My expertise is in research related to neurodegenerative disorders, such as Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, etc, particularly in its familial forms via pathological approaches. My research area mainly involves 1) Study of gut-brain axis in neurodegenerative diseases, 2) Genetic & pathological diagnosis and clinical management of rare brain diseases, 3) Construct models of neuropathological inclusion body formation, 4) Investigating changes in the tissue microenvironment leading to pathological inclusion body formation, and 5) Promoting brain health and neuroprotection against neurodegeneration.
Fields of Research (FoR)Developmental Psychology and Ageing, Health, Clinical and Counselling Psychology, Central Nervous System, Pathology
I obtained MBBS degree from Harbin Medical University, China in 1991, trained as a neurologist, and practiced in clinics before my Ph.D study in 2000. I had postdoctoral training on neuropathology at Neuroscience Research Australia in Sydney, Australia. I became a conjunct Lecturer and Senior Research Officer in January 2008, a conjoint senior lecturer and associate professor of New South Wales University, Australia in 2012 and 2016. In Dec....view more
I obtained MBBS degree from Harbin Medical University, China in 1991, trained as a neurologist, and practiced in clinics before my Ph.D study in 2000. I had postdoctoral training on neuropathology at Neuroscience Research Australia in Sydney, Australia. I became a conjunct Lecturer and Senior Research Officer in January 2008, a conjoint senior lecturer and associate professor of New South Wales University, Australia in 2012 and 2016. In Dec. 2017, I took the position of Director, Human Brain & Tissue Bank at China National Clinical Research Centre for Neurological Diseases, Beijing Tiantan Hospital, Capital Medical University, China. I spend 20% of my time in clinic and 80% in research. I see patients at familial neurodegeneration outpatient clinic, Neurology Department, and at research clinic, China National Clinical Research Center for Neurological Diseases, Beijing Tiantan Hospital, Capital Medical University, China.
I am interested in using genetics and neuropathological approaches to perform medical researches on neurodegenerative disorders, such as Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s Disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and frontotemporal dementia, etc. In the past five years, I have been primarily supervising nine postgraduates and one postdoc. I am also full of enthusiasm in promoting healthcare for rare groups by organizing doctor-patients interaction meetings. I created Tiantan Brain Health Volunteers Group (2019), organized Tiantan International Conferences on Movement Disorders (2022), maintain annual Human Brain & Tissue Banking national ongoing continuing medical education (CME) (Four times so far). I have been invited by several international journals to review articles and be on editorial board such as Frontiers in Neurology, etc. I have published over 90 research articles with H index 31. I am participating in three clinical trials with support from pharmaceutical companies.
(updated on 2023.03)
1. Co-morbidities of Heart and Brain - Provincial Collaborative Innovation Center for Prevention and Control of Major Cardiovascular Diseases, Capital Medical University, China, 2022.04-2023.04
2. Clinical evaluation of the accuracy of RT-QuIC for the diagnosis of alpha-synucleinopathies, ID: 2022SKLID306, State Key Laboratory of Infectious Disease Prevention and Control, China, 2022.06-2023.06
3. Brain Health Management of Living Donors, National Human Body, Tissue and Organ Donation Management Center, China, 2021.08-2022.12
4. Exploring the mechanism and clinical application of cellular exocytosis vesicles on the progression of alpha-synucleinopathies. National Natural Program of China, ID: 82071417, 2021.01-2024.12
5. Enrol GBA gene mutants in China, YiCheng Fundation, China, 2022.12-2023.12
6. Enrol HD in China, Beijing Tiantan Hospital, Capital Medical University, China, 2018.12-2023.12
7. Human Brain Banking, Beijing Tiantan Hospital, Capital Medical University, China, 2017.12-2022.12
MBBS, Harbin Medical University, Harbin, China
MD, Harbin Medical University, Harbin, China
PhD, Harbin Medical University, Harbin, China & Capital Medical University, Beijing, China & Flinders University, Australia
GCULT, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
I am available to supervise HDR Candidates if they would like to conduct data based analysis and bioinformatics research on Parkinson's disease and in Alzheimer's disease. For laboratory based projects, I am available to co-supervise to provide my expertise to HDR based in Sydney. Alternatively, if the HDR would be able to conduct the experiemnts in Beijing, the laboratory based projects are also doable.
Ph.D students, MD students and Postdoc with location in Beijing Tiantan Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
1. Australia and New Zealand Neurologists and Neuropathologists Association
2. Australian Association of Chinese Biomedical Scientists (AACBS)
3. Member of International Parkinson and Movement Disorders Society
4. Member of the Neuropathology Group of the Chinese Society of Neurology
5. Member of the Special Committee of the Neurodegenerative Diseases Branch of the Chinese Society of Microcirculation
6. Member of the 5th Chinese Society of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Geriatrics Branch, Geriatric Neurology Committee