Professor Wang is the Head of the School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering. Previously he held the appointments are the Director of the Sir Lawrence Wackett Aerospace Research Centre at RMIT University between 2009 and 2016, and the Head of Advanced Composites Technologies at the Defence Science and Technology Organisation between 1995 and 2009. He received his PhD from the University of Sheffield in 1991, and Bachelor degree from...view more
Professor Wang is the Head of the School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering. Previously he held the appointments are the Director of the Sir Lawrence Wackett Aerospace Research Centre at RMIT University between 2009 and 2016, and the Head of Advanced Composites Technologies at the Defence Science and Technology Organisation between 1995 and 2009. He received his PhD from the University of Sheffield in 1991, and Bachelor degree from Huazhong University Science and Technology in 1985.
He has published 290 technical papers that have attracted 5500 citations with an H-index of 42 according to Google Scholar. During the past six years, he has been awarded 13 ARC grants and has attracted over $10 million research funding.
Prof Wang has held several professional appointments that include being a member of the ARC College of Experts and Chair of the National Committee on Applied Mechanics. In these roles, he has made significant contributions to promoting research, teaching and engineering practices in Australia and overseas.
List of publications:
Some current research projects include:
- ARC-Discovery project (2015-2017) Baseline-free Methods for Early Damage Diagnosis using Nonlinear Ultrasound. Prof. Chun H. Wang, A/Prof M. Veidt (UQ), Prof. W-K Chiu (Monash), Prof. F. Rose (DSTO), Prof. H. Sohn (KAIST)
Self-generated nonlinear waves for non-destructive evaluation and structural health monitoring techniques. Major applications: (a) impact damage in advanced composite materials, (b) non-destructive evaluation of structures made by additive manufacturing, and (3) detection of hard-to-inspect locations in unitized structures
- ARC-Linkage project (2015-2017) Strong and durable flame-retarding composites by multi-scale encapsulation and reinforcement. Dr Jun Ma, Professor Chun Wang, Professor Adrian Mouritz, Professor Jian Xu, Associate Professor Hsu Kuan, Mr Tony Zong, Mr Zhong Wang
- ARC-Linkage project (2015-2017) Multifunctional three-dimensional non-crimp fibre preforms for polymer composites: innovative high-value products for the Australian textiles industry. Professor Adrian Mouritz, Professor Chun Wang, Associate Professor Floreana Coman
- ARC-Discovery Project (2014-2016) Aligning and Chaining Carbon Nanofillers in Fibre Composites: Synergistically Improving Damage Tolerance and Diagnosis. Investigators: Prof Chun H. Wang, Dr. Jin Zhang, Prof. Adrian P. Mouritz, A/Prof K. Ghorbani, Prof Anthony Kinloch (FRS, Imperial College of London)
To advance a new concept of aligning nano-scale reinforcements along the thickness direction of composite materials. The new composite material will offer dual scale reinforcement to address through-thickness weaknesses of fibre-reinforced composites and improved electrical conductivity.
- ARC-Linkage Project (2012-2016) Improving affordability of composite materials to meet sustainability challenges: carbon fibre wheel to drive clean technology. Chief Investigators: Prof Chun H. Wang, Prof A. Mouritz, Dr A. Akbar; Dr T. Hilditch, Dr A Alireza; Dr M. Dingle; Prof Q. Yang and Dr B Cox
The project will develop new technologies to improve the affordability of carbon fibre composites for non-aerospace applications. The outcome of this project will greatly accelerate the insertion of lightweight composites in clean energy products, such as carbon fibre composite wheels, to drastically reduce CO2 emissions of road transport.
- Reversible hydrogen fuel cell technology, Capability Technology Demonstrator (2014-2016), Department of Defence. A/Prof. John Andrews and Prof. Chun Wang