Mining Engineering; Mine Ventilation; Rock Mechanics; Mine Safety ; Low Emission Technologies
Fields of Research (FoR)Mining engineering, Geomechanics and resources geotechnical engineering, Applied geophysics, Occupational and workplace health and safety, Petroleum and reservoir engineering
Dr Guangyao Si is a Senior Lecturer at the School of Minerals and Energy Resources Engineering. He was initially trained as a mining engineer from the top mining university in China, China University of Mining Technology. He graduated as the top student among nearly 280 mining peers in 2010. Due to his excellent academic performance, he was awarded three scholarships by Imperial College London to sponsor his PhD research under the supervision...view more
Dr Guangyao Si is a Senior Lecturer at the School of Minerals and Energy Resources Engineering. He was initially trained as a mining engineer from the top mining university in China, China University of Mining Technology. He graduated as the top student among nearly 280 mining peers in 2010. Due to his excellent academic performance, he was awarded three scholarships by Imperial College London to sponsor his PhD research under the supervision of Professor Sevket Durucan. Guangyao defended his thesis in 2015 with outstanding research outputs and then continued his work at Imperial College London as a Research Associate until the end of 2017. From December 2017, Guangyao moved from the UK to Australia to take a faculty position at UNSW. Having been studying and working for the mining industry at three different continents, Guangyao determines to devote himself to explore fundamental knowledge boundaries as well as develop industry-oriented research solutions.
- Collaborated with a wide range of mining companies: Anglo American, Glencore, BMA, Centennial.
- Peer-review expert for International Journal of Coal Geology, Fuel, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Science, Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, etc.
- Scientific Editor, Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering
- Member of the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (AusIMM), and Society of Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration (SME).
Guangyao's research expertise was forged through years of collaborations with prestigious research institutes and industry operators, which are constituted by international and multidisciplinary teams. Through these collaborations, Guangyao has been immersed in various fields such as Reservoir Engineering, Geophysics, Geostatistics, and Geomechanics. The blending of these areas grants him a unique perspective to investigate challenges arising from the modern mining industry. His fundamental research interest lies in developing safer, smarter, and more sustainable mining technologies, which includes:
- Coal seam gas capturing and utilisation,
- Goaf management and spontaneous combustion
- Multiphysics coupled simulation,
- Mining induced seismicity management,
- Mining hazard prevention and mitigation,
- Machine learning applications in mining
We are constantly recruiting highly able, enthusiastic and well-motivated PhD students from subjects including Mining Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, Civil Engineering, and other related engineering subjects. Students with an outstanding background in math, physics and programming are strongly encouraged to apply.
We have several PhD scholarships available to be distributed in 2022/2023. Please contact me asap to discuss research topics.
Lead and Co-Investigator for over 2.1 million research projects. Major Cat 1 research projects are listed below:
- Guangyao Si, Peyman Mostaghimi, Ting Ren, Bharath Belle, Jian Zhang, Liang Zhao, Maximise goaf gas drainage for safe coal extraction and emissions reduction, $298,389, ARC Linkage Project
- Guangyao Si, Joung Oh, Peyman Mostaghimi, Zhentao Li, Reliable determination of strata gas content using geophysical logs and laboratory measurements: Stage 1, $129k, ACARP.
- Guangyao Si, Appraisal of gas indicators from goaf drainage holes for spontaneous combustion and explosion risk management, ACARP, 2020-2021, $120k.
- Duncan Chalmers, Guangyao Si, Evaluating GAG docking Connections/Simulations, ACARP, $82k, 2020-2021
- Peyman Mostaghimi, Ismet Canbulat, Ryan Armstrong, Chengguo Zhang, Guangyao Si, Direct measurements of effective diffusion coefficient of coal), ACARP, 2020-2021, $175k.
- Guangyao Si, Joung Oh, Paul Hagan, Naj Aziz, Ali Mirzaghorbanal, Development of a numerical modelling approach to better understand the effect of cable bolt performance on roof failure mechanisms in varying rock mass conditions, ACARP, July 2018-July 2020, $389k.
MINESOC Best Lecturer (2018)
Unearthed Young Innovator Award (2018)
Imperial Rector’s Scholarship (2011-2014)
Imperial College International Scholarship (2011-2014)
Janet & Watson Scholarship (2011-2014)
Outstanding Graduate Scholarship (2010)
National Scholarship (2006-2007, 2007-2008)
Bucyrus Scholarship (2008-2009)
Outstanding Student of Jiangsu Province (2008)
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
Mining health and safety;
Primary Supervision: Shuyu Wang; Xin Zhang; Fatemeh Soleimani; Yuehan Wang; Xu Li; Zexin Yu
Joint/Co-supervision: Changbin Wang; Jiaxuan Zhang; Yi Duan; Zizhuo Xiang
MINE3310 - Mining Geomechanics
MINE3510 - Mine Ventilation
MINE3430 - Mining Systems
MINE4510 - Advanced Mine Ventilation