Support for Supervisors

Supervisors may from time to time need to manage a candidate who needs pastoral care support.  At UNSW there are a range of options available to you to develop your skills and knowledge in this area as well as services to support you.

See link on right hand side for services at UNSW to support your candidate.

Managing Students in Distress

“Managing Students in Distress” is a 2-3 hour workshop conducted by CAPS psychologists for staff at UNSW. The workshop is offered to small groups (max 20) on request by staff units within Faculty or Central Administration. It is also provided annually prior to commencement of the academic year to all college staff, especially focussing on new residential advisers, fellows, assistants etc.

 For all enquiries, please contact  CAPS on 9385 5418 or Email:

Mental Health First Aid (MHFA)

Is a nationally accredited 12-hour training course offered by Counselling and Psychological Services [CAPS] for staff who, from time to time during the course of their work, may have contact with individuals experiencing mental health difficulties in their area. This program runs over 2 days and is conducted by CAPS psychologists who are also accredited MHFA instructors. Participants receive a course manual and also a certificate at the completion of the course.

MHFA was developed in order to help people provide initial support for someone with a mental health problem. The 12-hour course is designed to give staff some skills to help someone developing a mental health problem or in a mental health crisis situation.

Ph: 9385 5418 (Ext 55418)


Counselling support for Staff

Supervisors, as staff of UNSW are able to utilise a free professional and confidential counselling service, called  Employee Assistance Program (EAP) .  The cost of this service is paidy by UNSW.  

What kind of assistance does the EAP provide?

The EAP offers short-term, solution focused counselling. The counselling discussion is informal, friendly and focussed on your needs. It can be either face to face or over the phone, whichever is more convenient for you.
Counselling can help you to:

i) clarify a problem,
ii) identify options and
iii) develop plans to approach difficult issues in a constructive manner.

Contact Details

For confidential appointments and enquiries call Australia wide to access your nearest Davidson Trahaire office Corpsych:
1300 360 364

UNSW Contact for EAP Queries

For all other EAP queries, contact your local Human Resources Manager in your Faculty or Division.

 Further details on the EAP service: