measure of quality of care experience in aged care: psychometric assessment and validation of the Quality of Care Experience (QCE) questionnaire. Caring Futures Institute, Flinders University, South Australia.
- Noone, J., Writer, T., Kumaran, S.E., Ly, A., & Keay, L. (2020). Macular Disease Foundation of Australia Social Impact Survey: Baseline report. Sydney: Centre for Social Impact.
- Kumaran SE, Khadka J, Baker R and Pesudovs K, ‘Functional limitations recognised by adults with amblyopia and strabismus in daily life: a qualitative exploration.’ Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2019 May; 39(3): 131-140.
- Gopalakrishnan S, Venugopal D, Sailaja MVS, Kumaran SE, Ramani KK. Barriers and enablers to low vision care services in a tertiary eye care hospital: A mixed method study. Indian journal of ophthalmology. 2019 Apr;67(4):536-40.
- Kumaran SE, Khadka J, Baker R and Pesudovs K, ‘Patient reported outcome measures in amblyopia and strabismus – a systematic review’. Clin Exp Optom. 2018 Jul;101(4):460-484
- Kumaran SE, Balasubramaniam SM, Kumar DS, and Krishna Kumar R ‘Refractive Error and Vision-Related Quality of Life in South Indian Children’. Optom Vis Sci. 2015 Mar; 92(3):272-8.
- Kumar DS, Balasubramaniam SM, Kumaran SE and Krishna Kumar R ‘Parents’ Awareness and Perception of Children’s Eye Diseases in Chennai, India’. Optom Vis Sci. 2013 Dec; 90(12):1462-6.
- Balasubramaniam SM, Kumar DS, Kumaran SE and Ramani KK ‘Factors affecting eye care-seeking behavior of parents for their children’. Optom Vis Sci. 2013 Oct; 90(10):1138-42