Associate Professor Cecile King, Ph.D., joined the School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences at the University of New South Wales Sydney in 2021. CK received her Ph.D. in Immunology from UWA and completed her postdoctoral training at the Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, USA. She joined the faculty of the Garvan Institute for Medical Research, Sydney, Australia in 2005. CK continues to be intrigued by how the immune system...view more
Associate Professor Cecile King, Ph.D., joined the School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences at the University of New South Wales Sydney in 2021. CK received her Ph.D. in Immunology from UWA and completed her postdoctoral training at the Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, USA. She joined the faculty of the Garvan Institute for Medical Research, Sydney, Australia in 2005. CK continues to be intrigued by how the immune system maintains tolerance to self and has made important contributions to our understanding of adaptive immune responses and autoimmunity. CK’s current research focus is RNA at the immune interface: Understanding both immune recognition of RNA and immune regulation by non-coding RNA and transposable elements.
Research and Teaching Experience
2021-current: Lecturer-BABS 2202
2021-current: Associate Professor, School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences (BABS), UNSW.
2018-2019: Marie Curie/FRIAS Fellow and Visiting Professor, University of Freiburg, Center for Chronic Immunodeficiency (CCI).
2013-present: Conjoint Associate Professor, St. Vincent’s Clinical School, UNSW Medicine.
2007-2013: Conjunct Senior Lecturer, St Vincent’s Clinical School, UNSW Medicine.
2005-2021: Senior Research Fellow and Laboratory Head. Department of Immunology, The Garvan Institute of Medical Research.
2002-2004: Senior Research Associate/JDRF Postdoctoral Research Fellow. Department of Immunology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA, USA.
2001-2002: Guest lecturer, University of California, San Diego, Virology BIMM 114.
1997-2001: Research Associate/ JDRF Postdoctoral Research Fellow. Department of Immunology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA, USA.
Awards and Honours
2019 Senior Fellowship in the Marie Skłodowska-Curie FCFP at the Freiburg Institute for Advanced Studies (FRIAS), The University of Freiburg, Germany.
2014 The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation/Macquarie Group Foundation Diabetes Research Innovation Award.
2012 Diabetes Australia Research Trust type-1 diabetes Millennium Award.
2012 Rebecca L. Cooper Medical Research Foundation Award.
2010 NHMRC Career Development Research Fellow II.
- Cecile King and Jonathan Sprent (2021). The dual nature of type-I interferons in SARS-CoV-2 induced inflammation. Trends in Immunology 42(4):312-322 01 Apr 2021. doi:10.1016/ j.it.2021.02.003.
- Loetsch C, Warren J, Laskowski A, Vazquez-Lombardi R, Jandl C, Langley DB, Christ D, Thorburn DR, Ryugo DK, Sprent J, Batten M, King C (2017) Cytosolic Recognition of RNA Drives the Immune Response to Heterologous Erythrocytes. Cell Reports 21 (6):1624-1638. doi:10.1016/j.celrep.2017.10.044
- Jandl C, Liu SM, Cañete PF, Warren J, Hughes WE, Vogelzang A, Webster K, Craig ME, Uzel G, Dent A, Stepensky P, Keller B, Warnatz K, Sprent J, King C (2017) IL-21 restricts T follicular regulatory T cell proliferation through Bcl-6 mediated inhibition of responsiveness to IL-2. Nature Communications 8. doi:10.1038/ncomms14647.
- McGuire HM, Vogelzang A, Ma CS, Hughes WE, Silveira PA, Tangye SG, Christ D, Fulcher D, Falcone M, King C (2011) A Subset of Interleukin-21(+) Chemokine Receptor CCR9(+) T Helper Cells Target Accessory Organs of the Digestive System in Autoimmunity. Immunity 34 (4):602-615. doi:10.1016/j.immuni.2011.01.021.
- King C, Sarvetnick N (2011) The incidence of type-1 diabetes in NOD mice is modulated by restricted flora not germ-free conditions. PLoS One 6 (2):e17049 doi:10.1371/ journal.pone. 0017049.
- King C (2011) A Fine Romance: T Follicular Helper Cells and B Cells. Immunity 34 (6):827-829. doi:10.1016/j.immuni.2011.06.007.
- McGuire HM, Vogelzang A, Hill N, Flodstrom-Tullberg M, Sprent J, King C (2009) Loss of parity between IL-2 and IL-21 in the NOD Idd3 locus. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 106 (46):19438-19443.
- King C (2009) New insights into the differentiation and function of T follicular helper cells. Nature Reviews Immunology 9 (11):757-766.
- Vogelzang A, McGuire HM, Yu D, Sprent J, Mackay CR, King C (2008) A fundamental role for interleukin-21 in the generation of T follicular helper cells. Immunity 29 (1):127-137. doi:10.1016/j.immuni.2008.06.001.
- King C, Tangye SG, MacKay CR (2008) T follicular helper (TFH) cells in normal and dysregulated immune responses. Annual Review of Immunology 26:741-766. doi:10.1146/annurev.immunol.26.021607.090344.
- King C, Ilic A, Koelsch K, Sarvetnick N (2004) Homeostatic expansion of T cells during immune insufficiency generates autoimmunity. Cell 117 (2):265-277. doi:10.1016/ s0092-8674(04)00335-6.
My Research Activities