Fields of Research (FoR)International economics, International relations, Public policy, Intellectual property law, Political economy and social change
I am a Lecturer in Politics and International Relations. My research interests include the political economy of intellectual property (notably international copyright law), free trade agreements, historical institutionalism and the intersection of international political economy and security studies. I have taught across of variety of topics, including globalisation, international political economy, security studies, terrorism and crime, and...view more
I am a Lecturer in Politics and International Relations. My research interests include the political economy of intellectual property (notably international copyright law), free trade agreements, historical institutionalism and the intersection of international political economy and security studies. I have taught across of variety of topics, including globalisation, international political economy, security studies, terrorism and crime, and American Politics.
I joined UNSW in August 2021. Prior to that I worked as a Lecturer and Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Department of Government and International Relations at the University of Sydney, where I was awarded my PhD in 2019. In 2019, I also held postdoctoral fellowship at the Graduate School of International Studies and was an adjunct professor in the Political Science Department at the Université Laval, Canada. Prior to academia I work as a Policy Advisor and consumer advocate in the not-for-profit sector.
My research has been published in leading international journals, including Regulation & Governance, Global Policy, The Pacific Review, Business and Politics, Internet Policy Review, Policy Studies, and the International Journal of Public Administration.
Georges-Henri-Lévesque Fund, Université Laval ($20,000CAD). 2019.
Bachelor of Economics and Social Sciences, Honours (First Class). The University of Sydney. Awarded 2012.
Doctor of Philosophy. The University of Sydney. Awarded 2019.
The E-International Relations' Article Award. 2018.
Research Training Program Stipend Scholarship, Australian Government. 2015-2018.
RN Spann Scholarship, the University of Sydney ($1000). 2015.
Helen Nelson Prize for the Best Thesis in IVth Year Honours Government and International Relations. 2012.
My Research Activities
My current research interests examines the intersection of international political economy and security studies - particularly with respect to political power of multinational corporations. I am also working further develop my contributions to historical institutionalism.
My current projects include:
- ‘Copyright and the internet: the political economy of international copyright law’ – book manuscript, being pursued with publishers.
- A journal article manuscript examining the construction of a new international economic order following the end of the Bretton Woods system in the 1970s. Currently under review.
- ‘Private Authority as Public Authority’ (with Guillaume Beaumier) – article examining the use of corporate power as an extension of state power.
- ‘Intellectual Property Rights and Justice’ (with Jean-Frédéric Morin) – a book chapter in an edited volume on justice in the global economy.
- ‘EU and US initiatives on IP in Asia-Pacific: Competition, Coordination or Duplication?’ (with Jean-Frédéric Morin) - a book chapter in an edited volume on EU economic policy in the Asia Pacific. In press.
- ‘Universities and advocacy organisations: Research engagement for social change’ (with Anika Gauja, Madeleine Pill, Ariadne Vromen, Amy Conley Wright, Anna Boucher and Noah d’Mello) – a policy report examining the potential for research collaboration between universities and the advocacy sector. To be published by the Sydney Policy Lab.
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
I am able to supervise students researching international political economy, free trade agreements, geo-economics, hegemony and world order, the digital economy and technological disruption, intellectual property law, and corporate power.
Reviewer for journals:
- International Security
- Review of International Political Economy
- Business and Politics
- Internet Policy Review
- Third World Quarterly
- ARTS3850-Security in Asia: Politics Meets Economics
- POLS5122-International Political Economy