Fields of Research (FoR)Group Theory and Generalisations, Operator Algebras and Functional Analysis, Mathematical Aspects of Quantum and Conformal Field Theory, Quantum Gravity and String Theory, Category Theory, K Theory, Homological Algebra
Since July 2020 (after being a Lecturer for two years) I am a Senior Lecturer (tenure position) in the Department of Pure Mathematics at the University of New South Wales (UNSW) in Sydney. I was previously a Research Assistant at the University of Rome Tor Vergata in the team of Prof Roberto Longo, an Assistant Professor at Vanderbilt University (USA) under the guidance of Prof Dietmar Bisch and a Postdoctoral Researcher in the group of Prof...view more
Since July 2020 (after being a Lecturer for two years) I am a Senior Lecturer (tenure position) in the Department of Pure Mathematics at the University of New South Wales (UNSW) in Sydney. I was previously a Research Assistant at the University of Rome Tor Vergata in the team of Prof Roberto Longo, an Assistant Professor at Vanderbilt University (USA) under the guidance of Prof Dietmar Bisch and a Postdoctoral Researcher in the group of Prof Stefaan Vaes in KU Leuven (Belgium). I was co-supervised by Fields Medallist Vaughan Jones at UC Berkeley and by Prof Andrzej Zuk at the University of Paris Diderot for my Ph.D. that I completed in 2011 in Paris.
Here is an interview of myself (in french) realized by Camille Saumard for the company LumenAi.
- January 2020--December 2022. ARC (Australian Research Council) Discovery Project DP200100067: Physical realisation of enriched quantum symmetries joint with Pinhas Grossman, Scott Morrison and James Tener.
- February 2019 AMSI Scientific Workshop Funding with additional support of AustMS, “Subfactors in Sydney”.
- July 2018--June 2020. University of New South Wales Sydney Starting Grant.
- June 2016. Short stay support sponsored by the Hausdorff Research Institute for Mathematics.
- June-August 2016. NSF summer support sponsored by Vaughan Jones.
- June-August 2015. NSF summer support sponsored by Vaughan Jones.
- July-August 2010. Short stay support sponsored by the Mathematical Foundation of France for the ICM 2010 in Hyderabad in India.
- March-May 2009. Short stay support sponsored by the Mathematical Foundation of Paris for visiting UC Berkeley.
- September 2008 -- Aug. 2011. Full grant scholarship, Ph.D. program fellowship of Region Iles de France.
- September 2004 -- Aug. 2008. Full grant scholarship as a student of ENS Cachan.
2016. Winner of the Samir Aldroubi and Amira Azhari Prize for Excellence in Postdoctoral Research which is awarded every two years to recognize the research achievements of current and recent postdoctoral fellows in the department of Mathematics of Vanderbilt University, USA.
My Research Activities
Some of my recent themes of interest include the following:
-Operator algebraic treatment of lattice gauge theories;
-Actions of Thompson groups constructed via Jones' technology;
-Actions of locally compact groups on von Neumann algebras;
-Classification and analytical properties of subfactors/tensor categories.
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
Operator algebras, mathematical physics, group theory, Jones subfactor theory, quantum field theory, von Neumann algebras and more.
I am right now working on a recent connection due to Vaughan Jones between conformal field theory, Thompson groups and knot theory. I would be particularly interested to supervise students in that direction.
I have been recently studying finiteness properties of groups. This involves constructing simplicial complexes and getting informations on their homotopy and homology groups. I would be very interested to supervise students on this topics between group theory and algebraic topology.
- Fev. 2019--Present. Co-supervisor (together with Ian Doust) of Allan Stoneham for his Ph.D. thesis.
- June 2020--April 2021. Supervisor of Ryan Seelig for his Honours thesis.
- Fev. 2020--Dec. 2020. Supervisor of Christian de Nicola Larsen for his Honours thesis.
- Fev 2021--Present. Joint supervisor (together with Ian Doust and Pinhas Grossman) of Christian de Nicola Larsen for his Ph.D. thesis.
- Fev. 2021--Dec. 2021. Supervisor of Dilshan Wijesena for his Honours thesis.
- April 2020--Present. Contributing editor of the online magazine Parabola published by the School of Mathematics and Statistics of UNSW in partnership with the Australian Mathematics Trust.
- March 2020--Present. Organiser of the Pure Math Seminar at UNSW.
- March 2020--Present. Co-organiser of the Joint Colloquium of Mathematics of University of Sydney and UNSW.
- January 2020--Present. Member of the Australian and New Zealand Association of Mathematical Physics.
- July 2018--Present. Member of the Publicity committee at UNSW.
- Reviewer for scientific journals, e.g. Bulletin of the London Mathematical Society, Communication in Mathematical Physics, Journal of Combinatorial Algebra , Proceeding of Mathematical Sciences, Physical Review Letters.
- Sept.--Dec. 2020. Lecturer for the class Higher Complex Analysis.
- June--Aug. 2020. Lecturer for the class Functional Analysis.
- Sept.--Dec. 2019. Lecturer for the class Higher Complex Analysis.
- Feb.--May 2019. Lecturer for the class Calculus.
- Aug.--Dec. 2018. Lecturer for the class Complex Analysis.