Prof. Selomulya has extensive experience in the area of spray drying and characterisation of functional dairy and food powders, including for microencapsulation and targeted delivery / controlled release applications.
Field of Research (FoR)
Prof Cordelia Selomulya recently joined UNSW as a Professor (Food & Health) in the School of Chemical Engineering and as a Research & Commercialisation Director of the Future Food Systems CRC. Prior to joining UNSW, she was an ARC Future Fellow at Monash University, leading the Biotechnology and Food Engineering group with an internationally recognised reputation in particle engineering and drying technology research, particularly for food and...view more
Prof Cordelia Selomulya recently joined UNSW as a Professor (Food & Health) in the School of Chemical Engineering and as a Research & Commercialisation Director of the Future Food Systems CRC. Prior to joining UNSW, she was an ARC Future Fellow at Monash University, leading the Biotechnology and Food Engineering group with an internationally recognised reputation in particle engineering and drying technology research, particularly for food and dairy applications. She was the director of the Australia-China Joint Research Centre for Future Dairy Manufacturing, a joint strategic initiative funded by the Australian and Chinese governments, and industry partners in both countries, including Bega, Saputo Dairy Australia, Fonterra, Gardiner Foundation, COFCO, and Mengniu Dairy. She was also the director of Graduate Research Industry Partnership (GRIP) for the Food and Dairy industry at Monash University.
ARC DP200100642 Towards New Functionality in Dairy Ingredients
The Australian dairy industry plays a significant part in the nation’s economy, with almost $3 billion in export revenue in 2016-2017. Powdered dairy products extend shelf life and ease of transport, with >20% annual growth in premium products, such as milk protein concentrates and infant formula powders. This project aims to support the development of value-added dairy powders by investigating the impact of a novel high pressure processing technology in enhancing the properties of dairy powders and/or introducing new functionality. Successful outcomes will help expand the offering of high value dairy ingredients and thus increase the global competitiveness of Australian dairy manufacturing.
- Elected to join The Women’s Circle (2018-2019), a career enrichment program for 50 emerging female leaders, aimed at the best and brightest women across Melbourne’s vibrant business landscape.
- IChemE Global Awards in Food and Drink category (2018)
- BHERT (Business & Higher Education Round Table) Award for outstanding collaboration in R&D for the Monash Program for the Food and Dairy industries (2018)
- Fonterra Award for outstanding contribution in the industrial application of a novel technology in the field of bioprocessing (2017)
- Judy Raper Award for Leadership in recognition of sustained and significant contribution through demonstrated leadership within the discipline/profession in Australia (2017).
- Young Food Engineer Award at the 12th International Conference on Engineering and Food (2015) in Québec City, Canada.
- Dean’s Award for Excellence in Postgraduate Supervision (2015), and the Special Commendation for the Vice-Chancellor Award for Excellence in Postgraduate Supervision (2015).
- The Australia-China Young Researchers Exchange Program (YREP) Fellow (2013), a joint initiative funded by the Australian Department of Industry, Innovation, Science, Research and Tertiary Education (DIISRTE) and the Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) and awarded to 16 Australian researchers with the potential to become leaders in the research community through collaboration with China.
- Monash Research Accelerator program (2013-2014), awarded to top performing researchers at Monash University with the potential to become future leaders in their field.
- Selected into the prestigious Japan East Asia Network (JENESYS) Programme for Future Business Counterparts from Australia(2009).
- Chemical Engineering Science Most Cited Article Award for 2003-2006 (2006).
- Young Researcher Award, Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering (2003).
My Research Supervision
Rishi Ravendra Naik
FOOD8450 Advanced Food Engineering
The PhD project will develop new value-added products and innovate current processing methods, in a close partnership with one of the leading beverage companies in the world, Jacobs Douwe Egberts (JDE), the maker of Moccona and many other famous tea and coffee brands. The project will suit a candidate with a strong background in Chemical Engineering, Food Science/Chemistry, or related fields. Successful candidate will received an industry funded scholarship. The scholarship provides an excellent opportunity…