Software Engineering. Business, Finance and Economics Applications (E-Business, Financial Trading, Electronic Markets and Banking). Analytics in Business and Social Sciences. Software Design Methods, APIs and the Service Economy. Semantic Technologies.
Fields of Research (FoR)Software engineering, Software architecture, Service oriented computing, Business analytics, Business information systems, Information systems development methodologies and practice, Banking, finance and investment, Cloud computing, Machine learning, Data engineering and data science, Information modelling, management and ontologies, Automated software engineering, Requirements engineering, Health informatics and information systems, Computer Software, Software Engineering, Web Technologies (excl. Web Search), Banking, Finance and Investment, Business Information Systems (incl. Data Processin
Professor, School of Computer Science and Engineering. My main role is in conducting research projects as well as teaching subjects in Computer Science, Software Engineering and Information Systems. Besides my academic role, I am actively engaged in facilitating University-industry collaborations particularly in the context of financial applications. My existing projects are in the areas of financial markets, wealth management and regulatory...view more
Professor, School of Computer Science and Engineering. My main role is in conducting research projects as well as teaching subjects in Computer Science, Software Engineering and Information Systems. Besides my academic role, I am actively engaged in facilitating University-industry collaborations particularly in the context of financial applications. My existing projects are in the areas of financial markets, wealth management and regulatory reporting.
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
Software Engineering Design Methods. Multidisciplinary research projects with industry.
Large scale analysis of business information (Joint project with UNSW School of Management)
I have engaged in different activities with various organisations in the following areas:
- Software Enginering for Analytics and AI Systems: the provision of efficient software services for Big Data Analysis has enormous socio-economic benefits for many companies in different sectors
- Analytics for Business and Social Sciences: addressing the fact that big data analysis in Business and Social Sciences is mainly driven by non-IT specialists analysing vast amounts of ad-hoc data from different sources such as Web logs, network traffic messages, health sensors and financial reports means that work in areas as diverse as IoT, Health, Economics and Social science is important
- FinTech: initiating projects in areas that would be considered too high risk for any start-e.g. developing innovative products that are not necessarily for-profit, creating open data repositories, financial planning tools, personalized banking hubs, dealing with educational issues, developing products for financial literacy and encouraging financial inclusion in a way that would benefit the entire society and encouraging openness, transparency and compliance with rules and regulation.
- I am recognized as one of the few people with a broad knowledge of software engineering, encompassing not only the technical aspects but also the management aspects (30 years of teaching experience equally distributed between Engineering and Business faculties). I have also experience in developing software both as part of research and consulting activities.
- I am a champion of multidisciplinary activity-based learning through workshops and software based activities performed both in-person and on-line
- Many software products developed as a result of research projects have been used to support teaching activities at different levels (workshops, specialised courses for PhD students and Honours projects).
- I have been a pioneer in developing new teaching material at the junction between the area of IT and Finance.