What type of classification and approval for my dealing?

If you already know what type of approval you require (Exempt, NLRD, DNIR or DIR) go directly to the application instructions.

Find your approval type

Follow these steps to find out the type of approval you need for your work with a genetically modified organism (GMO):

  1. Determine whether your work involves the use of "gene technology" or "GMOs" by checking the list of techniques that are NOT gene technology or organisms that are NOT GMOs. If your work or GMO is on the list then approval is not required and you do not need to proceed any further.
  2. If your project involves the intentional release of a GMO into the environment, then a DIR licence will be required.
  3. Before proceeding to the next step you will need to know whether the hosts and vectors you will be using are included on the Exempt Host / Vector list
  4. Choose the description that best fits your work from the following list and view the flowcharts for appropriate processes.
    • If your project involves work with viral vectors or genetically modified viruses, use this guide and these flow charts to work out the classification of the dealing. If you intend to request the reclassification of stably transfected cell lines or animals infected with replication defective retroviral vector, please refer to these guidance guidelines. Once the guides and charts have been reviewed, download the appropriate application form.



Information provided on this page, and the corresponding flow charts, was originally researched and produced by the University of Melbourne IBC and Office for Research Ethics and Integrity. The UNSW GTRC is grateful for permission to reproduce this information here.