Silicon photovoltaics, high-rate energy storage, electrodeposition, electroanalysis, inkjet and aerosol jet printing, dielectric patterning
Field of Research (FoR)
I am a Research and Teaching academic in the School of Photovoltaic and Renewable Energy Engineering and an ARC Future Fellow (2017-2021). My research focuses on the areas of silicon solar cell metallisation and interconnection, optical modelling for photovoltaics and more recently high power lithium ion storage and autonomous solar energy harvesting devices. Within the Learning & Teaching space, I have been activley involved in developing...view more
I am a Research and Teaching academic in the School of Photovoltaic and Renewable Energy Engineering and an ARC Future Fellow (2017-2021). My research focuses on the areas of silicon solar cell metallisation and interconnection, optical modelling for photovoltaics and more recently high power lithium ion storage and autonomous solar energy harvesting devices. Within the Learning & Teaching space, I have been activley involved in developing innovative teaching approaches, especially using gamification for greater student engagement. I have led the development of both the PV Factory and PlayEnergy teaching software and will in 2020 lead one of the initial vertically-integrated projects in the Faculty of Engineering's project-based learning trial. Prior to my employment at UNSW in 2010, I worked as a research scientist at Canon Information Systems Research Australia, where I was involved in research ranging from display and printing device simulations to the development of materials/technology for printing, imaging and display applications.
- A. Lennon, Y. Li and P.-C. Hsiao (2019) Thermomechanical stress and optical modelling for silicon photovoltaic modules, UNSW research collaborations with 3M.
- S. Huang, A. Lennon, R. Patterson and Y. Li (2019) Luminescent solar concentrator for transparent glass/window using quantum dot material, UNSW research collaboration with ClearVue technologies Ltd.
- A. Lennon, A. Rodrigues Augusto and S. Bowden (2018-2020) Investigation of Performance Degradation Pathways in Silicon Photovoltaic Modules Arising from Copper-Plated Metallisation, ACAP Small Project (Australian Centre for Advanced Photovoltaics).
- N. Song, U. Römer, A Lennon, Y. Yang, X. Zhang and Y. Chen (2018-2020) Silicon Solar Cells with Silicon Carbide Passivated Contacts, ACAP Small Project (Australian Centre for Advanced Photovoltaics).
- A. Lennon, N. Song, Z. Ouyang, B. Newman (ECN, Netherlands) and J. Lv (LONGi Solar, China) (2017-2021) ARENA Solar R&D Round, Metallised Encapsulant for Silicon PV Modules: A Path to Reduced LCOE for PV-Generated Electricity, ARENA 2017/RND002 (ARENA with Industrial partners LONGi Solar and Sizhuo PvTech).
- A. Lennon (2017-2021), Future Fellowship Level 3 FT170100449, Charge Transfer at Nanostructured Semiconductor Surfaces.
- A. Lennon, Z. Ouyang and P. Burr (2017-2019), ARC Discovery Grant DP170103219, Advanced Electrochemical Capacitors.
- X. Hao, B. Hoex, A. Lennon, M. Green, G. Conibeer, S. Huang, Z. Ouyang, R. Patterson, Y.-H. Ng, D.-W. Wang (2017) UNSW Research Infrastructure Scheme, Dual-chamber evaporator for commercial Si wafer solar cells and emerging earth-abundant thin film solar cells, UNSW Research Infrastructure.
- H. Yang, A. Lennon, Z. Ouyang, Y. Li (2016) Key R&D Plan of Hunan Province (Class: International Technology Innovation Collaboration), Optimisation and control of nanotechnology-based high-efficiency solar cell/supercapacitor hybrid system.
- D.-W. Wang, Q.-H. Yang (Tsinghua University, China), R. Amal, J. Bao, Assoc. A. Lennon, W. Lv (Tsinghua University, China) (2016), UNSW-Tsinghua Collaborative Research Fund, High-Energy Aqueous Sulfide Battery for Integrated Solar Energy Storage.
- K. Weber et al. (2014-2017) ARENA RND-003 Advanced Surface and Contact Technologies for Industrial Silicon Photovoltaics, with Trina Solar and ANU. A. Lennon lead CI for UNSW.
- A. Lennon and P. Basore (2012), ASI 1-USO016, Commercial Viability of Anodic Aluminium Oxide Surface Passivation for Silicon Solar Cells (Australia Solar Institute, Hanwha Solar US, Suntech R&D Australia).
- S. Wenham, A. Lennon and Z. Shi (2011-2015), ASI 1-A082, Overcoming the Fundamental Performance Limitations of Commercial Solar Cells.
- D. Jordan, A. Lennon and M. Edwards (2011), New South Innovations (NSi) POC Project, LIP for LDSE, UNSW Strategic funds.
- A. Lennon and S. Wenham (2010-2014), ARC Linkage LP100100712 Industrial High Efficiency Solar Cells.
- PhD in Photovoltaic Engineering (UNSW, 2010)
- PhD in Biophysical NMR (University of Sydney, 1995)
- B. Sc. (Hons) and University Medal (University of Sydney, 1991)
- Faculty of Engineering Students' Choice Teaching Award 2018
- Faculty of Engineering Excellence Award - Innovation in Learning and Teaching 2018
- ARC Future Fellowship (Level 3) 2017
- Innovation Award Winner for Poster: Energy Harvesting-Storage System Based on an Integrated Silicon Photovoltaic-Supercapacitor Hybrid Device, Future Energy 2016 Conference, UNSW
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
- Silicon photovoltaics metallisation and cell interconnection
- Photovoltaic module durability and physics-of-failure analysis
- High-rate energy storage
- Solar energy harvesting devices
- Benjamin Phua
- Xiaowei Shen
- Derwin Lau
- Charles Hall
- Zhimeng Wang
- Mreedula Mungra
- Mengdi Liu
SOLA3020 (2010-2015); SOLA3507 (2010-2018) and guest lectures: SOLA1070, SOLA2540, GSOE9111