I lead nuclear engineering at UNSW.
I am recruiting PhD Students in the following areas:
- Accelerated nuclear fuel qualification by in situ neutron diffraction
- Blockchain tools for nuclear safeguards
- Energy systems
- Energy futures analysis.
Please get in touch. Scholarships are available for top students.
For an overview of our research group please see here.
MY RESEARCH EXPERTISE
- Nuclear fuel technology
- Nuclear engineering design
- Metallurgy - particularly alloys in uranium, titanium and zirconium systems
- Materials for fusion reactors and Generation-IV fission reactors
- Virtual reality, human-machine interfaces and remote handling
- Nuclear safeguards and nuclear materials accounting systems
- Neutron transport, criticality and neutron/gamma shielding simulation
- In-situ diffraction characterisation (neutron, synchrotron radiation) for phase and texture analysis including radioactive or fissile samples
- Materials testing
- Fuel cycle simulation, burn-up analysis, activation/depletion calculations
- Virtual reality software and hardware
- Teaching methods, blended learning, and online course design
RELEVANT INDUSTRY SECTORS
Nuclear engineers in Australia work in vital industry, government and research.
- Nuclear medicine
- Uranium mining
- Radiation safety
- Safety critical systems
- Nuclear non-proliferation and nuclear safeguards
- Nuclear regulatory agencies
- Nuclear engineering education and training
Fields of Research (FoR)Nuclear Engineering (incl. Fuel Enrichment and Waste Processing and Storage), Metals and Alloy Materials, Mineralogy and Crystallography, Condensed Matter Physics, Synchrotrons; Accelerators; Instruments and Techniques, Radiation and Matter, Energy Generation, Conversion and Storage Engineering, Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety, Performance Evaluation; Testing and Simulation of Reliability, Virtual Reality and Related Simulation, Design Innovation
I am a nuclear materials engineer in the School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, UNSW Sydney. I obtained my PhD in materials science in 2010, at the Chinese Academy of Science Institute of Metal Research and I previously studied Mechanical Design, Materials and Manufacture at the University of Nottingham, UK. I apply fundamental knowledge of materials to industrial problems in nuclear and manufacturing engineering. I have...view more
I am a nuclear materials engineer in the School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, UNSW Sydney. I obtained my PhD in materials science in 2010, at the Chinese Academy of Science Institute of Metal Research and I previously studied Mechanical Design, Materials and Manufacture at the University of Nottingham, UK. I apply fundamental knowledge of materials to industrial problems in nuclear and manufacturing engineering. I have researched manufacture and repair technology in the gas turbine power industry. At the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation, I designed, then managed the construction and commissioning of a hot cell facility for nuclear materials research and radioactive materials testing. I also designed, and performed engineering analysis of, nuclear materials testing facilities that are now part of the Open-Pool Australian Light-water Reactor.
Nuclear energy allows human development in a carbon constrained energy economy, while providing our best chance of preserving the Earth's biodiversity under future climatic conditions influenced by global warming. At UNSW Sydney, I research new materials and technology that enhance the safe and sustainable deployment of nuclear energy. This includes my original field of materials science, plus essentially human focused research such as virtual reality tools for remote handling and blockchain (shared ledger) systems for nuclear materials tracking. I teach courses on the UNSW MEng.Sci in nuclear engineering and I contribute to space engineering research.
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
Materials science & engineering, nuclear safeguards, nuclear materials, nuclear engineering, project management.
Matthew Brand, Dillon Frost, Vidur Tuli, Tina Baradaran, Melody Ranger, Sercan Cetinkaya, Hasliza Omer
Jiatu Liu, Jennifer Stansby
ENGG9741 Introduction to Nuclear Engineering
GSOE9820 Engineering Project Management
ENGG9744 Nuclear Safety, Security and Safeguards
ENGG9742 Reactor Physics for Engineers
MMAN2130 Design and Manufacture
ELEC4122 Strategic Leadership and Ethics