Application for NCI Resources in 2022
|Call for applications||1 November 2021|
|Deadline for application submission||6 December 2021|
|Provisional allocations available||1 January 2022|
|Final allocations available||31 January 2022|
Every year, the UNSW Resource Allocation Scheme provides UNSW researchers with millions of hours of high-performance computing (HPC) resources at NCI, one of the largest supercomputing facilities in Australia. The peak HPC system at NCI is Gadi, which was ranked the 24th most powerful supercomputer in the world (June 2020). Gadi comprises 4,247 compute nodes, with a total of 184,456 Intel CPU cores, 640 Nvidia V100 GPUs, and between 128GB and 3TB memory per node.
Resource allocations are assigned to NCI projects for a calendar year. So even if you have an existing project with a resource allocation, it is still necessary to apply for a new resource allocation if you want to use the project next year.
How to apply
If you would like to use Gadi in 2022, there are 2 different ways of obtaining compute time for your project from the UNSW Resource Allocation Scheme:
Submit a proposal to the NCMAS scheme during the annual application process (18 Aug – 5 Oct) which automatically qualifies you for a top-up from the UNSW scheme
Submit a proposal directly to the UNSW scheme during the annual application process (1 Nov – 6 Dec)
90% of the resources in the UNSW scheme are allocated by these two options. The remaining 10% is reserved for top-ups and small new projects throughout the year ahead.
NCMAS 2022 Application (Option #1)
NCMAS is the annual resource allocation scheme operated by NCI. It is a very competitive scheme open to research institutions across Australia. If you have already applied for Gadi resources from the NCMAS 2022 scheme, then it is NOT necessary to submit another application to the UNSW scheme. Your NCMAS application will be forwarded automatically to UNSW after it has been reviewed by the NCMAS committee. We will consider the NCMAS applications from UNSW researchers before all other applications to the UNSW scheme. For all strong NCMAS applications that were not granted their full resource allocation, we will compensate the project with resources from the UNSW scheme.
UNSW 2022 Application (Option #2)
Do you meet the eligibility criteria?
To apply for Gadi resources directly from the UNSW scheme you must be a member of staff whose primary affiliation is UNSW. We do not accept applications from students. If you are a student wishing to use Gadi, then please discuss it with your supervisor.
Do you have a project proposal?
If you would like to request Gadi resources from the UNSW scheme during the annual application process, then a proposal document is required. The proposal should be no longer than 4 pages (A4) and it should include the following:
Scope of proposed scientific work
Information on algorithms, workflows and software
Evidence of application scaling and experience with HPC environments
Justification of the requested compute resources
Do you have an NCI account?
Do you have an NCI project?
If you are requesting resources for an existing NCI project, and you are the Lead CI of that project, then you are ready to submit your application. See the next section.
If you are requesting resources for a new NCI project, then please create a new project by using the NCI User Portal and selecting “Propose a project”. Limit the description of the project to 2-3 paragraphs in Step #2, and make sure that the UNSW allocation scheme is selected in Step #5. This procedure will create a new project with a small resource allocation in Q4 2021. However, the primary objective of this procedure is to generate an NCI project code that can be used in your main application for resources in 2022.
Submit your application
When you have become the Lead CI of an NCI project, then you are ready to complete the online application form for resources from the UNSW scheme in 2022.
The application form should only be completed by the Lead CI of an NCI project. Students are not eligible to apply; instead, students should ask their supervisor to complete the application.
In the application form, the amount of requested resources is for the whole year and it is in units of kSU. The resources granted to the project for the year will be subdivided and allocated on a quarterly basis.
The application process is competitive. All applications will be rated by the Faculties.
Allocation adjustments will be made each quarter to ensure high utilisation of resources. This means that underutilised projects can expect quarterly allocation reductions, and projects that exhaust their allocation before the end of a quarter may request top-ups.