Korean Applied Linguistics - teaching Korean as a foreign or second language, error analysis, curriculum planning, sociolinguistic issues, semantics, and language education policy.
Field of Research (FoR)
Dr Seong-Chul Shin is an applied linguist and language educator at the School of Humanities and Languages, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at UNSW. He has a PhD in Linguistics from UNSW, a Master of Applied Linguistics from Macquarie University, Sydney and a Master of Education in Korean as a Foreign Language from Yonsei University in Seoul. His research areas include error analysis and teaching methodology in L2 Korean; curriculum...view more
Dr Seong-Chul Shin is an applied linguist and language educator at the School of Humanities and Languages, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at UNSW. He has a PhD in Linguistics from UNSW, a Master of Applied Linguistics from Macquarie University, Sydney and a Master of Education in Korean as a Foreign Language from Yonsei University in Seoul. His research areas include error analysis and teaching methodology in L2 Korean; curriculum issues in Korean at both secondary and tertiary levels; sociolinguistic issues with reference to Korean L2 situations. He has undertaken a number of research projects funded by the government agencies (e.g. The Current State of Korean Language Education in Australian Schools", Melbourne: Education Services Australia, 2010) and UNSW Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. His recent research books include Korean Heritage Language Maintenance, Learning and Development: Australian Practices and Perspectives (ed.) (Seoul: Sotong Publishing, 2019), Korean Language Education: Australian Practices and Perspectives (Seoul: Sotong Publishing, 2018) and Understanding L2 Korean Learner Errors: Description, Explanation and Implications (Seoul: Sotong Publishing, 2017). He is currently undertaking another monograph project on language maintenance and and cultural identity of children from bicultural families.
PhD in Linguistics (UNSW); MApplied Linguistics (Macquarie); MEd in KFL (Yonsei)
The Korea Foundation Field Research Fellowship
The Academy of Korean Studies Visiting Scholar Fellowship, etc.
My Research Activities
My ongoing and current research activities include:
-Language maintenance and cultural identity: children from 'marriage migrant' families in Korea.
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
I will be interested in proposals from applied and educational linguistic topics, as well as sociolinguistic thematic areas. Especially, learner error analysis, foreign/second/heritage language pedagogy, curriculum planning, issues of heritage language and translation issues are welcome.
"Heritage language development and maintenance in school-aged heritage speakers of Korean in Australia" (PhD).
"Language maintenance, shift or loss in bicultural families in multiculturalising South Korea" (PhD).
"Korean heritage language learners' linguistic competence and their cultural identity" (PhD).
- UNSW School of Humanities and Languages Research Committee (2019 - )
- UNSW, Deputy Head of School - Research (2015-2016)
- UNSW, School of Humanities and Languages Research Committee (2010-2016) and Chair (2015 - 2016)
- UNSW, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Research Committee (2015 - 2016)
- UNSW, Korean Studies Program Convenor (1994-2001, 2004-2006, 2014).
- UNSW, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Postgraduate Research Committee (2010-2013)
- UNSW, School Postgraduate Research Convenor (2010-2013)
- Korean Studies Association of Australasia (KSAA), Secretary (2010-2015) and Executive Committee (2010- );
- Australian Research Council (ARC) Assessor (2010-2015 )
- The Society of Korean Semantics, Journal of Korean Semantics Editorial Board (2009-13);
- International Association of Korean Language Education (IAKLE), Journal of Korean Language Education Editorial Board (2009- ); Public Relations Board (2007-09), Editing Board (2005-07) and Publication Board (2001-03);
- International Network for Korean Language and Culture, International Relations Board (2011-13), Public Relations Board (2007-11);
- Language Facts and Perspectives Editorial Board (2015 - )
- Teaching Korean as a Foreign Language Editorial Board (2016 - )
- Peer-review international and regional journals: Journal of Korean Language Education, Journal of Korean Semantics, The Language and Culture, Korean Journal of Bilingualism, Teaching Korean as a Foreign Language, Journal of the International Network for Korean language and Culture, International Review of Korean Studies.
- Applied Linguistics Association of Australia (ALAA) member;
- International Circle of Korean Linguistics (ICKL) member;
- National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI, Australia) Translator;
- 2010 Marquis Who's Who in the World biographee;
- Fellow, Korea Foundation Field Research Fellowship (Nov- Dec, 2009)
- Fellow, Academy of Korean Studies Visting Scholars Fellowship (Nov 2008-Jan 2009)
- Fellow, Korea Foundation Field Research Fellowship (March - May 2002)
ARTS3660/3661 - Advanced Korean A/B
ARTS3663 - Professional Korean
ARTS3664 - Korean Translation
ARTS3665 - Korean Interpreting
ARTS3667 - Insights into Korean as a Second Language
School BA Honours team teaching - Action Research
KORE5007 - Insights into the Korean Language
KORE5008 - Korean Teaching Practicum
MA by Research and PhD program supervision (Applied and Educational Linguistics / Korean Linguistics)