Funds Management, Financial Markets and Institutions, Wealth Management, and Investor Behavior.
Fields of Research (FoR)Banking, Finance and Investment
Jerry Parwada is a Professor of Finance at UNSW Business School, Sydney, Australia. He served as Head of School - Banking and Finance at UNSW from 2011-2017 and as Director of Academic Strategy 2019-2022. He is a visiting professor at University of Cape Town and has previously held visiting scholar positions at New York University, Fordham University and University of Mannheim. Jerry's research specializes in investment management and...view more
Jerry Parwada is a Professor of Finance at UNSW Business School, Sydney, Australia. He served as Head of School - Banking and Finance at UNSW from 2011-2017 and as Director of Academic Strategy 2019-2022. He is a visiting professor at University of Cape Town and has previously held visiting scholar positions at New York University, Fordham University and University of Mannheim. Jerry's research specializes in investment management and financial markets and is published in world leading journals in his discipline. He has experience in investment banking and consulting to industry on issues relating to funds management, security valuation and market quality. A Graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, Jerry holds governance roles in Australia and abroad, including independent, non-executive directorships. He has been instrumental in the launch of the Adviser Ratings Licensee Rating system and is the Chair of its Rating Committee. He is a member of the FINSIA Industry Council for Institutional Markets. Jerry has served on the Credit Suisse Endowment Advisory Council and the Management Committee of the Capital Markets Cooperative Research Centre (now Rozetta Institute). He is a regular speaker at local and international industry and academic forums, and runs a volunteer network of experts for the development of early career and aspiring financial economics researchers in African countries.
- 2016-2022 Australian Research Council Linkage Grant ($169,000)
- 2015-2017 Global Risk Institute in Financial Services (GRI) (CAD$352,000)
- 2013-2015 Centre for International Financial Regulation ($160,000)
- 2010- Australian Stock Exchange - Capital Markets Cooperative Research Centre Corporate
- Governance Research Centre ($1,000,000)
- 2010-2011 Go8 Germany Joint Research Co-operation Scheme ($40,000)
- 2007 UNSW John Yu Fellowship to Europe ($6,000)
- 2007 UNSW, Early Career Research Grant ($10,000)
- 2006 Melbourne Centre for Financial Studies, Research Grant ($18,000)
Jerry was educated at St Ignatius College in Harare, Zimbabwe, obtained a Bachelor of Commerce (First Class Honours) degree from the National University of Science and Technology, Zimbabwe, a Master of Philosophy (Higher Education) degree from the University of New South Wales, as well as Master of Business Administration and Doctor of Philosophy degrees in Finance from Edith Cowan University. He has studied leadership at the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania and is a Graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
- 2007 Best Discussant Award, Financial Services Institute
- 2007 – Financial Services: Imports or Exports, New York
- 2007 UNSW Australian School of Business Non-Professorial Research Achievement Award
My Research Activities
Building on his core research area of investments and financial markets, Jerry conducts both academic- and industry-oriented research. His research has attracted more than $1.5 million in funding from major grant making bodies such as the Australian Research Council as well as private entities like the Australian Securities Exchange and the Global Risk Institute in Financial Services (Canada). In the area of policy-making, Jerry has contributed to major commissions of inquiry, including the Commonwealth of Australia, Interim Report of the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry; the Commonwealth of Australia, Financial System Inquiry; and the Federal Treasury, Future of Financial Advice (FOFA) legislation.
In his contributions to academia, Jerry is a member of the editorial boards of the following journals: Journal of Financial Stability (Elsevier); Investment Analysts Journal (Taylor & Francis) and Review of Business (St Johns University, New York). He is a regular member of leading international conference committees, including the European Finance Association and Society of Financial Studies.
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
All areas of investments and financial markets in both developed and emerging markets. I supervise academic and industry oriented research students at all levels.
Raphael Jonghyeon Park (UNSW Business School)
Martin Bakundana (Rozetta Institute)
Qobolwakhe Dube (Rozetta Institute)
Primrose Gurira (Midlands State University)
CONTRIBUTIONS TO COMMISSIONS/INQUIRIES
- Commonwealth of Australia, Interim Report of the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking,
- Superannuation and Financial Services Industry, Written Submission, October 2018.
- Commonwealth of Australia, Financial System Inquiry, Written Submission, August 2014.
- Federal Treasury, Draft legislation, draft regulations and explanatory material pertaining to amendments to
- the Future of Financial Advice (FOFA) legislation, Written Submission, February 2014.
- 2019- Chair, External and Internal Ratings Committees, Adviser Ratings
- 2014- Finsia – Institutional Markets Industry Council
- 2012- Credit Suisse Endowment Advisory Council
SELECTED MEDIA COVERAGE
- Bargain hunters drive market into black (Sydney Morning Herald, August 10, 2011)
- The Governance Effect of the Media’s News Dissemination Role (Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance, March 30, 2015)
- Why Entrepreneurs Bring Benefits to Corporate Boards (Wall Street Journal, May 1, 2016)
- The Hidden Way Our Politics Skew Our Investing Choices (Wall Street Journal, August 7, 2016)
- New quality of financial advice rating system to probe licensee governance (Australian Financial Review, July 30,2018)
- New financial adviser competency rankings out soon (Australian Financial Review, February 28, 2019)
- Zimbabwe Establishes Monetary Policy Committee in Stability Bid (Bloomberg, September 11, 2019)
- FINS2643 Wealth Management
- FINS3630 Bank Financial Management
- FINS5512 Financial Markets and Institutions
- MFIN6205 Financial Risk Management for Financial Institutions