Field of Research (FoR)
Heriyanto graduated from the University of New South Wales in April 2019, completing his Ph.D. study in Material science and engineering. Post-graduation, Heriyanto works at SMaRT centre as Microfactory engineer/ researcher. His primary research focuses on innovating, designing, and manufacturing various green ceramics composite slabs by incorporating a range of waste materials. His achievements are reflected from several publications...view more
Heriyanto graduated from the University of New South Wales in April 2019, completing his Ph.D. study in Material science and engineering. Post-graduation, Heriyanto works at SMaRT centre as Microfactory engineer/ researcher. His primary research focuses on innovating, designing, and manufacturing various green ceramics composite slabs by incorporating a range of waste materials. His achievements are reflected from several publications submitted in leading journals, and 2 product patents as well as working together with SMaRT Micro factory team to secure funding from NSW physical fund. Over the past year, his main focus has been on expanding his academic research efforts and working with SMaRT micro-factory team to further use and upscale the novel composite products as furniture and tiles for commercial applications.
SMaRT Microfactorie - NSW physical science fund 2019
- 3 years of Ph.D. research experience in advanced composite materials.
- 2 years of working experience as a technical engineer/ researcher at SMaRT micro-factory, UNSW.
- Strong innovation skill reflected from an invention of 10+ novel composite products, made from complex non-recyclable wastes.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills with a broad interdisciplinary educational background in the recycling sector, metallurgy, and material science.
- First author of 5 publications in the journal of cleaner production (Impact factor: 7.246), 2 product patents, and 1 grant.
- Proficient in laboratory and industrial machineries, analytical instruments, and a range of computer programs ( i.e. Xray Diffractometers (XRD), Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM), Energy Dispersive X-ray Spectroscopy (EDS), Thermogravimetric analysis (TGA), optical microscope, Gas chromatography-mass spectroscopy (GCMS), DSC, FTIR, Injection molding, hotpress, jaw crusher, granulator/ Shredder, volume gas pycnometer, INSTRON 5566, INSTRON 5982, Horizontal tube furnace, BET, Ring mill, Knife mill, Cryomill, CSEM Tribometer, CSM Macro scratch tester, diamond saw, C-thermal conductivity machine, ranges of woodworking machineries ( Band saw, table saw, drill press, plunge saw, sander ,etc), Xpert Highscore plus, SketchUp, Microsoft office, etc.
SMaRT Microfactorie - Australian Engineering Excellence Award (AEEA) 2020 finalist
My Research Activities
- Designing and manufacturing various novel composite materials by incorporating a range of waste materials (glass, plastics, textile, spent coffee, waste cups, shell-based mariculture waste, stone off-cut, wood dust, etc) to be used as furniture, and tiles.
- Perform analytical and mechanical testing on the composite products based on ASTM and Australian standards.
- Create and adjust a suitable formulation and experimental conditions to improve the mechanical properties of various composite products.
- Design manufacturing process line for various composite products.
- Compile laboratory test data and deliver reports.
- Provide technical support and lab demo to students on hot press, shredder, BET, injection moulding and other machinery.
- Conduct multiple high-temperature experiments on waste textile.
- Experimentation on developing and micro-manufacturing thermosetting plastic from waste.