Field of Research (FoR)
Professor Rebecca Ivers is Head, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, UNSW Sydney, honorary Professorial Fellow at the George Institute for Global Health, and NHMRC Senior Research Fellow. Ivers leads a global research program focusing on the prevention and management of injury. Trained as an epidemiologist, her research interests focus on the prevention of injury, trauma care, and the research to policy transfer in both high and...view more
Professor Rebecca Ivers is Head, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, UNSW Sydney, honorary Professorial Fellow at the George Institute for Global Health, and NHMRC Senior Research Fellow. Ivers leads a global research program focusing on the prevention and management of injury. Trained as an epidemiologist, her research interests focus on the prevention of injury, trauma care, and the research to policy transfer in both high and low income countries. She has a substantial program of research addressing the global burden of injury, with a particular focus on equity and the social determinants of health, taking a life course approach. Her work has a strong focus on implementation and sustainability. Ivers has worked extensively with the World Health Organisation, contributing to multiple Good Practice Guides and global advocacy across unintentional injury.
- Pearson SA, Jorm L, Chambers G, Dobbins T, Falster K, Harris I, Guy R, Havard A, Ivers R, Jaffe A, Levi C, Lingam R, Liu B, Sedrakyan A, Woodward M, Vajdic C, Zoega H. A “Big Data” Platform for Real World Evidence in Health, UNSW Research Infrastructure Scheme.
- Ivers R, Andersen M, Hunter K, Erskine C, Spencer W, Corby C, McCausland R, MacGillivray P, Clapham K. Community led solutions to prevent Aboriginal child injury. The Australian Prevention Partnership Centre, MRFF Boosting Preventive Health Research Program, 2019. https://preventioncentre.org.au/our-work/research-projects/community-led-solutions-to-prevent-aboriginal-child-injury/
- Ivers R, Sherrington C, Clapham K, Mackean T, Keay L, Clemson L, Tiedemann A, Hill A, Simpson J, Ryder C. Preventing falls in older Aboriginal people: The Ironbark Trial. NHMRC Project Grant 2018-2022.
- Steinbeck K, Skinner R, Sanci L, Schofield D, Brooks F, Dawson A, Ivers R, Perry L, Liu B, Collin P. Making health services work for adolescents in a digital age. NHMRC Centre for Research Excellence 2018-2021.
- Eades S, Sanson-Fisher R, McAullay D, Ivers R, Jorm L, Bryant J, Goldfeld S, Oldmeadow C, Searles A. Aboriginal child and adolescent health improvement through Aboriginal leadership and collaborative research teams. NHMRC Centre for Research Excellence 2018-2021.
- Hill A-M, Kickett M, Ivers R, Hill K. The Ironbark Program: Older Aboriginal People Standing Tall and Strong. Healthway WA, 2017 Health Promotion Intervention Research Grant Scheme.
- Cullen, P, Mackean T, Longbottom M, Ivers R, Clapham K, Coombes J, Porykali B. First response: Integrating trauma-informed care for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women experiencing violence within primary healthcare. The Lowitja Institute Project Grant 2018.
- Mackean T, Ivers R, Clapham K, Freeman T, Hunter K, Wilson A. Health system competence for culturally safe care: building a collaboration to develop a national intervention study. The Lowitja Institute Project Grant 2017-2018.
- Mackean T, Baum F, Wilson A, Willis E, Kelly J, Taylor K, Gibson O, Hunter C, O’Donnell K, Dwyer J, Ivers R (AI), Edmondson W. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Worker’s and Liaison Officer’s role in quality acute health care services. NHMRC Project Grant 2018-2022.
- Vallmuur K, Ivers R, Harrison J, Nottage L, Barker R. Evaluating consumer product regulatory responses to improve child safety. Australian Research Council Discovery Grant 2017-2020.
- Keay L, Clemson L, Ivers RQ, Tiedeman A, McCluskey P, Ramulu P. PlaTFORM: PrevenTing Falls in a high risk, vision impaired population through specialist ORientation and Mobility services: a randomised trial. NHMRC Project Grant 2016-2019.
- Harris I, Buchbinder R, Ivers R, Naylor J, Balogh Z, Smith P. CROSSFIRE: Combined Randomised and Observational Study of Surgery for Fractures In the distal Radius in the Elderly. NHMRC Project Grant 2016-2018.
- Dinh M, Byrne CM, Waugh R, Ivers R. Shock Management and Advanced Radiology in Trauma Teams. Motor Accidents Authority of NSW 2015-2017.
- Ivers R, Senserrick T, Norton R. The Drive Study – risk factors for injury in young drivers. NRMA-ACT Road Safety Trust 2015-2016.
- Ivers R, Bhandari M, Devereaux P, Sancheti P, Thabane L, Norton R, Guyatt G, Jagnoor J; International Orthopaedic Multicenter Study in Fracture Care (INORMUS). NHMRC Project Grant 2015-2019.
- Eades S, Banks E, Ward J, Wilkes E, Ivers R, Liu B, Gray D, D’Este C, Williamson A, Roseby R. Forgotten Generation: Understanding health trajectories in Aboriginal adolescents and youth. NHMRC Project Grant 2015-2019.
- Bhandari M, Deveraux PJ, Guyatt G, Thabane L, Ivers R. International Orthopaedic Multicenter Study in Fracture Care (INORMUS). Canadian Institutes of Health Research – Operating Grant 2014-2016.
- Ivers RQ, Holland A, Kimble R, Clapham K, Lo S, Daniels J, Hendrie D. Understanding burn injuries in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children: treatment, access to services and outcomes. NHMRC Project Grant 2014-2018.
- Dinh M, Ivers RQ, Paolini R, Muscatello D, Green T, Middleton P, Bein K, Chalkley D. Demand for Emergency Service Trends IN Years 2010-14 (DESTINY10.14): A population based study of Emergency Department utilisation and length of stay in New South Wales. Agency for Clinical Innovation NSW, 2014-2016.
- Ivers RQ, Keay L, co-principal investigators. Driving Change: Evaluation of an Aboriginal road injury program. Aboriginal Injury Prevention and Safety Promotion Demonstration Grants Program, NSW Health/Transport for NSW 2013-2016.
- Ivers RQ, Keay L, Sherrington C, Tiedemann A, Broe T, Cumming R. Fall prevention in older Aboriginal people in NSW. Aboriginal Injury Prevention and Safety Promotion Demonstration Grants Program, NSW Health 2013-2016.
- Gruen R, Fitzgerald M, O’Reilly G, Cameron P, Ivers R – co-principal investigators. Reducing the burden of injury in India and Australia through development and piloting of improved systems of care. Australia-India Strategic Research Fund Grand Challenge 2013-2017.
- Cameron I, Ivers R, Blythe F, Gabbe B, Maher C, Collie A, Kenardy J, Derrett S, Nicholas M, Boufous S, Willcock S. Inception cohort of motor vehicle related injury 2012-2015. Motor Accidents Authority of NSW 2012-2017.
- Keay L, Ivers RQ, Boufous S. Evaluation of a program to enable older, at-risk drivers to stop or limit driving, but maintain mobility. Australian Research Council Discovery Grant 2011-2013.
- Ivers RQ, Clapham KF, Harrison JE, Senserrick TM, Gruen RL, Martiniuk AL Road safety and Aboriginal people. Australian Research Council Discovery Grant, 2011-2014.
- Steinbeck K, Hawke C, Hazell P, Skinner S, Ivers R, Booy R, Cumming R, Fulcher G. Adolescent Rural Cohort Study Hormones, Health, Education, Environments and Relationships. NHMRC Project Grant 2011-2014.
- Ivers RQ, Bilston L, Stevenson M, Brown J, Simpson J.Buckle up safely: pre-school based interventions for appropriate use of child restraints. NHMRC Project Grant 2009-2012.
- NHMRC Elizabeth Blackburn Fellowship Public Health Award 2018
- NSW Public Health Association Public Health Impact Award; July 2014
- Australian Injury Prevention Network (AIPN): 2013 AIPN Award for Sustained Achievement
- Category Winner, Innovation. 100 women of influence (Australian Financial Review/Westpac); 2014
- Young Tall Poppy Award for Science; October 2008
- National Health and Medical Research Council Achievement Award 2007
My Research Activities
Ivers has overseen studies examining the burden and risk factors for injury in low-income settings (including Vietnam, India and China). Current global projects involve a large scale initiative implementing community drowning interventions in Bangladesh (https://www.georgeinstitute.org.au/sites/default/files/barisal-project-factsheet.pdf) , and work on scaleable interventions for drowning in India and Vietnam. She also leads work on fracture care and works with investigators from McMasters University on a NHMRC funded prospective study of 40,000 people examining the incidence and predictors of mortality in people sustaining traumatic fractures in low income country settings (http://www.inormus.ca). In Australia she has led large pragmatic trials across multiple areas of road safety and falls, and works with a team of investigators and PhD candidates on NHMRC funded work on burn care in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children, focusing on patient outcomes and development of culturally safe models of care. With a large team of investigators and collaborators, she is now commencing work on a NHMRC funded cluster randomised control trial of a healthy ageing program, the Ironbark Program, to evaluate effectiveness in preventing falls in older Aboriginal people. Her work on development and implementation of driver licensing support programs for young Aboriginal people has directly influenced government funding of support programs across multiple states. Ivers is also an investigator on three Centres of Research Excellence in adolescent health, one focusing on Aboriginal child and adolescent heath (https://www.crereach.org.au/), one on access to health services (https://www.why.org.au/) and one commencing in 2020 on Driving Global Investment in Adolescent Health at the University of Melbourne.