Fields of Research (FoR)System and network security, Software and application security, Cybersecurity and privacy, Data security and protection
Arash Shaghaghi is a Senior Lecturer in Cyber Security at the School of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) of UNSW Sydney. He is a member of the UNSW Institute for Cyber Security (IFCYBER), UNSW Data Science Hub (uDASH), and Information Security and Privacy Group (IsPri). Arash has previously been affiliated with RMIT University, Deakin University, Data61 CSIRO, The University of Melbourne, and The University of Texas at Dallas. He...view more
Arash Shaghaghi is a Senior Lecturer in Cyber Security at the School of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) of UNSW Sydney. He is a member of the UNSW Institute for Cyber Security (IFCYBER), UNSW Data Science Hub (uDASH), and Information Security and Privacy Group (IsPri). Arash has previously been affiliated with RMIT University, Deakin University, Data61 CSIRO, The University of Melbourne, and The University of Texas at Dallas. He completed his PhD at UNSW Sydney in Computer Science and Engineering, MSc in Information Security at University College London (UCL) and BSc at Heriot-Watt University.
Arash is an award-winning educator with multiple awards and recognitions for leading the design, development, and delivery of hands-on cybersecurity programs and courses. Before joining UNSW, he led the Graduate Certificate of Cyber Security Governance and Risk Management development and delivery at RMIT. At Deakin University, Arash was the Deputy Academic Director (Teaching) at the School of IT and the Graduate Certificate in Information Technology Director. He was also a member of the team leading the Bachelor of Cybersecurity, which redeveloped the program with a technical and hands-on curriculum by integrating several industry-leading cybersecurity certifications as part of the degree. He has completed advanced training in designing and teaching effective learning programs and holds the Graduate Certificate of Higher Education (Learning and Teaching) from Deakin University.
As a researcher, Arash has received over 1 million AUD funding (PI and CI combined) for his cyber security research from various sources, including industry, government, and universities. Most recently, he was awarded $528K as a Primary Investigator from CSCRC and Cisco for the "IoT Data Security and Assurance Framework for Intelligent Transport" project. He has received awards and appraisals for his research performance, including university recognitions and best paper awards. In 2023, Arash was among the top 200 young computer science and mathematics scientists selected by the Heidelberg Laureate Forum (HLF) in Germany. Media outlets such as the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) have covered his research findings. Arash serves as the Associate Editor for the Journal of Ad Hoc Networks.
Recent grants at UNSW:
|Quantum-Safe Security Measures for IoT-based Intelligent Transport Systems||CSIRO||2024-2026||Primary Supervisor, Co-Supervisor: Prof Sanjay Jha||Recruitment: PhD Scholarship in Quantum-Safe Security Measures for IoT-based Intelligent Transport Systems at UNSW Sydney on FindAPhD.com|
|IoT Data Security and Assurance Framework for Intelligent Transport||Cyber Security Cooperative Research Centre and Cisco||2022-2024||Principal Investigator, Co-Investigators: Prof Flora Salim, Prof Sanjay Jha, A/Prof Gustavo Batista, Professor Ruhul Sarker, A/Prof Aleksander Ignjatovic|
International Seed Funding
|Faculty of Engineering, UNSW Sydney||2023||Principal Investigator, Co-Investigators: Dr Siqi Ma, Dr Mohammad Goudarzi, Prof Salil Kanhere, Prof Sanjay Jha||Completed.|
|International International Lectureship Travel Funding||Faculty of Engineering, UNSW Sydney||2023||Principal Investigator||Completed.|
|An Open-Source Context Sharing Platform for IoT Deployments||UNSW Centre for Critical Digital Infrastructure||2022||Role: Principal Investigator, Co-Investigators: Prof Sanjay Jha||In-Progress, Project Announcement: IFCYBER|
|Advanced IDE for software security support||Cyber Security Cooperative Research Centre||2022-2024||Role: Co-investigator, Principal Investigator: Helen Paik, Co-Investigators: Prof Sanjay Jha, Dr Siqi Ma||In-Progress|
|ACRA Visiting Fellowship to visit the School of Computing and Information Systems at the University of Melbourne||School of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE)||2022||Role: Principal Investigator||Completed|
|Taste of Research (ToR) student recruitment scholarship||School of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE)||2023||Role: Principal Investigator||Completed|
Other grants (selected):
"Provably Secure and Efficient Machine-to-Machine Authentication Solutions for IoT Systems", Source: Cyber Security Cooperative Research Centre (CSCRC), Amount: $180,000, 2021-2024. [PhD Research Project, Role: Primary Supervisor, Co-Supervisor: Prof Robin Doss]
"Zero Trust Architectures for Australia's Critical Infrastructure Security", Australian Government, Amount: $60,741, 2020. [Role: Co-Investigator, Principal Investigator: Prof Robin Doss]
"Fingerprinting Compromised IoT Devices Based on Power Consumption", Source: Cyber Security Cooperative Research Centre (CSCRC), Amount: $10,700, 2019. [Honours Project, Role: Primary Supervisor]
"Data after Death (DaD): Understanding the Risks to Australians", Source: Centre for Cyber Security Research and Innovation (CSRI), Deakin University, Amount: $10,000. [Role: Primary Investigator]
"Detecting Internet of Thing (IoT) Bots" | Summer Research Project, Source: Centre for Cyber Security Research and Innovation (CSRI), Deakin University, Amount: $4,000. [Role: Primary Supervisor]
"Bitcoin Meta-data and Malware C&C Servers" | Summer Research Project, Source: School of IT, Deakin University, Amount: $9,326. [Role: Primary Supervisor]
- PhD - Computer Science and Engineering, UNSW Sydney, Australia.
- MSc - Information Security, University College London (UCL), UK.
- BSc with Distinction - Heriot-Watt University, UK.
- Negotiation Strategies for Researchers, UNSW Sydney, 2022.
- Graduate Certificate of Higher Education (Learning and Teaching), Deakin University, Australia, 2021.
- Data: Law, Policy, and Regulation, London School of Economics (LSE), UK, 2021.
- Oxford Blockchain Strategy Programme, The University of Oxford, UK, 2018.
- Project Management for Researchers, RMIT University, 2022.
- Introduction to Qualitative Research, Australian Consortium for Social and Political Research Incorporated (ACSPRI), Australia, 2022.
2018 - now:
- UNSW Sydney, UNSW Faculty of Engineering, Educational Excellence & Innovation, Excellence Awards 2023, 2023.
- Selected as one of the top 200 young computer science and mathematics scientists for the 10th Heidelberg Laureate Forum (HLF), Germany, 2023.
- Deakin University, School of Information Technology Award - Excellence in Early Career Research Performance, 2020.
- Best Demo Award, The 45th IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN) [Core A-ranked], 2020.
- Deakin University, School of Information Technology Award - Excellence in Teaching & Unit Development, 2020.
- Deakin University, School of Information Technology Award - Successfully Embedding Industry Certifications within Cyber Security Units, 2020.
- Deakin University, School of Information Technology Award - Excellence in International Student Engagement, 2020.
- Deakin University, School of Information Technology - Teaching & Learning Award: Outstanding Industry Capstone Supervisor, 2019.
- The University of New South Wales (UNSW Sydney), UNSW ARC Research Student Award, 2018
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
- I'm looking to recruit 2 PhD students with competitive scholarships starting in 2024.
- See PhD Scholarship in Quantum-Safe Security Measures for IoT-based Intelligent Transport Systems at UNSW Sydney on FindAPhD.com to know more about our recently funded project.
- PostDoc - Current: Dr Mohammad Goudarzi [Main, CSCRC Project] | Dr Shohreh Deldari [Main, CSCRC Project]
- PostDoc - Former: 3 (Co-supervisor)
- PhD Students - Current: 3
- PhD Students - Graduated: 1 (UNSW)
- Masters with Major Thesis: 3 (Completed)
- Funded Summer Projects: 2 (Completed)
- Masters with Minor Thesis: 10 (Completed)
"Turn your phone off every night for five minutes, Australian PM tells residents", The Guardian (23 June 2023). [Selected parts of interview published at 9to5Mac, etc. Translated versions of the article in Spanish, Turkish, Chinese, Greek, Polish, German, etc. | UNSW Archive]
"Digital wallet use is rising, but are smartphone payments safer?", Money Magazine (23 June 2023).
"What to do with digital data after death", ABC Weekend with Jason Chong, ABC Adelaide (17 June 2023).
Can virtual credit cards shield you against identity theft?, BusinessThink (25 April 2023). [Re-published by UNSW IFCYBER]
Five ways to protect your data and prevent identity theft, BusinessThink (15 March 2023). [Re-published by UNSW IFCYBER, UNSW Business School, UNSW Engineering, UNSW Computer Science and Engineering).
Why cybersecurity continues to be a problem for the industry | UNSW Newsroom (20 Oct 2022) (Re-published by UNSW Twitter highlights, KBI.Media, Academicgates, Business Acumen Magazine, Miragenews, The National Tribune, IDM). Several media interviews by Prof Jha based on our joint media release, including with The Wire, Reuters, ABC, Yahoo Finance, U.S.news, and more.
Podcast with RRR - topic: "Cybersecurity on Private Message Apps"
Radio Interview with Byte Into IT (21 September 2022) - topic: "Encryption and Secure Messaging Apps".
Radio Interview with Joy Media | Joy Drive (15 September 2022) - topic: "Encryption and Secure Messaging Apps".
Unlocking the secret to private messaging apps | UNSW Newsroom (Re-published by UNSW Twitter highlights, TechXplore, Miragenews.com, The National Tribune, Technology Decisions, Techxplore, Pinterest, Womenlovetech, Amity Source, The Wix)
Digging your own digital grave: how should you manage the data you leave behind? (theconversation.com) (Re-published by Gizmodo, Cosmos Magazine, Australasian Science, Australian Privacy Foundation, Downtoearth, Serenity Funerals)
"From the cradle to the grave", published by Australian Information Security Association (AISA) Cyber Today.
ABC Radio National: Data after death: protecting your digital legacy - ABC Radio National. (interviews on the same topic with ABC Radio Sydney, ABC Statewide Drive NSW, ABC Radio Adelaide, 2NURFM Radio of New Castle).
"Cybersecurity and Law" interview with Deakin Newsroom as program lead for the School of IT, Deakin University.
- Operating System Fundamentals for Security (ZZEN9217), Master of Cyber Security, UNSW Online. || Role: Course Developer (H5 2022), Course Convenor (H5 2022).
Foundations of Cyber Security (ZZEN9201), Master of Cyber Security, UNSW Online. || Role: Course Convenor (H2 2023).