Fields of Research (FoR)Artificial Intelligence and Image Processing, Engineering Design, Optimisation
Dr. Hemant Kumar Singh completed his PhD from University of New South Wales (UNSW) Australia in 2011 and B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur in 2007. Since 2013, he has worked with UNSW Australia as a Lecturer (2013-2017) and Senior Lecturer (2017-) in the School of Engineering and Information Technology. He also worked with GE Aviation at John F. Welch Technology Centre as a Lead Engineer during...view more
Dr. Hemant Kumar Singh completed his PhD from University of New South Wales (UNSW) Australia in 2011 and B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur in 2007. Since 2013, he has worked with UNSW Australia as a Lecturer (2013-2017) and Senior Lecturer (2017-) in the School of Engineering and Information Technology. He also worked with GE Aviation at John F. Welch Technology Centre as a Lead Engineer during 2011-13. His research interests include development of evolutionary computation methods with a focus on engineering design optimization problems. He has nearly 100 refereed publications this area. He is the recipient of ARC Discovery Project 2019-22, Endeavour Fellowship 2018, Australia Australia Bicentennial Fellowship 2016, WCSMO Early Career Researcher Fellowship 2015 and The Australian Society for Defence Engineering Prize 2011 among others. More details are available at his personal webpage: http://www.mdolab.net/Hemant/.
- ARC Discovery Project | Singh and Deb, Evolutionary computation for robust multi-objective engineering design, 2019-22.
- Endeavour Fellowship by Australian Government Department of Education and Training | Singh, 2018-19.
- University-industry collaborative grant with Staybil Pvt. Ltd. by APR Intern (formerly AMSI intern) program | Singh and Huynh, 2017-18.
- US Office of Naval Research Grant | Abbass, ElSayed and Singh, 2018-20.
- Australia-China Young Scientists Exchange Program by Australian Department of Industry, Innovation and Science and the Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology | Singh, 2017.
- Australia-Germany Joint Research Cooperation Scheme by Universities Australia and DAAD | Singh, Bhattacharjee, Ray, Mostaghim and Moritz, 2017-2018.
- Australian Bicentennial Fellowship by Menzies Centre for Australian Studies, Kings College London, UK | Singh, 2016.
- Travel Grant by Ian Potter Foundation | Singh, 2016.
- PhD, University of New South Wales, Australia, 2011
- B.Tech (Mechanical Engineering), Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India, 2007
- World Congress on Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization (WCSMO-11) ECR Fellowship, 2015.
- Travel award by CASS (Contributing to Australian Scholarship and Science Foundation, 2015.
- Above and beyond Award, GE Aviation, India: For enhancment of advanced data matching tool, 2012.
- P3DT Quality cup, GE Aviation, India (team award):, For following ISO rigor in execution of projects, 2012.
- The Australian Society for Defence Engineering Prize, UNSW Australia: Awarded to the most outstanding thesis by a postgraduate research student completing a Masters by research or a PhD in the School of Engineering and Information Technology, 2011.
- Research presentation award, UNSW Australia: Annual faculty research day, 2010.
- Research poster award (packer's prize), UNSW Australia: Annual faculty research day, 2010.
My Research Activities
My research interest lies broadly in developing efficient evolutionary computation methods for design optimization. It encapsulates problems such as:
- Multi-/many-objective optimization and decision-making
- Constraint handling in evolutionary algorithms
- Bilevel optimization
- Computationally expensive/surrogate-assisted optimization
- Multi-concept optimization
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
Evolutionary Computation, Design Optimization, Evolutionary Multi-objective Optimization and decision-making, Constrained optimization, Bilevel Optimization
Quang Nhat Huynh | PhD, primary supervisor
Kamrul Rahi | Masters (research), primary supervisor
Dael Liddicoat | Masters (research), co-supervisor
Ahsanul Habib | Phd, co-supervisor, graduated 2019. Currently with IP Australia
Shelvin Chand | PhD, primary supervisor, graduated 2018. Currently Postdoctoral Fellow with CSIRO, Australia
Kalyan Shankar Bhattacharjee | Phd, co-supervisor, graduated 2018. Currently Senior Data Scientist with GWF, Australia
Monjurul Islam | Phd, primary supervisor, graduated 2018. Currently Lecturer with CIT, Australia
Marwa Hassan | Masters (research), co-supervisor, graduated 2017. Currently doctoral student with UNSW Canberra, Australia
Liu Min | Phd, co-supervisor, graduated 2014. Currently with Visionstream, Australia
ZEIT 3500 Engineering Structures
ZEIT 3700 Mechanical Design 1
ZEIT 4700 Mechanical Design 2