Fall risk and fall prevention in older people.
Fields of Research (FoR)Human Movement and Sports Science, Neurosciences, Public Health and Health Services
I obtained a PhD in human biomechanics (UWA) and undertook a Post-doctoral Research Fellowship at the Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute. I have spent most of my career as a research scientist in the Falls, Balance and Injury Research Centre at Neuroscience Research Australia (NeuRA) and recently joined the School of Medical Sciences at UNSW in a teaching and research role. My research focuses on understanding biomechanical,...view more
I obtained a PhD in human biomechanics (UWA) and undertook a Post-doctoral Research Fellowship at the Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute. I have spent most of my career as a research scientist in the Falls, Balance and Injury Research Centre at Neuroscience Research Australia (NeuRA) and recently joined the School of Medical Sciences at UNSW in a teaching and research role. My research focuses on understanding biomechanical, sensorimotor and neurocognitive contributions to balance and falls in older people and clinical groups, and randomised controlled trials of novel interventions to prevent falls involving balance, stepping and cognitive training. I am active in translating research findings, is Executive Board Member of the Australian and New Zealand Falls Prevention Society.
Research interests include studies to understand human balance, walking and falls in the elderly, including sensory, motor and cognitive contributions. Randomised controlled trials of motor and cognitive training to improve balance and prevent falls in elderly and clinical populations. Fall prevention intervention translation to community, aged care and hospital settings.
Broad Research Areas:
Neuroscience, Ageing, Physiology, Balance, Gait, Biomechanics, Fall Prevention, Exercise Training, Cognitive Training
- Sturnieks, Menant, Valenzuela, Delbaere. NHMRC Project Grant: A randomised controlled trial of cognitive-only and cognitive-motor training to prevent falls in older people: understanding physical, neuropsychological and neural mechanisms, 2015-2020. $1,558,415.
- Lord, Cameron, Close, Sherrington, Smith, Sturnieks, Delbaere, Tiedemann. NHMRC Partnership Grant: Implementing Falls Prevention Research into Policy and Practice, 2011-2015, $1,499,888.
- Fitzpatrick, Sturnieks. NHMRC Project Grant: Human Stepping Reflexes, 2010-2012, $301,125.
- Lord, Sturnieks, Fitzpatrick, Rogers, Sherrington, NHMRC Project Grant: Impaired stepping as a risk factor for falls in older people, 2008-2010, $564,727.
- Sturnieks, et al. Allity Corporate Partnership, 2019-2021, $200,000.
- Butler et al., UNSW Research Infrastructure Scheme, 2020, $ 151,845.
- Lord, Sturnieks et al., SPHERE AAA Clinical Group Seed Funding, 2018-2020, $44,433.
- Sturnieks. Bushel Foundation Rising Star Award, 2017-2020, $500,000.
- Lord, Sturnieks, et al. Parkinson’s NSW Grant, 2017-2018, $48,149.
- Okubo, Sturnieks et al. Cromwell Foundation Grant, 2017, $28,000.
- Okubo, Sturnieks, et al. MS Research Australia Incubator Grant, 2017, $24,700.
- Lord, Sturnieks et al. UNSW Research Infrastructure Scheme, 2018, $404,120.
- Okubo, Sturnieks et al. Meiji Yasuda Life Foundation Research Grant (Japan), 2016, $12,600.
- Menant, Sturnieks, Lord, UNSW UNSW Goldstar Award, 2015, $40,000.
- Lord, Sturnieks et al. UNSW Major Research Equipment & Infrastructure Scheme, 2015, $220,000.
- Sturnieks, Sherrington, Brousseau. Arthritis New South Wales Research Grant, 2014, $10,000.
- Lord, Sturnieks, et al. NHW Health Tenders, 2014, $470,000.
- Brousseau, Sturnieks, et al. Canadian Institutes of Health Research seed funding, 2013, $10,000.
- Lord, et al. NSW Health NHMRC Partnership Grant co-funding, 2010, $375,000.
- Sturnieks. Ramaciotti Foundation Grant, 2009, $29,945.
- Lord SR, Sturnieks DL, Fitzpatrick RC. NHMRC Equipment Grant, 2007. $28,197.
- Finch, Sturnieks, et al. Dept Health and Ageing Community Grants Program, 2007-2008, $188,212.
- Fitzpatrick, Lord, Butler, Sturnieks, Gandevia. Ramaciotti Foundation Grant, 2004, $20,000.
- Fitzpatrick, Lord, Butler, Sturnieks, Gandevia. NHMRC Equipment Grant, 2004, $30,000.
Ph.D., The University of Western Australia, Perth.
B.App.Sc. (Hons 1A), RMIT University, Melbourne.
My Research Activities
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
I am available to supervise ILP, Honours, Masters, PhD in topics related to balance control, fall risk in older and clinical populations, fall prevention interventions, translation of balance training and fall prevention programs in community, hospital, aged care settings.
I am currently supervising ILP, Honours, Masters and PhD students.