Fields of Research (FoR)Medical microbiology, Medical bacteriology, Clinical microbiology, Bacteriology, Biologically active molecules, Biomaterials
My research focuses on investigating the mechanisms of action of newly designed antimicrobial peptides and peptidomimetics. These new antimicrobials are able to kill many different types of microbes including bacteria, fungi, and viruses. I am particularly interested in how these new antimicrobials prevent microbes from colonizing surfaces. My research has applications for preventing the transmission of disease and reducing the incidence of...view more
My research focuses on investigating the mechanisms of action of newly designed antimicrobial peptides and peptidomimetics. These new antimicrobials are able to kill many different types of microbes including bacteria, fungi, and viruses. I am particularly interested in how these new antimicrobials prevent microbes from colonizing surfaces. My research has applications for preventing the transmission of disease and reducing the incidence of hospital-acquired infections.
Contract Research Grant (US$100,000)
PhD in Medical Microbiology ( University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia, 2020)
MPhil in Microbiology (Quaid-e-Azam University, Islamabad, Pakistan, 2013)
- Bridge and BridgeTech REDI Fellowship through MTP connects ($10000)
- Academic Research Excellence Research Award by School of Optometry and Vision Science UNSW
- Travel award from Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) virtual meeting (USA) ($2500)
- Best paper award from the school of Optom and Vision Science UNSW Sydney Australia ($1000)
- Science writing fellowship award from Faculty of Science, University of New South Wales Australia ($6000)
- Travel ward from International Society for Contact Lens Research (ISCLR meeting in (Singapore) ($5000)
- Travel Award from American Society for Microbiology (ASM meeting in Sans Francisco) ($2000)
- Travel award for World Life Science Conference Beijing, China ($3000)
- Cornea and Contact Lens Society of Australia (CCLSA) research award ($3500)
- Best abstract award in Molecular Microbiology Meeting by Australian Society for Microbiology ($500)
- Top Up Scholarship from School of Optometry and Vision Science UNSW ($28000)
- Teaching Fellowship award from School of Optometry and Vision Science UNSW.
- Ph.D Scholarship from University of New South Wales.
- Higher Education awards for FATA and Balochistan students by HEC Pakistan (0.25 milliom PKR).
- First class 1st position in M.Sc (Gold Medal) with 0.1 million PKR cash prize.
- Talent Farming Scholarship for M.Sc by Higher Education Commission (HEC) Pakistan (0.1 million PKR)
My Research Activities
- Activity and mechanism of action of antimicrobial peptides (natural and synthetic)
- Mechanism of action of surface-bound antimicrobial peptides and peptidomimetics
- Antimicrobial activity and mode of action of natural products (plants based)
- Anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal activity of disinfectants and biomedical devices
- Synergistic activity of multipurpose disinfecting solution and peptides mimics
- Development of drug resistance in planktonic and colonized bacteria
- Biofilms and their control strategies
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
Activity and mode of action of free and surface bound peptoides and peptiodimimetics
Manjulatha Sara-PhD- Co-supervisor
American Society for Microbiology
Australian Society for Microbiology
Cornea and Contact Lens Society of Australia