I am an accredited exercise scientist whose work focuses broadly on the effects of resistance training. I have two streams of research, clinically I focus on the use of exercise following cancer and its treatments. Secondly I focus on maximising the effect of resistance training in healthy populations with a specific interest in sex-differences and female physiology. I am also currently working on exercise microbiome research. My research...view more
I am an accredited exercise scientist whose work focuses broadly on the effects of resistance training. I have two streams of research, clinically I focus on the use of exercise following cancer and its treatments. Secondly I focus on maximising the effect of resistance training in healthy populations with a specific interest in sex-differences and female physiology. I am also currently working on exercise microbiome research. My research has been widely publiscised including being featured on the number one international sport brand 'Nike's website. In addition to research, I am very passionate about teaching and education in the exercise science field. I have studied at 4 and taught at 5 different Universities, giving me a breadth of knowledge with different teaching and learning styles.
Hackett D, O’Connor H, Slater G, Mavros Y, Clarke J, Keogh J, McClellan C, Hagstrom AD. Physique traits, muscle performance, and healthy status of natural body builders and powerlifters. Bond University CRN AESS grant scheme (2015), $28,728.
PhD (Exercise Physiology), University of Western Sydney
MSc (Exercise Rehabilitation), University of Auckland
PgDipSci (Exercise Rehabilitation), University of Auckland
BSc (Sports Science, University of Auckland
Recipient of the Faculty of Medicine research community engagement award (2021)
Recipient of the School of Health Sciences research paper of the year award (2021)
My Research Activities
- Hansford HJ, Wewege MA, Cashin AG, Hagstrom AD, Clifford BK, McAuley J, Jones MD. If exercise is medicine, why don’t we know the dose? An overview of systematic reviews assessing reporting quality of exercise interventions in health and disease. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2022 Feb 14.
- Clifford B, Koizumi S, Wewege MA, Leake HB, Ha L, Macdonald E, Fairman CM, Hagstrom AD*. The effect of resistance training on body composition during and after cancer treatment: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Sports Medicine. 2021 Dec;51(12):2527-46.
- Wewege MA, Desai I, Honey C, Coorie B, Jones MD, Clifford BK, Leake HB, Hagstrom AD*. The Effect of Resistance Training in Healthy Adults on Body Fat Percentage, Fat Mass and Visceral Fat: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Sports Medicine. 2021 Sep 18:1-4.
- Dev PK, Gray AJ, Scott-Hamilton J, Hagstrom AD, Murphy AJ, Denham J. Co-expression analysis identifies networks of miRNAs implicated in biological ageing and modulated by short-term interval training. Mechanisms of Ageing and Development. 2021 Aug 5:111552.
- Hagstrom AD, Yuwono N, Warton K, Ford CE. Sex bias in cohorts included in sports medicine research. Sports Medicine. January 2021. Published online ahead of print.
- Jones MD, Wewege MA, Hackett DA, Keogh JWL, Hagstrom AD*. Sex Differences in Adaptations in Muscle Strength and Size Following Resistance Training in Older Adults: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Sports Medicine. 2021(51), 503–517.
- Wewege MA, Hagstrom AD, Jones MD. On “Elastic Resistance Training Produces Benefits Equivalent to Conventional Resistance Training in People With Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.” de Lima FF, Cavalheri V, Silva BSA, Grigoletto I, Uzeloto JS, Ramos D, Camillo CA, Ramos, EMC. Phys Ther. 2020; 100: 1891–1905. Physical Therapy. 2021 Jan;101(1):pzaa185.
- Hackett DA, Mitchell L, Clarke JL, Hagstrom AD, Keogh J, McLellan C. Relationship between echocardiogram and physical parameters in experienced resistance trainers: a pilot study. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. December 2020.
- Wewege MA, Bagg MK, Jones MD, McAuley JH. Analgesic medicines for adults with low back pain: protocol for a systematic review and network meta-analysis. Systematic reviews. 2020 Dec;9(1):1-0. (Listed as one of the ANiMALIA investigators)
- Hackett DA, Wilson GC, Mitchell L, Haghighi MM, Clarke JL, Mavros Y, O’Connor H, Hagstrom AD, Slater GJ, Keogh J, McLellan C. Effect of Training Phase on Physical and Physiological Parameters of Male Powerlifters. Sports. 2020 Aug;8(8):106.
- Hagstrom AD*, Marshall PW, Halaki M, Hackett DA. The Effect of Resistance Training in Women on Dynamic Strength and Muscular Hypertrophy: A Systematic Review with Meta-analysis. Sports Medicine. 2020 Jun;50(6):1075-93.
- Hagstrom AD, Shorter KA, Marshall PW. Changes in unilateral upper limb muscular strength and EMG activity following a 16 week strength training intervention survivors of breast cancer. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2019 33;1; 225-233
- Metcalf E, Hagstrom AD, Marshall PW. Trained females exhibit less fatigability than trained males after a heavy knee extensor resistance exercise session. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 2019. 119;1;181-190.
- Hagstrom AD & Shorter KA. Creatine kinase, neuromuscular fatigue and the contact codes of football: A Systematic review and meta-analysis of pre and post-match differences. European Journal of Sports Science. 2018. 18(9), 1234-1244.
- Hagstrom AD & Denham J. microRNAs in High and Low Responders to Resistance Training in Breast Cancer Survivors. International journal of sports medicine. 2018: 39; 1-7
- Denham J, Gray A, Scott-Hamilton J, Hagstrom AD. Sprint interval training decreases circulating MicroRNAs important for muscle development. International journal of sports medicine. 2018 Jan;39(01):67-72.
- Hagstrom AD, Denham J. The Effect of Resistance Training on Telomere Length in Women Recovering from Breast Cancer. Journal of Functional Morphology and Kinesiology. 2018 Jan 26;3(1):9.
- Denham J, Gray AJ, Scott‐Hamilton J, Hagstrom AD, Murphy AJ. Small non‐coding RNA s are altered by short‐term sprint interval training in men. Physiological reports. 2018 Apr;6(7):e13653.
- Ezzy A, Hagstrom AD, Shorter K, Gray AJ. Anthropometric, Strength, Climbing and Training Characteristics that Predict Outdoor Rock Climbing Performance. The Journal of Australian Strength and Conditioning 2018; 26(4).
- Denham J, Scott-Hamilton J, Hagstrom AD, Gray AJ. Cycling Power Outputs Predict Functional Threshold Power And Maximum Oxygen Uptake. Journal of strength and conditioning research. 2017 Sep.
- Hackett D, Hagstrom AD. Effect of Overnight Fasted Exercise on Weight Loss and Body Composition: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Journal of Functional Morphology and Kinesiology. 2017 Nov 25;2(4):43.
- Hagstrom AD, Marshall PW, Lonsdale C, Papalia S, Cheema BS, Toben C, Baune BT, Singh MA, Green S. The effect of resistance training on markers of immune function and inflammation in previously sedentary women recovering from breast cancer: a randomized controlled trial. Breast cancer research and treatment. 2016 Feb 1;155(3):471-82.
- Hagstrom AD, Marshall PW, Lonsdale C, Cheema BS, Fiatarone Singh MA, Green S. Resistance training improves fatigue and quality of life in previously sedentary breast cancer survivors: a randomised controlled trial. European journal of cancer care. 2016 Sep;25(5):784-94.
- Marshall PW,McKee AD, Murphy BA. Impaired trunk and ankle stability in subjects with functional ankle instability. Medicine and science in sports and exercise. 2009 Aug;41(8):1549-57.
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
Exercise physiology with a special interest in all areas of Resistance training. Exercise oncology. Exercise and microbiome.
Honours, Masters and PhD students. Open to supervision.
Selected recent media engagement
My teams research has also featured on yahoo.com, msn.com, womenshealth.com, 7news.com, dailymail.co.uk, and many other wide reaching international news sources (print, electronic, and radio).