The University of New South Wales (UNSW) seeks members for the existing and newly established UNSW Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC).
- Researcher Member: Individuals with current experience and relevant research experience in any of the following fields: research conducted overseas, population health, judicial system and corrective services research, education, medical sciences, psychology and psychiatry, optometry, ophthalmology, clinical trials, epidemiology, sociology, disability research, substance abuse research, mental health research, physiology, genetics and genomics or biotechnology research.
- Medical Professionals, Nurses, Clinicians, Pharmacists or Allied Health Care Members: Individuals with knowledge of and current experience in the clinical, medical, counselling, or treatment of people.
- Indigenous Members: Each HREC seeks Indigenous representatives to guide and advise on the ethical review of research relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People.
- Attendance at monthly HREC meetings via Microsoft Teams, which commence at 1 pm and can continue until 5 pm. The number of applications to be reviewed varies between 13-15 submissions per committee per month.
- Complete pre-reading and insert preview comments into the meeting papers before the monthly meeting. Preparation for the meeting usually takes between 5 and 10 hours a month.
- As the first or secondary reviewer, be the spokesperson for 2-3 human research proposals per month and assess whether the proposal meets the key ethical principles set out in the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research.
- Contribute to ethical review procedural changes by participating in consultation feedback processes.
- Attend and contribute to membership training sessions.
Frequency of Meetings
- HREC A meets on the first Tuesday of the month
- HREC B meets on the second Tuesday of the month
- HREC C will meet on the third Tuesday of the month once the recruitment of members has been completed.
Expression of Interest Submission
Submissions can be made online via the following link. Submissions will remain open until all positions have been filled:
• HREC Member Expression of Interest form
Individuals from the following faculties and schools are encouraged to express interest in becoming members.
Contact the Human Research Manager, Leonne Thompson, for further information:
• E: firstname.lastname@example.org
• P: 02 9385 6222
• Teams: Leonne Thompson
Submissions of Expressions of Interests:
The University of New South Wales (UNSW) seeks individuals from the following faculties, schools or affiliated research institutes to serve as Human Research Advisory Panels:
- Faculty of Medicine and Health to join HREAP D
- Faculty of Engineering to join HREAP H
- Faculty of Science to joint HREAP H
An expression of interest (EOI) must be submitted to the Human Research Manager by email to email@example.com. The EOI must include a cover letter indicating the attributes you could bring to the panel, a short resume and an endorsement from your Head of School or Department.