Fields of Research (FoR)Geriatrics and Gerontology, Central Nervous System, Aged Health Care, Medicine, Nursing and Health Curriculum and Pedagogy, Pharmacology and Pharmaceutical Sciences not elsewhere classified
Associate Professor Danielle Ní Chróinín is a Consultant Geriatrician and Director of aged care research, Liverpool Hospital, and a Conjoint Associate Professor with UNSW Medicine. She holds dual fellowships in Geriatric and General Medicine, with >15 years experience in clinical and academic geriatric medicine, here and in Ireland. She completed her doctoral thesis (2014), and present research focusses on collaborative multidisciplinary...view more
Associate Professor Danielle Ní Chróinín is a Consultant Geriatrician and Director of aged care research, Liverpool Hospital, and a Conjoint Associate Professor with UNSW Medicine. She holds dual fellowships in Geriatric and General Medicine, with >15 years experience in clinical and academic geriatric medicine, here and in Ireland. She completed her doctoral thesis (2014), and present research focusses on collaborative multidisciplinary research focusing on patient-centred care of older persons, including those from priority populations. She has extensive experience in the conduct of clinical research, with 50 scientific peer-reviewed publications, first author on 23, senior author on 8; H-index 20 (17 on Scopus), i10 index 25 (Google Scholar). Multiple (>85) presentations at national/international scientific conferences, and an invited speaker at scientific conferences here/abroad. Danielle has an active interest in teaching and supervision, including supervising ILP/honours students and supporting early career researchers in the geriatric research sphere.
MB BCh BAO (1st Hons), BMedSc, MD (Research), MRCPI, FRACP (Dual: Geriatric and General Medicine)
Professional memberships of ANZAHPE and ANZSGM.
Executive member, Age ad Ageing Clinical Academic group, SPHERE and Co-chair of the Models of Care working Group, Age and Ageing Clinical Academic Group, SPHERE.
Co-Chair of Liverpool Hospital Falls Prevention and Management Committee.
Co-lead of the Orthogeriatric Clinical Practice Guide and Models of Care committee, NSW ACI.
- U.C.C. Entrance Scholarship on basis of Leaving Certificate Results, 1999
- Bord na Gaeilge / University College Cork Scoláireachtaí Gaeltachta (Irish Scholarships), 2000, 2002
- College Scholar award on basis of end-of-year exams, 2002, 2003, 2004
- U.C.C. James M. O’Donovan Prize in Medicine, 2004 (Highest Score in class)
- National Universities of Ireland Henry Hutchinson Stewart Scholarship in Medicine, 2004 (Highest score amongst all medical graduates at National Universities of Ireland)
- National Universities of Ireland Henry Hutchinson Stewart Commendation in Paediatrics, 2004 (Fourth amongst National Universities of Ireland)
- Clinical Dean’s Award for teaching (South Western Sydney Clinical School, UNSW Sydney), 2018
My Research Activities
Summary of Research Publications and Presentations
- Over 50 research papers and research letter publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals, of which first author on 23, senior author on 8, and several papers currently in process of submission to peer-reviewed journals.
- Over 85 presentations at national/international scientific conferences, and an invited speaker here and abroad.
- Current work includes research focussing on improving care of older people with hip fracture, the care of people from priority populations especially in relation to dementia care, and improving end of life care for frailer older patients.
- H-index of 20 (17 on Scopus) and i10 index of 25 (Google Scholar).
RTO: 2 periods of maternity leave totalling 18 months since 2016.
1) Research Papers & Research Letter Publications
- The Effect of Pre-thickened Fluids on Nutritional and Health Parameters in Older Patients with Swallow Deficits. McCormick, Stafford KM, Saqib G, D Ní Chróinín, Power D. Age Ageing 2008; 37: 714-715 IF 4.11, cited by 6
- An Australian Immigrant of the Arachnid Variety?- a Case Report. D Ní Chróinín, F Cummins. Eur J Emerg Med. 2009; 16(3): 159-162 IF 1.73, cited by 1
- The impact of nutritional supplementation on functional outcome- combination with physical exercise may prove the winning formula. D Ní Chróinín, H O’Brien, M Stafford, D Power. JAGS, May 2010; 58(7): 1396-8 IF 4.16, cited by 1
- Death in Long-Term Care Facilities: Attitudes and Reactions of Patients and Staff. A Qualitative Study. D Ní Chróinín, et al. European Geriatric Medicine 2011; 2(1): 56-59 IF 1.17, cited by 2
- Patient Understanding of Discharge Diagnoses: Prevalence and Predictors. D Ní Chróinín et al. European Geriatric Medicine 2011; 2(1): 74-78 IF 1.17, cited by 2
- Improved late survival and disability after stroke with therapeutic anticoagulation for atrial fibrillation: a population study. N Hannon, E Callaly, A Moore, D Ní Chróinín et al. Stroke 2011; 42(9): 2503-8 IF 6.24, cited by 24
- Association Between Acute Statin Therapy, Survival, and Improved Functional Outcome After Ischemic Stroke. The North Dublin Population Stroke Study. D Ní Chróinín et al. Stroke 2011; 42: 1021-1029 IF 6.24, cited by 64
- Response to letter by Reeves Regarding Article “Association Between Acute Statin Therapy, Survival, and Improved
- Functional Outcome After Ischemic Stroke. The North Dublin Population Stroke Study.” D Ní Chróinín, PJ Kelly. Stroke 2011: 42; e552 IF 6.24, cited by 0
- Crack-ing the Case: A Patient with Persistent Delirium due to Body Packing with Cocaine. D Ní Chróinín, S Gaine. Irish Med J 2012; 105 (4) IF 0.09, cited by 4
- Medicine in the community: a unique partnership. D Ní Chróinín, L Kyne, j duggan, J Last, A Molphy, D O’Shea, M Steele, G Bury, W Cullen. The Clinical Teacher 2012; 9: 158-163. IF 0.42, cited by 9
- Stroke recurrence within the time window recommended for carotid endarterectomy. M Marnane, D Ní Chróinín et al. Neurology 2011; 77:738-43 IF 7.61, cited by 37
- Incidence, event rates, and early outcome of stroke in Dublin, Ireland- the North Dublin Population Stroke Study. PJ Kelly, G Crispino, Ó Sheehan, L Kelly, M Marnane, N Hannon, D Ní Chróinín et al. Stroke 2012; 43: 2042-2047 IF 6.24, cited by 37
- An Unusual Cause of Acute Delirium in a Septuagenarian with Alzheimer’s Dementia. D Ní Chróinín et al. Eur Geriatr Med 2012: 3(6): 378-79 IF 1.17, cited by 1
- Acute Statin Therapy and Outcome Following Ischaemic Stroke: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Observational studies and Randomised trials. D Ní Chróinín et al. Stroke 2013; 44: 448-456 IF 6.24, cited by 123
- Awareness of Osteoporosis, Risk and Protective Factors, and Own Diagnostic Status: A Cross-sectional Study. D Ní
Chróinín et al. Arch Osteoporosis 2013; 8: 117 IF 2.38, cited by 3
- Sudden Headache and Third Nerve Palsy: Thinking Outside the Subarachnoid Haemorrhage Box D Ní Chróinín et al. Age Ageing 2013; 42: 810-2 IF 4.11, cited by 1
- Would You Be a Geriatrician? Student Attitudes to a Career in Geriatric Medicine. D Ní Chróinín et al. Age Ageing 2013; 42(5): 654-7 IF 4.11, cited by 2
- Serum lipids associated with inflammation-related PET-FDG uptake in symptomatic carotid plaque. D Ní Chróinín et al. Neurology 2014; 82: 1-7 IF 8.06, cited by 1
- Acute Hospital, Community, and Indirect Costs of Stroke Associated With Atrial Fibrillation. N Hannon, L Daly, S Murphy, S Smith, D Hayden, D Ní Chróinín et al. Stroke 2014; 45: 3670-3674 IF 6.24, cited by 21
- Antithrombotic treatment at onset of stroke with atrial fibrillation, functional outcome, and fatality- a systematic review. N Hannon, M Arsava, H Audebert, H Ay, M Crowe, D Ní Chróinín et al. Int J Stroke 2014; 10(6): 806-14 IF 4.46, cited by 3
- Film Star, A Reflection. D Ní Chróinín. The Clinical Teacher 2014; 11: 565 IF 0.42, cited by 0
- Factors Influencing Deprescribing Habits Amongst Geriatricians. D Ní Chróinín et al. Age Ageing 2015; 44(4): 704-8 IF 4.51, 30 cites
- Falls and Fractures Two Years after Acute Stroke in a Population-Based Study: The North Dublin Population Stroke Study. E Callaly, D Ní Chróinín et al. Age Ageing 2015; 44:882-886 IF 4.51, 23 cites
- Rates and Determinants of 5-year Outcomes after Atrial Fibrillation-Related Stroke: A Population Study. Hayden DT, Hannon N, Callaly E, D Ní Chróinín et al. Stroke 2015; 46:3488-9 . IF 6.24, 28 cites
- Rates, Predictors and Outcomes of early and late Recurrence after Stroke: The North Dublin Population Stroke Study. E Callaly, D Ní Chróinín et al. Stroke 2016; 47: 244-6 IF 6.24, 22 cites
- Antibiotic Antics – Audit of Compliance with Antibiotic Therapeutic Guidelines in Older Patients. D Xiao… D Ní Chróinín. J Pharm Pract Res 2016; 46(1): 22-27 IF - , 1 cite
- Suboptimal Bone Protection in Geriatric Inpatients and Effect of a Simple Educational and Mnemonic Strategy. TA Scott, A Beveridge, D Ní Chróinín. Australas J Ageing 2016; 35: E36-9 IF 1.31, 1 cite
- Oral Health Status is Associated with Common Medical Comorbidities in Older Hospital In-Patients. D Ní Chróinín… P Foltyn. J Am Geriatr Soc 2016; 64: 1696-700 IF 4.39, 14 cites
- Case Study: Diagnosing Cirrhotic Sequelae. D Ní Chróinín et al. Australian Doctor 2016; Jan: 14-15, IF -, 0 cites
- Potentially Inappropriate Medications in Older Hospitalisation In-Patients: Prevalence, Contribution to Hospital Admiss-ion, and Documentation of Rationale for Continuation. D Ní Chróinín et al. Australas J Ageing 2016; 35(4): 262-265 IF 1.31, 16 cites
- Why do TIA patients have higher early stroke recurrence risk than those with ischaemic stroke? A population study. L Akijian, D Ní Chróinín et al. Int J Stroke 2017; 12(1): 96-104 IF 4.41, 2 cites
- Renal dysfunction and chronic kidney disease in ischemic stroke and transient ischemic attack: A population-based study. D Hayden, C McCarthy, L Akijian, E Callaly, D Ní Chróinín et al. Int J Stroke 2017; 12(7): 761-769 IF 4.41, 6 cites
- Predictors on Admission of Functional Decline among Older Patients Hospitalised for Acute Care: A Prospective Observ-ational Study. D Basic, D Ní Chróinín, D Conforti, C Shanley. Australas J Ageing 2017; 36(4): E57-63 IF 1.31, 8 cites
- Functional Deterioration in the Month Before Hospitalisation is Associated with In-Hospital Functional Decline: an obser-vational study. D Ní Chróinín, D Basic, D Conforti, C Shanley. Eur Geriatr Med 2018; 9(3): 321-327 IF 1.33, 1 cite
- Truth disclosure on prognosis: is it ethical not to communicate personalized risk of death? M Cardona…D Ní Chróinín. Int J Clin Pract 2018: e13222. doi: 10.1111/ijcp.13222. IF 2.61 5 cites
- Health Services utilization amongst older persons during the last year of life: A population based study. D Ní Chróinín et al. BMC Geriatrics 18(1): 317 IF 3.02, 5 cites
- Reducing delirium after hip fracture surgery with a perioperative multidisciplinary care bundle. A Chuan… D Ní Chróinín. Anaesthesia 2020 Jan;75(1):63-71. IF 5.88, 3 cites
- A practical approach: Using a Prospective Multidisciplinary Observational Cohort Study to Investigate Functional Out-comes in Older Hospital In-Patients. D Ní Chróinín. Sage Research Methods Cases 2020. Doi: 10.4135/9781529744774
- Letter to the editor: Doctor-Speak. D Ní Chróinín. Focus on Health Profess Ed 2020; 21(2): 61-62 IF –, 0 cites
- Geriatric Outreach to Residential Aged Care: Embracing A Dynamic Approach in the COVID-19 Era. D Ní Chróinín, A Patil. Australas J Ageing (in press 2020) IF 1.31
- Frailty, delirium and hospital mortality of older adults admitted to intensive care: the Delirium (Deli) in ICU study. D Sanchez, KBrennan, M El Safye, SA Shunker, T Bogdanoski, S Hedges, YC Hou, JM Lynch, L Hunt, E Alexandrou, M Saxena, S Abel, R Lakshmanan, D Bhonagiri, MJ Parr, A Aneman, D Ní Chróinín, KM Hillman, SA Frost. Critical Care 2020 IF 7.44
- It is feasible to flag 'near end-of-life' status in older patients from routine general practice data. Cardona M, Williamson M, Jones M, Ní Chróinín D, Gullotta J, Hillman K, Lewis ET, Morgan M. Aust J Gen Pract. 2020 Nov;49(11):752-758. doi: 10.31128/AJGP-08-19-5033.
- . A Sami, D Ní Chróinín. Arch Intern Med Res 2021; 4(1): 21-30 doi 10.26502/aimr.0051 IF -
- Assistance provided in daily tasks and difficulty experienced by caregivers for people living with dementia. C Amato, G, Burridge, D Basic, D Huynh, E Gibbons, D Ní Chróinín, KPY Liu. Aust Occup Ther J. 2021 Feb 2 (online first) IF 0.8
- Delirium Reduction by Analgesia Management in Hip Fracture surgery (DRAM-HF): Exploration of perceived facilitators and barriers. Hunter CL, Ni Chroinin D, McEvoy L, Chuan A. Australas J Ageing. 2021 Aug 16. doi: 10.1111/ajag.12991.
- Older trauma patients are at high risk of delirium, especially those with underlying dementia or baseline frailty. Ní Chróinín D, Francis N, Wong P, Kim YD, Nham S, D'Amours S. Trauma Surg Acute Care Open. 2021 Apr 27;6(1):e000639. doi: 10.1136/tsaco-2020-000639.
- Exploring hyponatremia in older hospital in-patients: management, association with falls, and other adverse outcomes. Valle J, Beveridge A, Ní Chróinín D. Ageing Health Research 2021
- Concerns and potential improvements in end-of-life care from the perspectives of older patients and informal caregivers: A scoping review. Motamedi M, Brandenburg C, Bakhit M, Michaleff ZA, Albarqouni L, Clark J, Ooi M, Bahudin D, Ní Chróinín D, Cardona M. BMC Geriatrics 2021
- The Feasibility of Deriving the Electronic Frailty Index from Australian General Practice Records. Lewis ET, Williamson M, Lewis LP, Ní Chróinín D, Dent E, Ticehurst M, Peters R, Macniven R, Cardona M. Clin Interv Aging. 2022 Nov 3;17:1589-1598.
- Understanding of advance care planning in primary care: a gap analysis. Chow J, Harley A, Chroinin DN, Kohler F, Harlum J, Jobburn K, Keech P, Williams R, Fraser S, Hillman K. Aust J Prim Health. 2022 Aug;28(4):344-349.
- Does delirium prevention reduce risk of in-patient falls among older adults? A systematic review and trial sequential meta-analysis. He S, Rolls K, Stott K, Shekhar R, Vueti V, Flowers K, Moseley M, Shepherd B, Mayahi-Neysi M, Chasle B, Warner B, Ni Chroinin D, Frost SA. Australas J Ageing. 2022 Sep;41(3):396-406.
- Identifying the needs of our older community-based patients in the COVID era: A telephone survey. Ní Chróinín D, Hunter CL, Shaw-Jones M, Duruchukwu E, Huang F, Ngov A, Wang A, Yu A, Shé ÉN.Aging Health Res. 2022 Jun;2(2):100073.
- The burden of peripheral intravenous catheters in older hospital inpatients: A national cross-sectional study part of the ONE MILLION GLOBAL PERIPHERAL INTRAVENOUS CATHETERS COLLABORATION. Ní Chróinín D, Ray-Barruel G, Carr PJ, Frost SA, Rickard CM, Mifflin N, McManus C, Alexandrou E. Australas J Ageing. 2022 Apr 5. doi: 10.1111/ajag.13068.
- Frailty and risk of subsequent fracture among older adults presenting to hospital with a minimal trauma fracture. Mai H, Mc Evoy L, Wilson C, Marov L, Kelly A, Haddad CE, Ní Chróinín D, Hassett G, Frost SA. Osteoporos Int. 2023, 34(2), 399–404.
- Frailty among older surgical patients and risk of hospital acquired adverse events: The South-Western Sydney frailty and nurse sensitive indicators study. McEvoy L, Richter M, Chen T, Le A, Wilson C, Marov L, Gujraz P, Gray L, Mayahi-Neysi M, Francis N, Mai HT, He S, Chróinín DN, Frost SA. J Clin Nurs. 2023; 32(3-4), 477–484
- Delirium in the Intensive Care Unit and its Importance in the Post-Operative Context: A Review. Ní Chróinín D, Alexandrou E, Frost SA. Frontiers in Medicine 2023;10:1071854
- Post-operative delirium in the patient with hip fracture: The journey from hospital arrival to discharge. Ní Chróinín D, Chuan A. Front Med. 2022; 9: 1080253.
- Residential Aged Care Facilities During the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Staff Survey on Impact and Resources. Ní Chróinín D, Anthony A, Acosta RM, Thambyaiyah D, Hasan N, Patil A. J Geront Nurs 2023;49(3):13–17
- Higher Levels of Multimorbidity are Associated with Increased Risk of Readmission for Older People during Post Acute Transitional Care. Griffin O, Li T, Beveridge A, Ní Chróinín D. European Geriatric Medicine 2023;14(3):575-582
- In-hospital outcomes among older medical inpatients admitted to aged care wards after activation of a 2-tier rapid response system. Basic D, Ní Chróinín D. BMC Geriatr. 2023;23(1):425
- Poorer Patient Outcomes in Patients with Early Post-Operative Delirium: 120-day follow-up of the Delirium Reduction by Analgesia Management in Hip Fracture (DRAM-HF) study. Hunter CL, Ní Chróinín D, McEvoy L, Chuan A. In press: Australas J Ageing 2023
- Does case-finding for admission to Aged Care Rapid Investigation and Assessment Unit for older patients improve hospital length of stay? Balu S, Khoo A, Hunter CL, Ní Chróinín D. In press: Int J Integ Care 2023.