Drugs, drug policy, government decision-making around drugs
Field of Research (FoR)
Professor Alison Ritter is an internationally recognised drug policy scholar and the Director of the Drug Policy Modelling Program (DPMP) at the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre (NDARC) at the University of New South Wales. She is an NHMRC Senior Research Fellow leading a multi-disciplinary program of research on drug policy. The goal of the work is to advance drug policy through improving the evidence-base, translating research and...view more
Professor Alison Ritter is an internationally recognised drug policy scholar and the Director of the Drug Policy Modelling Program (DPMP) at the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre (NDARC) at the University of New South Wales. She is an NHMRC Senior Research Fellow leading a multi-disciplinary program of research on drug policy. The goal of the work is to advance drug policy through improving the evidence-base, translating research and studying policy processes.
Professor Ritter worked as a clinical psychologist in the alcohol and drug treatment sector prior to commencing full-time research. She has contributed significant policy and practice developments across alcohol and drug policy over many years. She is the immediate past President of the International Society for the Study of Drug Policy, Vice-President of the Alcohol and Drug Council of Australia and an Editor for a number of journals, including Drug and Alcohol Review, and the International Journal of Drug Policy.
Professor Ritter has an extensive research grant track record ($31m). She has published widely in the field including two edited books; multiple book chapters and more than 180 other publications.
Selected Research Projects:
- The science-policy interface in policy theories: A comparative case study of street level policing for illicit drugs
- Review of the drug and alcohol prevention and treament services sector
- Illicit drug trafficking: the structure of illicit networks and implications for resilience and vulnerability
- Australian government spending on drugs (drug budgets)
- Centre of Research Excellence into Injecting Drug Use: Reducing the health, social and economic burden of injecting drug use in Australia
- Trends and predictors of public opinion towards drug policy in Australia 2001-2010
- Young people's ideas about responding to alcohol, tobacco and other drug use
- Estimating unmet demand for pharmacotherapy maintenance treatment in NSW
- A literature review of the epidemiology and interventions research for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender people with alcohol, drug and/or mental health problems
- Strategic advocacy and drug policy: a case study of the ACT overdose management program
- 'Trafficking' or 'personal use': Do regular drug users understand Australian drug trafficking laws?
- Treatment pathways from the client's perspective: informing a better match between service provision and service need
- Public opinion and drug policy: engaging the 'affected community'
- Promoting compliance, 'recovery' and 'desistance': Comparative case studies of pre-sentence diversion schemes for drug misusing arrestees in Australia and England
- Economic evaluation comparing centre-based compulsory drug rehabilitation with community-based methadone maintenance treatment in Hai Phong City, Vietnam
- IDRS/EDRS policy influence assessment
- The conservative shift in Australian drug policy (?): evidence and implications
- The 'ice epidemic': an analysis of the policy context, process and outcomes
- A consultant to evaluate the Australian Capital Territory Drug Diversion Programs
- Using evidence to evaluate Australian drug trafficking thresholds: Proportionate, equitable and just?
Research grants include:
Alcohol and other drug treatment funding, purchasing and workforce: empirical analyses to inform policy - NHMRC project grant (APP1128100)
The value of providing health interventions for heroin use: a cost benefit analysis - NHMRC Project Grant (APP1042923)
The science-policy interface in policy theories: a comparative case study of street-level policing for illicit drugs - ARC DP (DP140100219)
The deterrence effects of Australian drug law enforcement - ARC DP (DP150100910)
The social cost of smoking in NSW - NSW Ministry of Health
Evaluation of the Involuntary Drug Alcohol Treatment Program - NSW Ministry of Health
Reducing stigma and discrimination for people experiencing problematic alcohol and other drug use - Queensland Mental Health Commission
Drugs on the darknet: Assessing the global health risks of a rapidly expanding market - NHMRC Project grant (APP1122200)
Assertive Case Management evaluation - NSW Ministry of Health
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
Improving drug policy processes through participation
Treatment service system: alcohol and other drug treatment purchasing, planning and funding
Compulsory drug treatment
Studying policy processes