Fields of Research (FoR)Electrical Engineering, Wireless Communications, Signal Processing, Computer Communications Networks, Circuits and Systems, Optimisation
Deepak Mishra received the B.Tech. degree in electronics and communication engineering from the Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi, India, in 2012, and the PhD degree in electrical engineering from Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) Delhi, New Delhi, in 2017. He has been a Senior Research Associate with the School of Electrical Engineering and Telecommunications, University of New South Wales (UNSW) Sydney, Australia,...view more
Deepak Mishra received the B.Tech. degree in electronics and communication engineering from the Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi, India, in 2012, and the PhD degree in electrical engineering from Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) Delhi, New Delhi, in 2017. He has been a Senior Research Associate with the School of Electrical Engineering and Telecommunications, University of New South Wales (UNSW) Sydney, Australia, since August 2019. Before that, he was a Post-Doctoral Researcher with the Department of Electrical Engineering (ISY), Linköping University (LiU), Linköping, Sweden, from August 2017 to July 2019. He has also been a Visiting Researcher at the Northeastern University, Boston, MA, USA, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, USA, Huawei Technologies, Paris, France, and Southwest Jiaotong University, Chengdu, China.
His current research interests include energy harvesting cooperative communication networks, massive MIMO, backscattering, physical layer security, as well as signal processing and energy optimization schemes for the uninterrupted operation of wireless networks. He was also a Technical Program Committee (TPC) member for the IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) from 2018 to 2022, IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM) in 2021, IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring) in 2021, and International Workshop on Wirelessly Powered Systems and Networks (WPSN) in 2019 and 2021. He was a recipient of the IBM PhD. Fellowship Award in 2016, the Raman Charpak Fellowship Award in 2017, and the Endeavour Research Fellowship Award in 2018. He was selected as an Exemplary Reviewer of IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON WIRELESS COMMUNICATIONS in 2017 and 2018, of IEEE WIRELESS COMMUNICATIONS LETTERS IN 2019, and of IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON COMMUNICATIONS in 2019 and 2020.
1) Source: UNSW Sydney, Australia, Scheme: Faculty Funded Postdoctoral Fellowship Seed Grant, Year: 2019, Duration: 3 years, Amount: $30,000
2) Source: Australia-India Cyber and Critical Technology Partnership (AICCTP), Year: 2021, Duration: 2 years, Title: Next Generation Telecommunications Networks: Privacy and Security Challenges, Regulatory Interventions and Policy Framework
Postdoc in Electrical Engineering from Linköping University in Sweden during August 2017 to July 2019
Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology Delhi in India during July 2012 to August 2017
- Exemplary Reviewer Award for IEEE Transactions on Communications in 2020
- Exemplary Reviewer Award for IEEE Wireless Communications Letters in 2019
- Exemplary Reviewer Award for IEEE Transactions on Communications in 2019
- Exemplary Reviewer Award for IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications in 2018
- Outstanding Reviewer award for Elsevier Physical Communication Journal in April 2018
- Received the Australian Endeavour Research Fellowship 2018 on November 7, 2017, to carry out a part of the postdoctoral research in the University of New South Wales, Sydney, in Australia for four months in 2018-2019 academic session
- Exemplary Reviewer Award for IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications for 2017
- Received the Indo-French Raman-Charpak 2016 Fellowship from the Indo-French Centre for the Promotion of Advanced Research (IFCPAR/CEFIPRA) to carry out a part of Ph.D. research in France at Huawei Technologies France for 3 months in 2016-2017 academic session
- IBM Ph.D. Fellowship Award for nine months in the 2016-2017 academic session from the International Business Machines (IBM) Corporation
- Travel grant awarded by Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), Department of Science and Technology (DST), India, for participating in IEEE Consumer Communications & Networking Conference (CCNC), 2016
- Best Ph.D. Forum Presentation Award for presenting dissertation research titled “Strategies for Uninterrupted Wireless Sensor Network with Energy Harvesting Nodes,” at Int. Conf. on Commun. Syst. and Netw. (COMSNETS) Bangalore, India, Jan. 2015
- Student Travel grant awarded by International Conference on COMmunication Systems & NETworkS (COMSNETS) to participate in the COMSNETS 2015
My Research Activities
- Senior Research Associate at University of New South Wales (UNSW), Sydney, Australia (August 2019 – Current): Joined UNSW as a Senior Research Associate (Level B) under the faculty funded postdoctoral fellowship program in the School of Electrical Engineering and Telecommunications on August 19, 2019.
- Postdoctoral Researcher at Linköping University (LiU), Sweden (August 2017 – July 2019): Carrying out research in Communication Systems - 5G wireless technology, especially massive MIMO and its implementation. Two key topics investigated are (1) smart MIMO applications for long-range sustainable backscatter communications and (2) optimizing massive antenna array energy beamforming under practical hardware impairments. Also, providing teaching assistantship in conducting and developing advanced master level courses.
- Visiting Researcher at Southwest Jiaotong University (SWJTU), Chengdu, China (May 2019 – July 2019): Conducting hardware experiments for validating the quality of the proposed novel channel estimation and optimal transceiver designs for the multiantenna full-duplex reader in monostatic multi-tag backscattering settings.
- Research Associate at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi, India (July 2017 – August 2017): Investigated green optimized transmission protocols for cognitive Machine-to-Machine communications for sustainable broadband wireless access. The timely research outcomes were published in peer-reviewed international journals and conference proceedings.
- Visiting Researcher at Mathematical and Algorithmic Sciences Lab, France Research Center, Huawei Technologies France SASU, 92100 Boulogne-Billancourt, France (January 2017 – April 2017): Investigating practical aspects of optimized RF energy transfer in MIMO, multi-user MISO, and millimetre wave communications for enabling sustainable Internet-of-Things (IoT).
- Visiting Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad (IITH), Khandi, Telangana, India (May 2015): Conducting field experiments for sensed data collection and wireless recharging of the sensor nodes in a pollution monitoring wireless sensor network.
- Visiting Researcher at the University of Rochester (UR), Rochester, New York, United States (December 2014): Studying the working of the WISP-based and REACH mote-based (designed by UR) wake-up circuit. Integration of wake-up radio and the NU-developed harvester board with Libelium motes for sustainable pollution monitoring sensor network operation.
- Visiting Researcher at the Northeastern University (NU), Boston, Massachusetts, United States (October 2014 – November 2014): Working with the NU-developed harvester board for increased RF energy harvesting efficiency. Investigating the MAC and routing protocol based aspects for simultaneous energy and data transfer.
- PhD Research Scholar at IIT Delhi (July 2012 – July 2017): Proposed various green resource allocation strategies for energy harvesting cooperative communications and optimal energy optimization schemes for uninterrupted operation of mobile ad hoc networks. Title of the PhD dissertation research is: “Strategies for Uninterrupted Wireless Communication Network with Cooperative RF Energy Harvesting Nodes”. Also, mentored multiple doctorates and master-level research students.
- Teaching/Research Assistant at IIT Delhi, India (July 2012 – July 2017): Rendered responsibilities (8 hours per week) outside normal academic work as a Teaching/Research Assistant. Conducted lab sessions for the undergraduate course on Communication systems.
- Faculty Research Committee member representing the Faculty of Engineering at UNSW Sydney from May 2021 – May 2022.
- Technical program committee (TPC) member for the Conferences
xviii) IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) 2022: Selected Areas in Communications (SAC) - Full-Duplex Communications Track
xvii) IEEE ICC 2022: Wireless Communications Track
xvi) IEEE ICC 2022: Green Communication Systems and Networks Symposium
xv) IEEE ICC 2022 Workshop on Synergies of communication, localization, and sensing towards 6G
xiv) IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM) 2021: Selected Areas in Communications: Aerial Communications (invited)
xiii) IEEE GLOBECOM Workshops (GC Wkshps) 2021: Workshop on Cellular UAV and Satellite Communications
xii) International Workshop on Wirelessly Powered Systems and Networks (WPSN) 2021
xi) IEEE ICC 2021: Wireless Communications Track
x) IEEE ICC 2021: SAC - Full-Duplex Communications Track
ix) IEEE ICC 2021 Workshop on Integrating UAVs into 5G and Beyond
viii) IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2021-Spring): Multiple Antennas and Cooperative Communications Track
vii) IEEE VTC2021-Spring Recent Results and Workshops: Workshop on Symbiotic Radio Paradigm for Integrated Active and Passive Communications
vi) IEEE ICC 2020: SAC Access Networks/Systems and Power Line Communications Track
v) IEEE ICC 2020 Workshop on Full-Duplex Communications for Future Wireless Networks (FDCFWN)
iv) 1st International Workshop on WPSN 2019, co-located with the DCOSS conference
iii) IEEE ICC 2019: SAC - Symposium Access Networks and Systems Track
ii) IEEE ICC 2019 Workshop: FDCFWN
i) IEEE ICC 2018: Symposium Access Systems and Networks Track
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
- Wireless Sensing for Human, Object, Motion, Behaviour, & Environment Detection
- Energy Harvesting and Multi-hop RF energy transfer
- Wireless Powered Cooperative Communication Networks
- Backscatter Communications and Hybrid Energy Beamforming
- Cross-layer Protocol Optimizations for Sustainable Computing in Wireless Networks
- Mobility and Power Management Techniques for Green Ad Hoc Sensor Networks
- Multi-user Multi-antenna Techniques for Joint Wireless Power and Information Transfer
- Cognitive Radio and Physical Layer Security Aspects in Wireless Communication
- Energy Optimization Schemes for Uninterrupted Operation in Context-aware Internet-of-Things
- Wireless Channel Modelling and Characterization for 5G and Millimeter Wave Communications
- Advanced Signal Processing Techniques for Non-orthogonal Multiple Access Systems
Meilin Qian as Secondary Supervisor
Amus Chee Yuen Goay as Primary Supervisor
Junye Li as Joint Supervisor
ELEC2117: Electrical Systems Design in Term 3, 2021
TELE3113: Analogue and Digital Communications in Term 1, 2020 and Term 1, 2021
ELEC9123: Design Proficiency (Telecommunications) in Term 2, 2020 and Term 2, 2021