Chinese media, gender, family and marriage, Chinese culture, Intercultural marriage studies
Fields of Research (FoR)Studies of Asian society, Multicultural, intercultural and cross-cultural studies, Social change, Consumer-oriented product or service development
Dr WANG Pan is Senior Lecturer in Chinese and Asian Studies, University of New South Wales. She is the author of Love and Marriage in Globalizing China (Abingdon: Routledge 2015). Recent publications include (2020) International romance: changing discourses of Chinese-foreign intimacy in the decades of economic reforms, in Sun WN and Yang L (eds) Love Stories in China: The Politics of Intimacy in the Twenty-First Century, Routledge; (2018)...view more
Dr WANG Pan is Senior Lecturer in Chinese and Asian Studies, University of New South Wales. She is the author of Love and Marriage in Globalizing China (Abingdon: Routledge 2015). Recent publications include (2020) International romance: changing discourses of Chinese-foreign intimacy in the decades of economic reforms, in Sun WN and Yang L (eds) Love Stories in China: The Politics of Intimacy in the Twenty-First Century, Routledge; (2018) Foreign-related marriages in contemporary China (1979–2013), in Zang X.W. (ed.), Handbook of the Family and Marriage in China, Edward Elgar; and (2017) ‘Inventing Traditions: Television Dating Shows in the People’s Republic of China’, Media, Culture and Society, 39 (4): 504–19.
Pan's teaching and research areas include Chinese media, gender, marriage and family, and Chinese cultural studies.
Graduate Diploma in Secondary Education (KLA: Commerce/Business/Economics; English), Australia Catholic University.
PhD International Studies, China Research Centre, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, University of Technology, Sydney.
MA International Journalism, Cardiff University, UK). Conferred: 16 January 2007.
BA Economic Journalism, Beijing Technology and Business University, China. Conferred: 1 July 2005.
- 2019 Dean’s Award for Excellent Early Career Teachers, University of New South Wales, Sydney
- 2018 ARC Kathleen Fitzpatrick Laureate Fellowship Mentoring Scheme Award
- 2018 Course and Subject Performance Award, University of Technology Sydney, Australia
- 2013 Open Taichi Championships Gold medals (24 & 42 Yang style) Taichi Association of Australia (TCAA)
- 2000 National Athlete Certificate, People's Republic of China
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
Marriage and family in China; International migration and intercultural intimacy; Chinese media and communication
Wang P. 2020 Interview (in Chinese): 特写：澳洲华人的跨文化跨族裔婚姻 [Feature: Chinese-foreign marriages in Australia], ABC News, 6 November, https://www.abc.net.au/chinese/2020-11-06/cross-cultural-marriages-in-australian-chinese-community/12854368
Wang P. 2020 Facebook live show (in Chinese): 华人跨文化婚姻的酸甜苦辣 [The ups and downs of Chinese-foreign marriages], ABC News, [Video], 4 November, https://www.facebook.com/abcchinese.au/videos/1021255298393430/
- Wang P. 2020 Interview (in Chinese): ‘我会首先考虑到我的需求：华裔性小众谈出柜决定’[I will prioritize my own desire: LGBT communities [in China and Australia] share their experiences of ‘coming out’, ABC News, 1 October, https://www.abc.net.au/chinese/2020-09-30/coming-out-is-hard-for-young-chinese-australians/12717660 and ‘专家谈形婚、同妻等在中国带来的社会问题’[Expert talks about social problems brought about by “cooperative marriage” and “homowives” in China]，https://www.abc.net.au/chinese/2020-09-30/%E7%8E%8B%E7%9B%BC/12718060
- Wang P. 2020 Interview (broadcast): food security and meat consumption in China, Yahoo News Australia, https://au.news.yahoo.com/activist-group-says-going-vegan-051303455.html
- Wang P. 2020 Interview: animal welfare and prevention of future pandemic, Yahoo News Australia, 15 April https://au.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-how-chinese-farmers-could-prevent-the-next-pandemic-experts-say-230348573.html
- Wang P. 2020 Interview: gender and feminism in China, South China Morning Post, 3 March https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/politics/article/3074027/unsung-heroes-5-asian-women-who-will-make-you-rethink-gender
- Wang P. 2020 Interview: Sydney Morning Herald, Australia, the year of the rat, 22 Jan
- Wang P. 2019 Interview: SBS Mandarin. Yang Hengjun case, 28 August 28, 2019 (media request via UNSW Media)
- Wang P. 2019 Interview: Business of Fashion, on romance & culture of expensive gift-giving, 28 July, file:///G:/Professional%20Services/interviews/Can%20Money%20Buy%20Love%20Some%20Brands%20Are%20Bet...%20BoF%20Professional,%20China%20Decoded%20%20BoF.pdf
- Wang P. 2019 Interview: Ten Daily, on Chinese attitudes towards dog meat 23 June, https://10daily.com.au/news/world/a190618wcpex/terrified-dogs-rescued-ahead-of-annual-yulin-festival-20190622
- Wang P. 2019 Interview: Yahoo News Australia on Dog meat festival, 20 June https://au.news.yahoo.com/we-are-taking-away-peoples-livelihoods-inside-the-controversial-yulin-dog-festival-091909041.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAD0NCT20GmIQlDuifXCLVy7JrPthDusexjNeMRx0bEYlHa0_6KOlZLowrJXtwNyVGdb8wWVtEF784zM2ql7oqPI7m26-Y-DT9XRR4wfbU0lm1-ScvR_9qfCFm8lOV5Ksqm8Op8pGy6C7NuS90KXuUr0pwmeSwILnCsAGyNdMWZmO
- Wang P. 2019 Interview: ABC News, on China’s One Child Policy and bride trafficking, 20 March https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-21/myanmar-girls-as-young-as-14-trafficked-as-brides-to-china/10920594
- Wang P. 2019 Interview: CGTN America, Global Business, on China’s single economy, 27 Feb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxssXn-RjsQ
- Wang P. 2019 Interview: Libération (French newspaper), on dating apps in China, 20 Feb
- Wang P. 2019 Interview: ABC news Chinese service, Australia on internet censorship in China, 1 Feb.
- Wang P. 2018 Interview: Sydney Morning Herald, on the Year of the Pig, 21 December, https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/what-to-do-and-what-not-to-do-in-the-year-of-the-pig-20190108-p50q5p.html
- Wang P. 2018 Interview: ABC Online, Australia, on expensive marriage and marriage practice in China, 5 December, https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-08/chinese-flaunt-their-wealth-through-weddings/10588382
- Wang P. 2018 Interview: Vice News Tonight & HBO (New York), on Fan bingbing case and celebrity in China, 21 September
- Wang P. 2018 Interview: Ten Daily, on ‘Yulin’ (dog-eating) festival in China, 15 June, https://tendaily.com.au/news/world/a180619pgl/what-is-the-yulin-dog-meat-festival-20180622
- Wang P. 2018 Interview: ABC News Chinese service, on Yue Xin’s activity and Me too campaign, 27 April. http://www.abc.net.au/chinese/2018-04-27/yuexin-event-and-metoo-movement-in-china/9705264
- Wang P. 2018 Interview: ABC News The World, 10: 35pm, 20 April. http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the-world/2018-04-20/dating-in-china-is-a-family-affair/9682990
- Wang P. 2018 Interview. Technode, China, 30 March. https://technode.com/2018/04/11/online-dating-china/
- Wang P. 2018 Interview. ABC Online, Australia, 3 April. Available at: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-22/marry-first-then-fall-in-love-how-marriage-evolved-in-china/9641958
- http://www.abc.net.au/chinese/2018-04-23/evolution-of-love-and-marriage/9688168 [Chinese]
- Wang P. 2018 Interview. The Atlantic, USA, 20 March.
- Wang P. 2018. Interview. South China Morning Post on digital dating, 11 January. Available at: https://www.inkstonenews.com/online-boyfriend/article/2127991
- Wang P. 2016. Interview. 2Ser, Think: Digital Futures, a podcast Radio show on topics of love, marriage, courtship and dating show in China, 17 July
- Wang P. 2014. Chinese-foreign Marriages in Mainland China, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese-foreign_marriages_in_mainland_China
- Wang P. 2012. Interview. ABC Radio on Chinese-foreign marriage, 31 May.
I'm currently convening and lecturing in the below courses (2018- now)
ARTS 1452 Introductory Chinese for Background Speakers A
ARTS 3216 Gender in China
ARTS 1453 Introductory Chinese for Background Speakers B
ARTS 3216 Chinese media and Communication