Field of Research (FoR)
My research team investigates how changes in metabolism affect normal physiology and disease states. We have discovered small molecules that increase metabolic rate and are currently focused on their therapeutic potential to prevent metabolic decline in ageing and reversal of obesity, diabetes, and fatty liver disease. We are interested in most metabolic questions and have many collaborations investigating how changes in...view more
My research team investigates how changes in metabolism affect normal physiology and disease states. We have discovered small molecules that increase metabolic rate and are currently focused on their therapeutic potential to prevent metabolic decline in ageing and reversal of obesity, diabetes, and fatty liver disease. We are interested in most metabolic questions and have many collaborations investigating how changes in metabolism affect immune system function, organ transplant, and ischemic reperfusion injury.
Selected publications (of 70)
- 2008 - Hoehn KL, Hohnen-Behrens C, Cederberg A, Turner N, Wu L, Yuasa T, Ebina Y, James DE. IRS-1 Independent Defects Define Major Nodes of Insulin Resistance. Cell Metabolism. May; 7(5):421-33.
- 2009 - Hoehn KL, Salmon AB, Hohnen-Behrens C, Turner N, Hoy AJ, Maghzal GJ, Stocker R, Van Remmen H, Kraegen EW, Cooney GJ, Richardson AR, James DE. Insulin resistance is a cellular antioxidant defense mechanism. PNAS. Oct 20; 106 (42):17787-92.
- 2010 - Hoehn KL*, Turner N*, Swarbrick MM, Wilks D, Preston E, Phua Yuwei, Joshi H, Furler SM, Larance M, Hegarty BD, Leslie SJ, Pickford R, Hoy AJ, Kraegen EW, James DE, and Cooney GJ. Acute or chronic upregulation of mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation has no net effect on whole body energy expenditure or adiposity. Cell Metabolism. Jan; 11(1):70-6. *co-first author.
- 2011 – Park D, Han C, Elliott MR, Kinchen JM, Trampont PC, Das S, Collins S, Lysiak JJ, Hoehn KL, and Ravichandaran KS. Continued clearance of apoptotic cells critically depends on the phagocyte Ucp2 protein. Nature. Aug 21; 477(7363):220-4.
- 2013 – Taddeo EP, Laker RC, Breen DS, Akhtar YN, Kenwood BM, Liao JA, Zhang M, Fazakerley DJ, Tomsig JL, Chow JD, Lynch KR, Chokki M, Molkentin JD, Turner N, James DE, Yan Z, and Hoehn KL. Opening of the Mitochondrial Permeability Transition Pore is Required for Insulin Resistance in Skeletal Muscle. Molecular Metabolism. Nov 26;3(2):124-34.
- 2013 – Kenwood BM, Weaver JL, Bajwa A, Poon IK, Byrne FL, Murrow BA, Calderone JA, Huang L, Divakaruni AS, Tomsig JL, Okabe K, Columbus L, Lynch KR, Ravichandran KS, Yan Z, Uchiyama S, Santos WL, Rogers GW, Okusa MD, Bayliss DA, and Hoehn KL. Identification of a Novel Mitochondrial Uncoupler that Does Not Depolarize the Plasma Membrane. Molecular Metabolism. Nov 28;3(2):114-23.
- 2014 – Byrne FL, Poon IKH, Modesitt SC, Tomsig JL, Chow JDY, Healy ME, Baker WD, Atkins K, Lancaster JM, Marchion DC, Moley KH, Ravichandran KS, Slack-Davis JK, and Hoehn KL. Metabolic vulnerabilities in obesity-related endometrial cancer. Cancer Research. Oct 15;74(20):5832-45.
- 2014 – Chow JD, Lawrence RT, Healy ME, Dominy JE, Liao JA, Byrne FL, Breen DS, Okutsu S, Kenwood BM, Mas V, Lackner C, Caldwell SH, Tomsig JL, Cooney GJ, Turner N, Puigserver PB, James DE, Villén J, and Hoehn KL. Genetic inhibition of hepatic acetyl-CoA carboxylase activity increases liver fat and alters global protein acetylation. Molecular Metabolism. Mar 12;3(4):419-31. doi: 10.1016/j.molmet.2014.02.004.
- 2015 – Healy ME, Chow JDY, Byrne FL, Breen DS, Leitinger N, Li C, Lackner C, Caldwell SH, and Hoehn KL. Dietary effects on liver tumor burden in mice treated with the hepatocellular carcinogen diethylnitrosamine. Journal of Hepatology. Mar;62(3):599-606.
- 2015 – Serasinghe MN, Weider SY, Thibaud TR, Elkholi R, Asciolla JJ, Yao JL, Jabado O, Hoehn K, Kageyama Y, Sesake H, and Chipuk JE. Mitochondrial division is requisite to RAS-induced transformation and targeted by mitooncogenic MAPK pathway inhibitors. Molecular Cell. Feb 5;57(3):521-536.
- 2015 – Kashatus JA, Nascimento A, Myers L, Sher A, Byrne FL, Hoehn KL, Counter CM, and Kashatus DF. Erk2 phosphorylation of Drp1 promotes mitochondrial fission and Ras-driven tumor growth. Molecular Cell. Feb 5;57(3):537-551.
- 2017 – Nelson ME, Lahiri S, Chow JDY, Byrne FL, Hargett SR, Breen DS, Olzomer EM, Wu LE, Cooney GJ, Turner N, James DE, Slack-Davis JK, Lackner C, Caldwell SH, and Hoehn KL. Inhibition of hepatic lipogenesis enhances liver tumorigenesis by increasing antioxidant defense and promoting cell survival. Nature Communications. Mar 14;8:14689. doi: 10.1038/ncomms14689.
- 2017 – Childress ES, Alexopoulos SJ, Hoehn KL, Santos WL. Small Molecule Mitochondrial Uncouplers and Their Therapeutic Potential. J Med Chem. Jun 14;61(11):4641-4655. doi: 10.1021/acs.jmedchem.7b01182.
- 2018 – Byrne FL, Hargett SR, Lahiri S, Roy RJ, Berr SS, Caldwell SH, Hoehn KL. Serial MRI Imaging Reveals Minimal Impact of Ketogenic Diet on Established Liver Tumor Growth. Cancers. Sep 5;10(9). doi: 10.3390/cancers10090312.
- 2018 - Byrne FL, Olzomer EM, Brink R, Hoehn KL. Knockout of glucose transporter GLUT6 has minimal effects on whole-body metabolic physiology in mice. AJP Endocrinology and Metabolism. Apr 17. doi: 10.1152/ajpendo.00082.2018.
- 2018 – Fazakerley DJ, Chaudhuri R, Yang P, Maghzal GJ, Thomas KC, Krycer JR, Humphrey SJ, Parker BL, Fisher-Wellman KH, Meoli CC, Hoffman NJ, Diskin C, Burchfield JG, Cowley MJ, Kaplan W, Modrusan Z, Kolumam G, Yang JY, Chen DL, Samocha-Bonet D, Greenfield JR, Hoehn KL, Stocker R, James DE. Mitochondrial CoQ deficiency is a common driver of mitochondrial oxidants and insulin resistance. Elife. Feb 6;7. doi: 10.7554/eLife.32111.
- 2019 – Gemta LF, Siska PJ, Nelson ME, Gao X, Liu X, Locasale JW, Yagita H, Slingluff CL Jr, Hoehn KL, Rathmell JC, Bullock TNJ. Impaired enolase 1 glycolytic activity restrains effector functions of tumor-infiltrating CD8+ T cells. Science Immunology. 2019 Jan 25;4(31). doi: 10.1126/sciimmunol.aap9520.
- 2019 – Caruana BT, Byrne FL, Knights AJ, Quinlan KGR, Hoehn KL. Characterization of Glucose Transporter 6 in Lipopolysaccharide-Induced Bone Marrow-Derived Macrophage Function. Journal of Immunology. 2019 Mar 15;202(6):1826-1832. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1801063. Epub Jan 30.
- 2020 – Childress E, Salamoun J, Hargett SH, Alexopoulos SJ, Chen SY, Shah D, Santiago-Rivera J, Garcia C, Dai Y, Tucker SJ, Hoehn KL*, and Santos WL*. [1,2,5]Oxadiazolo[3,4-b]pyrazine-5,6-diamine Derivatives as Mitochondrial Uncouplers for the Potential Treatment of Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. Feb 4. doi: 10.1021/acs.jmedchem.9b01440 *co-corresponding.
- 2020 - Byrne FL, Olzomer EM, Marriott GR, Quek LE, Katen A, Su J, Nelson ME, Hart-Smith G, Larance M, Sebesfi VF, Cuff J, Martyn GE, Childress E, Alexopoulos SJ, Poon IK, Faux MC, Burgess AW, Reid G, McCarroll JA, Santos WL, Quinlan KG, Turner N, Fazakerley DJ, Kumar N, and Hoehn KL. Phenotypic screen for oxygen consumption rate identifies an anti-cancer naphthoquinone that induces mitochondrial oxidative stress. Redox Biology. Jan;28:101374. doi: 10.1016/j.redox.2019.101374.
- Bachelor degree in Chemistry, Univ. of Northern Colorado 2000
- Bachelor degree in Biology, Univ. of Northern Colorado 2000
- Master of Science degree in Biochemistry, Colorado State University 2001
- PhD degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Colorado State University 2005
- To identify new molecules that improve healthy ageing
- To develop molecules that reverse obesity and metabolic diseases
- To develop new and better chemical tools for assessing mitochondrial function
- To determine how dietary nutrients contribute to cancer initiation and/or progression